New P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by MW_surveyor, Oct 31, 2009.

1. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    New guy here with a new P-3AT. Just want to say that this forum was the main reason that I purchased the little gun after finding out all its faults and strengths. Faults seem to be easily overcome with a little tlc and preparation before the first shot. Good to see that the majority here are positive in their attitude toward the pistol. This is not my first pistol as I used to shoot pistol competition years ago. Decided that if I was going to carry, it needed to be all of the time and with something that I would carry all of the time. The P-3AT seems to fill the bill.

Got the P-3AT last Saturday and was only able to get one 100 round box of Remington 88 grain JHP. Would have liked to had a box of FMJ to run through for its first outing but from what I've seen available (very short supply here), I'll take what I can get. However, will be using the Remington JHP as carry ammo until I get something better so this worked for me.

Only preparations that this pistol got before shooting on Wed. was a good cleaning and lube (thanks to the forum, for lube points). Used moly grease that I had and CLP. The other preps were racking the slide about 150 times, painting the front and rear sights (neon orange front, neon green rear), sanding the rough spots off the trigger, shrink tube on the trigger, Houge grips, belt clip and a little sanding all over mold marks and internal drag areas.

At the range, shooting at 7 yards, first two shots in the center bull's eye (all remaining shots were within 6" circle). Boy was I supprised! Glad I painted the sights. Ran off 50 rounds in series of 5 shots per mag. No FTF one FTE on round 49. I think that the FTE was either me or dirt/fouling. By me I'm saying that this is not a range gun nor is it a pleasure to shoot, but I knew this going in so...

All in all, good gun for not alot of money and as accurate as it needs to be for close encounters.

Hope to be able to contribute to the forum in a meaningful manner in the future.

MW surveyor

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard!!

Yep, P3AT is a gun you can carry all the time even when you're also carrying something bigger (assuming your State allows you to carry more than one gun at a time).

Take care...

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

4. Hikerman

Hikerman Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Congradulations...you made a wise choice. My p3at is in my pocket or on my ankle everyday. I had it about a month and I noticed I had to feel for it..........it had become so natural to carry I had to check to see if it was still there. ;)

5. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    :) Thanks for the welcome. Gun in right hand pocket (nothing else but the gun !), spare mag in left back pocket, everytime out the door. Also, really like the versitility of the belt clip.
    When I am carrying my PT111, the little guy is either cliped in boot or back into the right hand pocket.

6. dwhudson

dwhudson New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Hello,
          Just chiming in, I love my P3AT to.  I live in So Florida and the freedom this little gun affords me is remarkable. always there in my front pocket ;D. When the weather permits I also carry something larger. But I'm never without my little friend ;).

7. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Short update

Took it to the range yesterday to make sure one of my spare mags worked correctly in actual use. Shot 2 mags at 50 feet. No FTFeed and Fire and no FTE. So far 63 rounds through the gun with no problems (except round 49 when my wrist was tired of the percieved recoil.)

Sure wish that 380 ammo was more available.

8. masteryoung

masteryoung New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Hello to everyone. I purchased my new P3AT about two weeks ago. I like it so far. Found this site on another gun forum, I think i may visit this one more.

9. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    which states dont?

10. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Welcome aboard!  Glad to hear that your Keltec is working right out of the box.  If you have a Dremel tool, polish the feed ramp and chamber with a felt wheel and polishing rouge-my Keltecs will cycle empty cases after this treatment and none of them have ever had a hangup whether I'm shooting weak hand or strong hand after 100's of rounds.

The gun is so small it's easy to forget you're carrying. I almost jumped into my pool one day with my P3AT in my front pocket so don't forget it's there!!!!