Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching Kel-Tecs on this site for months now and last night, finally picked up a new Kel-Tec P-3AT. A big thank you to all for all of the great information here. I live in Michigan and bought it at a Gander Mountain store for $269. It appears that they get more expensive the farther North you go. Hopefully I didn't pay to much. I registered it and took it to the range today and it performed FLAWLESSLY! I was a little worried because of all the work it appeared to take to get these guys to function correctly, but I figured that the low cost was a fair trade off for a minor breaking in period, even though it still made me nervous. Mine however, worked fine out of the box. I just cleaned it last night and that was it. I brought a whole arsenal of ammo and it ate all of them without a hitch. Winch WB, Hydra Shocks, Remington Ball, Winchester SXT, and Gold Dots. I plan on carrying it with the Gold Dots 95 grain JHP since they seem to be reliable. Do others carry with that round as well? It wasn't the most fun gun to shoot, I've got quite a blister trigger finger, but not as bad as I expected. Accuracy wise, I was able to keep all of my shots within a pie plate sized target at 25 feet, regardless of ammo type. I found the trigger to be better than expected. I have an HK USP that has a double action trigger that was much more of a challenge to master. There were no FTF, FTE, nothing malfunctioned. I did notice very faint smiles on a few of the ammo brands, but you could barely see it. The cases were slightly flattened on one side, but again negligible and common I believe. Anyway, just wanted to chalk one up for the people who purchased these little pistols and had them work flawlessly right out of the box (with an initial cleaning of course, but who doesn't want to clean their gun the day they get it, right?). I had doubts about this pistol, but I can whole-heartedly recommend this as a great option for a BUG or everyday carry. Thanks again to everyone's great and informative posts, they were all very helpful. I hope to have more range reports with photos in the very near future.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Re: New P-3AT Owner with good news & a range r

Welcome Matt. You are headed down the slippery slope of Kel Tec Mania. These little guys breed like rabbits. Make room in your home, you WILL have more of them. ;D

Jim, whose P11 swarmed into a P3AT, a Subbie, a P40 Conversion & more magazines than one man needs in less than 3 months.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

DetroitMatt said:
It wasn't the most fun gun to shoot, I've got quite a blister trigger finger, but not as bad as I expected. Accuracy wise, I was able to keep all of my shots within a pie plate sized target at 25 feet, regardless of ammo type.
  That's pretty good accuracy for a first attempt!

Two things about the sore trigger finger:

1. lightly sand the inside of the trigger guard and the trigger to smooth them.

2. Try to practice holding the trigger back just a little longer. It is physically impossible for the trigger guard to smack your finger when you are holding the trigger to the rear.

Packer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks Packer, as always great advice! So it looks like I'll be pulling out my sandpaper after all! Holding down the trigger finger for a hair longer is a great idea though. I never thought of that.
I was pretty proud of my groupings today. It's either I'm already used to the difficult trigger pull from practicing with the HK, or I lucked out with a better than average gun. More than likely the gun :)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to stop in with a flawless report. You are in the vast majority. Too often, those go unreported and the few with problems get all the attention. Welcome! 8)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

Shooting gloves or bicycle gloves from Walmart. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.