Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello KTOG, I found your forum looking for some info on the P3AT I purchased today. This area was quite helpful and I learned quite a bit about the gun, hopefully enough I can ask some half way intelligent questions.

Here is some info to let you know where I'm at.

Like any kid with a new toy you want to try it out, so I purchased some target rounds with the gun, PMC Bronze, 90grs FMJ. I get home, set up my target area with a few cans, load the clip, and fire.

I didn't keep an exact tally, but I think it jammed 1-2 times on the first clip. But to be clear by "jammed" it may be more accurately described as failed to eject. It may have actually "jammed" a few times in there as well. I had the issue where the shell would not clear the slide, or the next round would go in behind the spent round. The next few clips through went even worse.

I'm going to try to not be too alarmed just yet, as I've only fired perhaps 3 clips through it in my short testing session. I know I'm still in the "break in" period, but I'd like to get some feedback before I continue to see if there is anything I can do to alleviate the issues.

Another issue that appeared in that short time, furthering my frustration, was the magazine started acting up, did not want to lock in place and would pop out. I've since gingerly worked it in and out and it now seats properly if you depress the release button as you insert it and take the stress off the locking mechanism. I'm accustomed to my Springfield clip and popping it in with my palm, and perhaps I just needed to be more delicate with it. It is after all a much smaller gun with more delicate parts.

I've read the info about polishing the ramp the round slides into the chamber on, the dealer I purchased from even suggested this to me before they sold it, and offered to do that if I had any issues. I'm not sure if this will help on the failure to eject issues though.

Sorry for the long winded post, and I'm sure this has been heard many times before. I was kind of hoping to get some suggestions on how I should proceed. I do not want to void the warranty should I need to get KEL-TEC service involved, but if simple repairs are all that is required, I would not be opposed to fixing it myself.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice, I'm hoping with some tweaking and TLC this will be a reasonably reliable carry gun. I really do like this little thing, light as a feather, and when it does fire I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it was. I think I'll really like it for the times my Springfield is just a little too big.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Couple of things. Did you clean it and lube it properly before shooting it? That generally helps. These small guns tend to like to be greased rather than oiled. Check this link for specifics on the best way to lube it.

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

Also, I wouldn't be alarmed about having failures in the first 100 rounds or so. It is common for these guns to experience some break in issues. Most of them work their issues out as the parts mate up through firing it. However, sometimes a good "fluff and buff" is needed. Check this link for info on that.

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

For now I would advise a good cleaning and lube and then keep shooting it. See where you're at after 100 rounds or so.

-Brett

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
need to clean and lube with grease before you shoot it for the first time. use grease all the time. i would do the f&b on the p3at also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brett, those links are great.

I applied some Rem Oil sparingly after the first clip as I noticed it looked dry. It did not help much, but as said if grease is more helpful I'll use that. I feel like a bit of a noob to this, but I guess I am.

Sounds like I got some work to do. Thanks for the tips, keep them coming. I'll go ahead and take the slide off, lube it, and if I feel confident enough try to F&B as well.

I'm not going to void the warranty am I? Seems like this is routine maintenance so if there is an issue I can't fix they won't say I caused it? I am a noob to doing my own gunsmithing, but I do enjoy work like this so I'm thinking it won't be too hard for me to pick up.

And thanks guys, I was a little annoyed at first, but if this is fixable with just some minor work I'll be happy.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I would make sure the feed ramp is smooth and maybe give it a polish. Then check for any burrs or rough spots, I don't think a full F&B is usually needed on newer P3ats.

You may want to make sure the ejector is still in the frame. It can get lost sometimes. Also double check that the extractor's bolt it snug. Make sure you use a good fitting allen wrench and don't get carried away or it will strip.

A good cleaning and lube is always a good idea. KTs seem to run better with a light coat of grease on the slide rails and hammer interface of the slide. You don't need anything fancy, a good all purpose grease should be fine.

