New P-3AT owner/KTOG member here

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by masterrhodes, Mar 2, 2008.

1. masterrhodes

masterrhodes New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Hi everyone. This is my first posting here. I have been reading these forums for a few weeks now trying to decide what gun to get. I am VERY new when it comes to pistols and safety. I took a NRA pistol safety class a couple weeks ago and am planning to get a concealed permit in the future.

I bought my P-3AT at Gander Mountain last Thursday. My friend has the P32 and has told me all along that this is the gun I need because it is reliable and the customer service is the best. The thing is, I took it home and cleaned it that night. Friday when I shot it, the first round was fine. The empty case was ejected and a new round loaded. But the hammer did not stay back. I took it a part and it will work by hand. It just does not work when I shoot a round. It is like the hammer block is not cating the hammer.

I have been looking on this forum and KelTec range for an answer but can't find anything. I read about the trigger pin and it looks like mine is out some but it won't go in at all. My question is should I take it back to Gander to see if they will fix or ship to Kel-Tec? Or, is it really just something dumb I have done to make this happen?

Any help that you guys give me is appreciated. I plan on being a Kel-Tec owner for a long time feel ok about this knowing that there is goos support here and Kel-Tec's customer service record.

In case it makes a difference my gun is green and the serial is JJS##. Thanks.

Sam

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG and congrates.

the trigger and hammer operation are a little different for a KT than some other common pistols

first, the hammer does not stay back after the slide racks, it is at a half way position. when you pull the trigger the hammer gets drawn back, then at end of trigger pull, the hammer lets go and fires.

the recoiling slide returns the hammer to half way. NOW you MUST release the trigger 100%. IF you only release it a little bit and pull the trigger, the hammer just falls from the half way and the trigger then becomes useless. you then have to rack the slide a little to put the hammer at half way.

You should not dry fire the gun too much. but a little to test is ok JUST BESURE IT IS EMPTY AND STILL POINT IN SAFE DIRECTION

or remove the slide and let the hammer hit your finger (yes it hurts a little, but not enough to make you not repeat)

after hammer lets go, you then need to return the hammer to mid pposition to try again. ALSO the hammer needs to be at mid position to put the slide back on

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    This is a double-action pistol. ;)

4. batwell

batwell New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I also am new P-3AT owner and KTOG member for about 6 weeks. Forum great place for info and the P3AT shoots good, carries good and I think you will love it !!! :)

5. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Be patient you will learn to love it..

6. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Hey Masterrhodes-
    I've got a JKTXXX series and love it, did you try to fire another round after you fired the first one? If not take it out to the range again and try to fire a full magazine, keeping your wrists locked so you don't limp-wrist it and get a FTE. Let us know how it goes! :)

7. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Hello, 'sup, and welcome! I think that your problem may be solved by pulling the trigger again. Normally that's not something I would say to another person but in your case it fits. Good job on your purchase!

8. masterrhodes

masterrhodes New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Hey thanks for the suggestions. I was in a hurry when I posted and left out some details that may have helped. The slide will not put the hammer at halfcocked position after shooting. And after shooting, it will not halfcock when I manually work the slide. Only when I take it apart will it halfcock again. I dry fired it a few times this way and it works like it should when the slide is off. When I put the slide back on it works if dry fired. I have done this a few times but don't want to anymore because I know it will damage it. Anyone know why it would work when the slide is off and not after I have fired a round? I oiled it up again and am going to shoot it today. Will write back on how it does.

Sam

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If you are sure the hammer returns all the way foward as the slide is released, then I don't know.

But if the trigger is just easy to pull, with the hammer doing nothing from the half cocked position, then It could be the trigger disengagement cam . This is that thin piece of metal on the extractor side of the frame, that goes up into the shallow notch in the slide. If there is something (burr or debri) in that slide notch not letting the cam go all the way up. Or the trigger bar whick the cam is part of is sticky. I usually pour cleaner down the slot, hold the pistol on its side, then work trigger to wash that area.

Hope it is something like above that cleans up and a trip back to FL is not needed

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Sometimes I wonder why I even put my assembly pin back in :-/

I just removed my slide/barrel and checked, if you hold the trigger, that cam MUST be pushed down all the way before the hammer will stop at half cock. If you thumb the hammer it back, it goes back all the way foward. (I guess that why it is called trigger disconnect :-[)

Therefore during shooting, the trigger is held back as the slide recoils. IF that cam bar is not pushed down far enough by the slide's rail, the hammer will follow the slide back and not stop at half cocked.

Now this may be the problem, but the bad news is, I don't know of any cleaning that would remeidy

Good Luck

11. masterrhodes

masterrhodes New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Thanks JFB. I shot it today but had same results. Shoots once and then slide will not engage hammer block when it is pushed back. I kept trying and was able to fire 4 rounds until it happened again. The gunsmith at Gander Mountain is out again today so will take it in tomorrow. When I find out what is wrong I will post back here in case anyone else gets this. Thanks again for the help.

Sam

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Sorry to here that. I would bet it is like post 9 and the problem is a bad trigger link, or slide to frame rail machining