New P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Gramps300, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I bought a new P-3AT today, and already my first question.  When I went to disassemble to do a little F&B, I had a terrible time getting the assembly pin out.  There is zero clearance between the slide and the head of the pin.  I finally slid a piece of wire in the space between the slide and the grip and popped it out far enough to get a jewelers screwdriver behind it and extract it.  Is this typical?  Sure made a mess of my nice parkerized slide.  Thought I'd ask here before getting in touch with KT.  Any help would be appreciated.

2. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Welcome aboard.
    Put FRIST hand on the grip.
    Put SECOND hand on the slide.
    Pull the slide back.
    Put THIRD hand, with screw driver, to pry the pin out. ;D

Take a bik lighter to hold the slide back. ;)
    I made a wooden mag.
    Charlie.

3. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Make sure the slide is back (at least a 1/4" or so,even a little more,I pull mine to where the beveled edge passes the pin). Remember to apply pressure on each side of the pin or you could cause this to happen;
    pic stolen from spence ;)
    [​IMG]
    You do not want to force it lose and not support each side.
    See page 13 left picture in the link below;

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/downloads/p3atv2manual.pdf
    Ya might buff it just a bit to remove any sharpe edge but don't go overboard, put some grease on it before replacing.
    Good luck

4. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Pulling the slide back to the thinner part of the slide will do the trick I think. Do they still make BIC lighters? ;)

5. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    you need one of those cheap lighters they seel at the dollar store. they work perfect .

6. RangerNDog

RangerNDog New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I just use my thumb to hold the slide back and use a 380 bullet to pop the pin out.

7. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I found out where KT came up with the dimensions for the P3AT.  I laid my 20+ year old Jennings 22LR pistol on top of the KT, and the length and height are very close to the same, although the Jennings width is considerably greater.  We've come a long way baby.