New P 3AT back yard report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dgodfrey, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dgodfrey

dgodfrey New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I picked up my new p 3at today from my dealer for $259. When I got home I went outside for some shooting. I was really surprised.

I shot 50 rounds of PMC bronze 90 gr FMJ. NO PROBLEMS what so ever. I then loaded it with my carry rounds which are Cor Bon High Velocity 90 gr jacket hollow points. Again, no problems. My surprise was the accuracy. A little better than 3 inch groups at 7 yards! All these shots were with the the gun straight out of the box. No F&B and no lube except what the factory put on it. After 57 shots I field stripped it and lubed it then shot one more mag to make sure all was well. Again, no problems. If any one is on the fence about buying one of these weapons, Buy it.

What ammo do ya'll think will do the most damage to a BG from my p 3at?

PS: KTOG is the best weapon forum on the net!

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    $259 is a good price congrats.

The ammo that cycles reliably will do the most damage. ;)

3. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    The best points seem to be made by, Grand Poobah. Good Luck, keep firing. Tom :)

4. Emack76

Emack76 Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    You know how it goes by now:  Shot placement is most important, Penetration is next, Everything else amounts to little.  

Personally I feel that those PMC solids will due nicely.  That's what I have my wife carrying.  In a .380 solids (FMJ) get 16" penetration while JHP get 10" on average.  The FBI's criteria is 12" minimum.  You make the call.  I'd say pick a brand of ammo that is commonly available!  Oh yeah, it's .380.. Nevermind that last part   :)

Good luck with your excellent new pistol!!!!   [smiley=beer.gif]

EDIT: Oh yeah, nice new signature doubloon! hehe

5. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Congratuations on the purchase, it sounds like you go a great deal. ;) I think that comments about placement are dead on. You can't count on a hollow point to fully expand each time so its up to placement. Shoot to stop the target, and remember that a hit doesn't mean that the bad guy will quit. My only problemm with FMJ in 380 is that sometimes it will punch through a man sized target so keep in mind what is behind.

Best Wishes:

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Continued good luck with your P3AT.

After years I still haven't settled on one praticular HP to use for SD in my P3AT. In the winter, because of heavier cloths being worn here in New England, I carry with HC FN 100 grain bullets.

Take care...

7. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Corbon DPX are what stays stoked in mine. I have tried the 102gr Golden Sabers as well and they are decent but the Corbon seem to be the hottest HP to me and perform well in all the tests I have read.

The FBI 12" thing is for if they had to shoot someone from the side (through their arm etc.) and generally 6-8" is plenty unless the person is 3-400 pounds overweight or something. I err more to the worrying about shoot throughs than I do about penetration side of things.

P.S. You will have a hard time explaining shooting someone from the side by the way so I do not recommend that generally speaking.

8. CDW4ME

CDW4ME New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    USA
    If the Cor-Bon works in the pistol and the recoil isn't objectionable, it should do fine.

9. menocu

menocu New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Why would you have to explain shots to the side in a justifiable self defense shooting? Shots to the back at close range aren't uncommon or hard to explain.

10. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Why would you have to explain shots to the side in a justifiable self defense shooting? Shots to the back at close range aren't uncommon or hard to explain.[/quote]

Hi,

Some states that issue CCW's state that you have a duty to retreat unless your life is threatened, shooting somebody to side or in the back could indicate to the grand jury or DA that the person you shot was retreating and not a threat. Gunfight dynamics being what they are they guy lunging at you with a knife may be using a fencing type lunge. The guy's side is to you, but unless the knife is in his hand, or there's a neutral witness, its pretty much up to officer taking the shooting report to decide what happened. The DA may not look kindly on your case, and you will have to explain to a jury why you were in fear of your life and make it plausible to them. I would expect in some area's your trouble will be just starting after you survive such an attack, but at least you are alive to explain.

Best Regards:

11. rwschill

rwschill New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I have been using Hdra-shoks with good results on reliability.