New P-3AT needs mag slapped home

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jabberwo, Oct 20, 2008.

1. jabberwo

jabberwo New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Hi,

I just picked up a new 2G P-3AT. Been looking one for a while, hard to come by here. But, I'm having an issue with seating the magazine. Look for advice.

Is it normal that a slow but firm push will not seat the magazine? I've read horror stories of broken plastic mag release catches because people slap the mag in. So I'm erring on the gentle side. But I can't get the mag to lock into place unless I do jam it the last 2mm.

A very small piece of black plastic fell out of the grip when I first took it apart for it's pre-range cleaning. Can't tell where it came from...

thanks,
    Jab

2. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I can just push mine in nice and easy. I usually press the mag release before inserting the mag anyways to keep from shaving the plastic off from the top of mag trying to pass by it.

reguardless though...i'm going to get a metal mag release anyways just to be on the safe side.

3. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Jab Welcome to KTOG,

I see it suggested on this site that you press in on your mag release button while you insert the clip. I think once your clip has passed the mag release button you can let go of your release and slide your clip in as usual. However, I don't always remember to do that and my mag release button still works fine after extensive use. I wouldn't worry about it to much, because if you need a new release button Kel Tec will send you one very fast.

CK

4. Badman400

Badman400 Well-Known Member

Make sure it wasn't the ejector. ;)

5. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    i also been having the same problem. i am gently putting my mag in, then i was having the problem of my mag falling out on occasion. didnt know what was going on, then one day i was "playing" with my gun and the mag just fell out :eek: i then realized that it needs a little slap after it is in. i think i solved my problem with the mag falling out. gotta give it a little slap once it is in there. doesnt that also line up the shells? i was tthinking that i was hitting the release button, here it wasnt firmly set :p

6. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Slapping the primer side of the loaded mag against your hand will help line up the cartridges.

Instead of slapping the bottom of the magazine, try putting your thumb on the bottom of the magazine and your index finger on the top of the slide and pushing with the thumb.

Works for me.

7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Press the mag release & hold it in.  Push your mag in until the top of the mag base plate touches the bottom of the grip.  Release the mag catch.  

If there is not a slight gap between the base plate & the grip you have a clearance issue.  May need to trim either the top of the base plate or the bottom of the grip (most likely mold flash).

8. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I had to trim the base plate on one of my mags to get it to fit right.