New P-3AT owner here

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by steve24, Aug 24, 2008.

1. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Well, after much research and deliberation, I went to the gunshop and bought a new P-3AT yesterday! :)  I have been wanting to get a "pocket pistol" for a while and had narrowed by choices down to the P-3AT, P-F9 and the Ruger LCP.  

Of course, the gunshop didn't have any of the LCPs...but I had all but ruled it out anyway because of all of the quality issues that I've been reading about.  But they did have the P-3AT in several different colors, and they had a single PF-9 in gray.  

After comparing the two models, I decided on a black P-3AT with the parkerized finish.  The PF-9 just seemed a little too big for my pocket, but the P-3AT almost disappeared in it!  (I also picked up a Desantes Nemesis pocket holster).

I hope to be able to get out to the range and try my new toy out in a little while (if it stops raining), and I'll post back later with my results.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Congrates and welcome to KTOG.

as a new member you must repeat the mantra three times

CLEAN, LUBE, SHOOT ;)

3. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Welcome and as JFB says...

CLEAN LUBE SHOOT, repeat as often as necessary...

John

4. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Welcome Steve

I just picked mine on Friday. I too am looking forward to gettig to the range for some shooting. I hope we both have great result. Anyway, we will have a good time.

Bo Bryant

5. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Ok, I just got back from the range, and I'm not real happy!  :(

Out of 50 rounds of WWB ammo, I had 4 or 5 FTEs.  However, I didn't have any FTFs (which was what I was expecting).  On the FTEs, the spent casing was still partially in the barrel a couple of times.  What would be causing this, and how do I fix it?

I know that everyone says that the P-3AT needs to be broken in, but I wasn't expecting this many problems in one range visit.  Maybe I'm just used to my Glocks going bang everytime that I pull the trigger, so someone PLEASE tell me that things will get better with my new Kel-tec!

6. Proteen

Proteen Guest

Steve,
    I am a newbie here as well. I suppose you have seen my results from today. I didn't put as many rounds through mine as you did.
    Did you do any polishing to your chamber? Mine was really ugly and I would bet money that if I had fired it in the condition it was in, casings would more than likely have gotten hung up on that trash when they expanded. Man I wish you the best. That little gun can really make you smile.

Good luck
    Tom

7. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Hey Tom,

Glad you had a better first experience than I did.  

I did throughly clean my gun before I shot it, I didn't do the "fluff and buff" on it.  

After my posting, I did a little searching on the FTE problem, and have since done most of the F&B except for polishing the barrel (my barrel has the parkerizing on it and I didn't think I should remove it...someone correct me if I'm wrong!).

If anyone has any more suggestions of what I need to do, please let me know.

8. Proteen

Proteen Guest

Steve,
    I only polished the exterior of my barrell because it was so rough I envisioned it grinding on the slide port. These things are really rough out of the box. Most of my work was on the feed ramp, Hood, and chamber. Good luck my friend, I had some real nasties up in the chamber. I know what you mean about the Glocks just working without any enhancements, I have a small herd of XD's
    that I clean and lube once in a while only because I feel guilty, but my initial impression of the 380 is that it is a diamond in the rough out of the box. A real performer once "finished" by the owner. We'll see how it stands up down the road.

BTW...are your recoil springs bowed now? Mine are.

Tom

9. Congratulations on your new gun and welcome to KTOG. Someone will be along shortly to comment on holding the gun. I'm sure repeated shooting will wear in the gun and help you familiarize you with the way it likes to be fired--with a locked wrist.

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    check the extractor. It should have a sharp tip, slide back and forth a little but hard to push back agaisnt the leaf spring.

the allen bolt is sometimes loose. it is a 5/64", but a 2mm fits better.

Get a new extractor. spring and screw from KT after giving it at least another 50/100 rounds. but I would clean and lube every 20 or so

I've heard KT parks the bore. If the chamber is rough, I would recomend polishing just the chamber and feed ramp. be careful not to remove any metal from chamber throat (where the case rim headspaces)

then grease on hammer face, frame rails, and barrel lug

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hit Steve,

Welcome aboard!

I believe I know how you feel. My first P3AT (J2Rxx) had problems right out of the box, failure to extract was fixed by Kel-Tec sending me a new extractor, magazine drop which was been fixed by a metal mag. catch and slide peening arrested by installing a nylon washer (Was there another problem? I forget now.). The gun is 100% reliable now and yours will be also so hang in there it'll be worth the effort to get it running to its full potential. BTW, my second P3AT (JPMxx) has now 150 rounds through it with zero problems. Stuff happens :(

Take care...

12. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Hi Steve,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your new 3AT. Mine has been flawless since new without a single failure. I feel confident yours will be very reliable when you get the problem solved. After about 200 rounds I decided to polish the feed ramp as a preventative measure. It took about 20 seconds with a Dremel and a very small amount of Tripoli compound. It now shines like a mirror. I also ground my magazine release button down after finding the magazine was released from sitting on the gun in my back pocket with a concealment concepts leather wallet holster.

Hang in there Steve. These are great guns.

Billy

13. cngraefe

cngraefe New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Steve

This is just Keltec's way of making sure you get to the range to practice with your new baby. The sign of a good parent is the paitents to work with it. You will get through this rough spot and look back in fondness for the time you spent at the range with it.

[​IMG]

CNGRAEFE

14. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Thanks for all of the encouragement guys.  

I'm working on the fluff and buff treatment, and I hope to have a more positive experience next time.  I'll keep you guys posted...

15. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Here's my update:  

I did the "fluff and buff" on my P-3AT, polished the feed-ramp and greased the slide rails yesterday.

Went to the range today and put 25 rounds of FMJ and 5 rounds of Gold Saber HP through my gun...and only had one FTE on the 28th shot.  

So, definitely an improvement from my first visit to the range.  I just hope it keeps getting better, and maybe they'll be no problems next time!

16. Proteen

Proteen Guest

Congrats on a better day. Hope the next one is even better.

Tom
    :)

17. RJMcElwain

RJMcElwain New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    The mantra should be amended to FLUFF, BUFF, CLEAN, LUBE, SHOOT. :) Shortly after I got mine, I did the full fluff and buff, and life has been good ever since. :cool:

18. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    welcome
    you chose well ;)