Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new P-3AT to see if I could shed the image of the disastrous 1st generation model I offloaded about 3 months ago.

This one is the newer design (gen 2 ?) with the Frankenbolt. I immediately noticed the differences in design over the gen 1. Apart from the huge extractor, the top of the slide is flat, the guide rod now fits directly into a slot in the front of the slide (one less component to lose), and the sights are now essentially non-existant which was a disappointment. My model has the earth brown frame and a plain blued slide - the box says green but whatever color it is I like it. The gun was also filthy from the factory test firing, and needed a thorough cleaning.

The gun seems "beefier" than the old one, and this morning I took it out for the first test run. I used 20 rounds of Corbon 80 grain DPX, 30 rounds of Remington 88gr "green box" JHPs, and 25 rounds of the super hot Santa Barbara truncated cone open tip FMJs.

The gun ran for approximately 50 rounds without a burp, and then started hanging up on the (dirty) feed ramp on the top round of every other magazine. I actually found this to be very impressive, the old gun couldn't go a magazine without a failure, and one wipe of the feed ramp is all it took to bring it back to full function for the last few rounds.

I also couldn't have shot that many rounds through my old P-3AT, this new one has MUCH less recoil, even the Santa Barbara are now manageable.

Two things really surprised me. The first was the accuracy - I set the target at a measured 55 feet and emptied 2 full magazines plus top-offs in the general direction of the target. People shooting full size 9mms and .40s around me were peppering targets at 25 feet, and there I was with this tiny pocket pistol shooting at something more than twice that distance away. On retrieving the target I counted 14 holes, and the worst score was in the 7 ring. I don't shoot any better than that with my trusty P35. At 20 feet I was getting a sub 2 inch group slightly offset to the right, maybe those sights are ok after all.

The second shocker was the Corbon DPX ammunition. It had the lowest recoil of the bunch, it was very, very mild, and much less powerful than even the light loaded Remington Walmart specials I was using. That's unusual for Corbon, I assume they know what they are doing, but I could stand another half grain of powder in there.

Came home, cleaned it, Dremelled off a couple of frame burrs the shooting gave rise to, gave the feed ramp a very light polish, lubed it with Tetralube, loaded 7 Corbons, slipped it into an Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster, and it's in my pocket as I type.

PS - I like it, a lot.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I agree!! Are you interested in giving lessons? ;D

I really like mine also and perhaps should try the DPX.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you notice any peening of the guide rod hole. Take a look at it and let us know if it is thick or thin. I had mine replaced a couple of months ago and I am still having an issue and I was going to wait a few months to see if they get it worked out.
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you notice any peening of the guide rod hole. Take a look at it and let us know if it is thick or thin. I had mine replaced a couple of months ago and I am still having an issue and I was going to wait a few months to see if they get it worked out.

What is peening?   Any photos would be most helpful.   Thanks,

rw

Oh, and how do you put a previous comment to which you are replying in block highlight like I see others doing. I tried insert quote but that didn't do it.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Finch said:
Oh, and how do you put a previous comment to which you are replying in block highlight like I see others doing.  I tried insert quote but that didn't do it.
Use the "quote" button in stead of the "reply" button when posting.  Then you can cut out anything said that you don't wish to quote and only quote what is pertinent, like I just did.  The "insert quote" button is similar and can be used to quote text from another source by pasting the text inside of the quote tags.   

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Newton said:
Came home, cleaned it, Dremelled off a couple of frame burrs the shooting gave rise to, gave the feed ramp a very light polish, lubed it with Tetralube, loaded 7 Corbons, slipped it into an Uncle Mike's #1 pocket holster, and it's in my pocket as I type.
Careful with that Dremel tool.  It can take a lot off very quickly!  Keep a bit of plumbers emory in your tool box for any bumps on the aluminum; work slow.  Save the Dremel for felt bobs and polishing.

--Plex

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Some of seen peening in the first magazine, some after a couple of hundred rounds.

It's worth mentioning again (and I thought the quoted pics show above were going to be changed to mention it) that the picture on the left can be misleading. It is absolutely NORMAL to see a bit of a ridge form around the edge of the guiderod hole in the first couple of hundred rounds. It is NOT peening until/unless it progresses past that ridge and the hole itself continues to get larger and larger and flare.

-Scott

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
adamsesq said:
Some of seen peening in the first magazine, some after a couple of hundred rounds.  

It's worth mentioning again (and I thought the quoted pics show above were going to be changed to mention it) that the picture on the left can be misleading.  It is absolutely NORMAL to see a bit of a ridge form around the edge of the guiderod hole in the first couple of hundred rounds.  It is NOT peening until/unless it progresses past that ridge and the hole itself continues to get larger and larger and flare.

-Scott
Scott,

I didn't change the picture or caption for two reasons.

First, the caption under the picture says, "The first sign of peening..." which I believe is accurate. It does not say it is fully peened or even enough to cause a problem.

Second, I disagree with you about the ridge being "normal".
My gun has over 1800 rounds through it with absolutely no sign of a ridge, and I would bet the vast majority of SG P-3ATs don't have a ridge either. It may be true that some guns develop a ridge and it never develops into more than that, I don't know. If my gun had the ridge I wouldn't consider it normal and I'd be watching it very closely for further peening, that's the point of the picture and caption.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Scott,

I got to thinking about our problem with this peening thing, and I think it may be that we each have different definitions in our minds for what the word “peen” actually means.

This peening actually is caused mainly by the recoil springs pushing on the area around the back of the hole deforming or peening it. A rough or unlubricated guide rod can make matters worse by enlarging the hole at the same time.

This is the definition for “peen” according the American Heritage Dictionary:
The second definition (tr.v.) is what I think of when I use the word “peen”.

Peen

n. The end of a hammerhead opposite the flat striking surface, often wedge-shaped or ball-shaped and used for chipping, indenting, and metalworking.

tr.v. peened, peen·ing, peens
To hammer, bend, or shape with a peen.

This is how I think of word “peen” as it applies to the guide hole in the slide:
The slide is manufactured without a ridge around the hole this is normal. Some holes will begin to deform, or start peening. It’s as if you took a ball-peen hammer and struck the area around the hole from the back. It would begin to deform or peen.

Bob

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
You are right as to the dictionary definition of "peen" and the ridge techincally is "peening." BUT it is not how we use it here at KTOG.  Generally here the common usage means "it ridged and then the hole started getting bigger and I was in danger of the spring coming out if I kept going."  

And I don't know what to say about the ridge.  I have seen a lot of P3ATs and have never seen one with more than 100 rounds through it that did not have some ridge.  Maybe my samples have been skewed but I have seen a lot.

Your picture gives the false impression to a newbie that hasn't read these threads in depth that if he sees the ridge his slide is going to fail and it may very well not.  I believe that it gives them a false fear and contributes to the KT bashing/POS threads. But don't get me wrong - in all other aspects I think your picture is the very best, clear, definition of the problem.

-Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.