About the magazine. I would push the mag release in as you insert the mag. The mag release is plastic and the metal mag can cause it to wear after some hard use.

It may not like the ammo you tried. If possible try a couple other brands just in case. I know it sounds like a lot but I just want to give you the ideas that come to mind. The P3at is a great gun to have because you can always carry it. Mine had a minor issue but it shoots 100% now.

·
Administrator
31,987 Posts
Good advice given.

1. Clean and lube properly.
2. Try several brands of good quality, brass-cased ammo.
3. Do not limpwrist this gun. Especially if you have no experience with an ultralight pocket rocket, it is easily done.
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=235070

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
did you oil it before you shot it? if not, not good.

Ser.# begins with "L"? 2012

Lots of tiny metal pieces from pistol and brass when new, After lube shoot 50 and clean every time like that for a while. I like "LP" by safariland oil, i soak it down let set a while and then blow out with air, wipe down with t-shirt. No grease, because i go with my gunsmith on small pistols.. Then shoot another 50, the soak down again and blow out all stuff with air, repeat. If you have jams it will clear up after so many visits to range. Just keep digging jams out with your fingernail and keep shooting. I never polished feed ramp on kahr380,glock27,or my new kt380 barrel.. I did my ktp32, but i dont know why. Ego trip or like looking at it. Keep your barrel bone dry inside, keep running those pads thru it till super clean and dry. Take your mag apart and lube and blow with safariland or "CLP".. I like wolff recoil springs @16 lbs., but is not needed.

I thinks there are 36 parts rubbing together, till they like each other.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unfortunately this is not an out of the box shooter. This gun wants to be clean and lubed at all times and it must be broken in and/or fluff n buffed. Plan on tinkering with this little gun until you get it right. Buy 3 or 4 mags and try them all until you find that one or two that work best. If you are not a tinkerer call keltec and let them fix it. To the frustration of many I did not take that route I decided to fix it myself. But in the time that it took me to fix it myself I know every little thing about this gun. It's up to you how you handle it .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I started getting the FTE bug right around the 250-300 round mark.
Well after many cleanings and F+B.
Started slowly and worked its way up to about 1 per mag. Sometimes 2.

Emailed Kel-Tek central and they sent out a new extractor, spring and screw.

2 outings (75-100 rounds) and no more FTEs. Not a one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I gave it a lube job, greasing it per the link posted and oiled the rest. Only tried it with one clip full, but may shoot some more this evening. I'll need to get more ammo soon.

I propped my wrist on a flat surface, used a two hand grip and held it tight, took it slow and paused between rounds, and it went thru that clip flawlessly. I do need to shoot it more, but given the tips I've already seen an improvement.

I didn't try to F&B yet, since some of you said it needed it and others not, I'll see how it does on it's own first, but if I think it needs it I will try that after running more rounds through.

did you oil it before you shot it? if not, not good.

Ser.# begins with "L"? 2012
No oil first clip, didn't know better. I did oil it before loading the clip again since after it malfunctioned the first time I was looking for issues and it looked dry. It's fully lubed now, and I'll keep it that way.

Yes the serial # starts with L.

Will report how it does.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mapper. You have a good attitude and I like that. Keep working with it and you will get all the kinks ironed out.

Also, I don't mean to nit pick you... but..... it's a magazine. Not a clip. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mapper. You have a good attitude and I like that. Keep working with it and you will get all the kinks ironed out.

Also, I don't mean to nit pick you... but..... it's a magazine. Not a clip. :)
Thank you, I try. You got me on the clip/ mag. I do know better, bad habits are hard to break.

Finished off my box of .380 It FTE several times. The PMC ammo went fair but still hung, but I swapped out some ammo with my parents so I could shoot another brand, I forget the exact name, L&B or something, but it really didn't want to eject that stuff. I know what I'm not trying next time at least.

