New P-3AT owner here..

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JM.40cal, Jan 20, 2008.

1. JM.40cal

JM.40cal Guest

Well I got my new P-3AT this weekend.  I've been carrying for a while now, but needed a pocket/deep concealment gun.  After putting 75 rds through it today, I must say she's a nice shooter.  Not a single malfunction so far, which I'm happy about.  I was prepared for the worst, knowing that not every P-3AT that comes out of the box will work perfectly.

If you guys wouldn't mind answering a quick question for me, how are the P-3ATs known for handling hollow-points?  I wasn't able to put any through her today, but that is what I would normally carry.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG and congrates on the P3AT.

Hollow points are no problem, the big question is which brand. If you could use the 'search' you will find a post related to which brand is best occurs every week or so

3. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Check out the Sticky topic on "Link to 380 ammo test" lots of different opinions on the different rounds.

Personally mine has Corbon DPX in it. But Remington Golden Saber also looks to be a good performer.

4. JM.40cal

JM.40cal Guest

Good word. I had read a little bit already, and after taking a look at those suggested reads, it appears to me that my federal hydrashoks will do the trick.

Ya know I'm almost a little worried now that I HAVEN'T had any issues yet. I've heard about so many people having to twist and tweak before their P-3ATs worked reliably, it's hard to believe that mine doesn't have any problems :). There isn't anything that everyone should do after purchasing their's, is there?

5. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007

Clean it, lube it, shoot, reload, shoot, reload, ect.  

Just remember that most folks that don't have any problems have no need to ask any questions the other group are the folks that want to tweek it a little.

Mine has never given me any problems, not even with the dreaded WWbox ammo.   The worst problem I have is if I should take the 3at or 32 with me to the range.  I usually end up taking both.  

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Reading this site, it is easy to get that impression.  KT has been producing 1000 P3ATs per week for a few years now.  That is a LOT of guns.  If someone buys one and has an issue, they will Google and show up here.  We are the 2nd Google hit after the Kel-tec factory site.  If someone buys a P3AT that runs fine right out of the box, they probably won't show up here, unless they are one of "us".  As has been said before, you don't judge the health of a community by visiting the hospital.

Most of these guns run fine right out of the box but all are subject to glitches during the break-in period of a couple hundred rounds, which should generally be done with FMJ ammo that has an easier feeding profile.  Getting some rounds through the gun sort of polishes up the mating metal parts.  Some folks don't realize this if they have a few issues early on and they show up here or send it back to KT.  These lightweight and powerful little guns are also easily limp-wristed which will cause FTF.  If the extractor screw loosens, you can get FTEs.  Some are more ammo-selective than others.  A few need a little tweaking and fewer still may need a trip home for some lifetime warranty care.  Make no mistake, guns this small and light require some compromise in the manufacturing and in the use/care of the pistol.  They are not range pounders nor target pistols.  They are a special purpose weapon.  I would not shoot thousands of rounds each year through one, but some folks do.  I would break it in, then test my carry ammo, and shoot a few mags periodically to function test it.

You can increase the reliability of your P3AT if you give it some special care in lubrication.  They require more lube than larger, heavier pistols.  
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

The slide is very light.  Anything that slows it is your enemy.  This is why some of us like to do some polishing, AKA Fluff and Buff.  While it is not necessary, it does enhance function and is fun and easy to do.
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep2.htm

Clean, lube, shoot, repeat...  :cool:
    [reason]typo[/reason]

7. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    +1 TxCajun [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    That should be a "READ FIRST" sticky at the top of the P3-AT section!

Bobo

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I second that motion.

9. JM.40cal

JM.40cal Guest

So winchester whitebox ammo can be a problem in the 3ats? Huh, thats what I was shootin today ;D. Not much of a selection around here unless you wanna over-pay the local range or gunshop.

Anyway I appreciate the advice and comments. I've been a member of the OCDO forum for quite a while, and it's nice to find another friendly and informative gun-related forum.

10. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Can be, could be, might be. Some have had problems with it some have not. I haven't and use it at the range. If you have a wally world you might check them out for WWB. Around here they tend to have a decent price for them (compared to gun store and range price). ;)

11. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Little typo here.

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    1000 per week - thanks Alamo - corrected.

13. Corelogik

Corelogik New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    All mine needed was a little fluff & buff on the external parts to remove sharp edges and a recoil buffer that I made myself. Other than that it has been nearly flawless since I took it out of the box.

Congrats on the new 3AT!