New P-3at, Thanks for all the great info

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by pahandgunner, Mar 15, 2008.

1. pahandgunner

pahandgunner New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Gentlemen,
    I'm the proud owner of a P-3at with a crimson trace laser. I really needed to thank everyone here for all the great information. With all the help here I've made a good gun even better. So far it's got 100 rounds through it. There were a couple FTfeed after about 20-25 rounds but that was with aluminum cased Blazers. The other 25 Blazers and some Rem UMC-FMJ, Win HP, and American Eagle FMJ all cyled fine. Accuracy with the Crimson trace is quite impressive. My best 7 shot group at 20yd was 3". At 10yd 2" groups are no problem when shooting slow for accuracy. Trigger finger got a little sore but I sanded the trigger and did the trigger stop mod so that should be better now. I did a good fluff/buff, added a rubber grip and a pad on the rear, and a grip extension on the mag before I even used it. It's sitting happily in the nemesis holster in my pocket, lots of practice to come.
    So I just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the super info.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    It's nice to know KT still sells working guns ;D

Glad you like it, sounds like you already keyed in on most all the little tweaks listed here.

Be careful, they're addicting.

3. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Bet you can't stop with just one! ;)

4. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Or 3 or 4. They seem to multiply ;)

5. pahandgunner

pahandgunner New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    I take it all back!!!@ :'( :'( >:( :'( :-[!!!@!!!!!!! Guess there was 1 prep/mod I missed. 50 more rounds and the small spring went through the guide hole, a common problem. If it's a common problem why wouldn't kel-tec put a washer in there or fix it in some other way before they leave the factory????? It's a rediculous amount of wear for 150 rounds. Hate to say it but I think I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow to trade it on something else. :'( :'( :'(

6. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    You must of received an earlier model, that problem has been fixed. They had a batch of slides that had that hole drilled to deep.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It was not really that common.  In the Fall/Winter of 06/07, we saw maybe 40 slides that had some amount of peening around the guide rod hole and perhaps a handful that failed like yours.  During that period, KT made about 30,000 P3ATs.  Whatever the problem was (over-drilling or heat treatment) it has long been corrected, so probably your gun was made during that time or it is a very rare exception.

You can send the slide back for replacement under your lifetime warranty.  That may take a few weeks.  If you call the service dept, they may sell and ship you a new slide right away (credit card) and credit your account when you send in the old slide.  It is not their policy but they have done it for a few folks.  

8. pahandgunner

pahandgunner New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    What is the serial number,
    HERE is the thread where the bad slides were reported, their serial numbers and date manufactored

HZUXX  *7/20/06
    through
    J8UXX  *02/26/07

10. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

That really sucks. I feel for you. My gun had maybe 30% failures to extract right out of the box. Problem fixed with a new extractor from Kel-Tec. Next my mag would drop out maybe nearly every mag full. Mag drops were fixed by a metal mag catch. Coming tio this site resarching mag drops led me to notice I had peening with mySer. # J2rxx but this has apperently been stopped with a nylon guide hole washer. All this having been said I'm very glad I stuck it out with my P3AT. I now have a reliable gun that I really like and that I carry every day.

Take care ...

11. pahandgunner

pahandgunner New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    My ser# is JAAXX, can anyone tell me approx. when it was made?

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    yours was about 6 to 8 weeks after the J8UXX of 02/26/07 :-/

13. pahandgunner

pahandgunner New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    So appearantly the bad slides were produced 6 to 8 weeks longer than they thought. Just my luck.

14. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Kel-Tec will give you a new one, don't give up now.

15. jerry

jerry New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    wow mine is j5xxx guess im screwed huh? :p

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Can you tell?

17. pahandgunner

pahandgunner New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Sent it back today. It also had a smiley issue so they wanted the whole gun back, they said they could correct the dented bullets (I hope so). I'll let everyone know how it works in about 6-7 weeks. Thank you

18. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    I hate to keep this going but mine has a JDZxx. I ahve read a bunch on this site but no place to check mfg dates. Not sure exactly where mine falls in the date game. Does the numbers come before the letters as the second place in the number????? Just trying to learn more about my little buddy.

Thanks for all the info,

CB

19. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    A call to KT service will reveal the month/year your pistol was made.