I'm out of practice rounds now, all I have left is personal defense ammo, and I'd rather not run through that till it's broken in and I'm just testing it to see how it will feed/ eject.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 2 P-3AT's both needed a fluff and buff along with break in.
I found PMC and Double Tap ammo would cause many feed issues in both. Limp wristing will give the same issue.
I now buy Winchester White box at Walmart and have put 200-300 rounds through each weapon without a single failure. :D

BTW I always depress the magazine release button when inserting the magazine. Love these little pocket rockets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
"I've since gingerly worked it in and out and it now seats properly if you depress the release button as you insert it and take the stress off the locking mechanism."

Good job, keep doing that every time you put in a loaded magazine. I have been told on this forum that the plastic magazine catch wears a wee bit every time the mag is pushed in without first depressing the release button in as far as it will go.

Actually I'm much more concerned about the stovepipe jams that I'm having again just when I thought that problem had been solved after firing approximately 200 rounds and it seemed to be sufficiently broken in to function reliably. But apparently it wasn't, and the problems I experienced last week were the same type stovepipe jams I had (only 2) when it was brand new. I'm hoping that firing another 40 or 50 rounds will finally stop the jamming, but with ammo prices going up faster than even grocery prices it's getting to be a very expensive cure. Anyway, I'm hoping more firing will stop my gun's jamming, and I hope that you won't have that same problem with yours. If mine ever gets to be at least 99% reliable I will forgive the disappointment it's caused me. It's minuscule size, weight, and a more powerful cartridge than the various .22 and .32 caliber pocket pistols I have carried before make it the easiest to conceal and most effective pistol for it's size that I've ever owned. I think the Beretta .22 I carried for a short while is a tad smaller but heavier than a 8-1/2 ounce KT, and in my opinion a 36 grain .22 bullet fired from a 2" barrel is better suited for killing barn rats than for defending against 2-legged predators.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
my first kt380, worked and worked on it, finally sent it in. My second kt380, it spit a couple days and then lube it with LP/safariland stuff and then shooting lots of reloads in it, its now running 100%... I have to admit above oil really changed the lil' pistol. I put it on everything now,, glock, kahr, keltecs, S&W...

keep us up on what it does, if ya have to send it to FLO, oh well, no big deal just a wait to get back. Flo did my first kt, shes the best there at keltec. That safariland stuff has really freaked me out. its great..

Its good you have a "L" ser.# w/life time warranty.. If you have ?, call keltec and press 7, they dont answer somewhere after 3:00...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got some Winchester 95 grain FMJ to try today. Haven't had a chance to shoot yet but anxious to find out if it will cycle this through better. Probably going to run 3-4 mags through and see if it improves, if not might clean again and do a little buffing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I think it hates the Winchesters. FTE's every shot, except the last one in the magazine, which puzzles me. It will fling that one.

The extractor seems to fail to pull the spent casing from the barrel. I found the easiest way to clear the jam was to take pressure off the slide, pop the mag out, let the slide down and push on it so the extractor goes over the lip again, then rack it. It would fling the casing out manually racking the slide.

I really been trying to make sure I'm not limp wristing, I do not believe I am, even video taped my hands and played it back.

I think it's time for another cleaning. Trying more ammo might be in order as well.

On a positive note I really like packing it. I don't trust it but I know the first round will go so I have been packing it anyway. I have been getting to the point this goes in my pocket as often as my knife. Any situation I don't want the heavier 9mm I take this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Winchester White Box doesn't have a good reputation in KT pistols. Definitely try a different brand.

If you haven't yet, you might want to try to chamber/ramp polish. I did mine with 600 grit followed by 1000 grit wet/dry paper. Got it at an auto parts store. Took me about an hour or so to polish it up nice. I wrapped the sandpaper around an unsharpened round pencil. Sand with an in/out motion. Not circular.

Hang in there... you will get it working good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used the only grease I had on hand, a basic automotive grease, and I applied using a small screwdriver and lightly dabbed and smeared on the slide rails, and other spots in the link back on the first page.

I actually need to get a gun cleaning kit and some supplies.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts