New P-3AT arrived w/problems: clip falls out

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ZeusHunter, May 15, 2010.

1. ZeusHunter

ZeusHunter New Member

May 15, 2010
    After much debate I decided to order a P-3AT as my new CCW of choice. Yesterday my order arrived -- woo hoo! But as soon as I got home and started examining it, I discovered that the magazine would not stay in place. It will not clip in, or barely sticks. I can get the clip to slip out of the gun simply by vibrating or shaking the gun. I found a few pieces of plastic flakes (like edges of the plastic mold) that I removed carefully, but in the end was unable to get the magazine to stay in regardless of what I tried.

I now have 0 confidence in carrying this in public--can't have a magazine falling out in the park. I am requesting service info from KelTec, and will have to go without for a few weeks while they service it I'm guessing. I have heard the KelTec warranty service is excellent. I am hoping this will be a great piece after the KelTec's gunsmith looks at it, and hopefully does a full check on it.

Has anyone else experienced this type of failure on a brand new P-3AT? Any advice is appreciated!!
    (And my apologies for such a downer post as my debut on the board, LOL)

2. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Yup, I had the same problem as you assuming you're doing it with a loaded magazine.

I solved it by holding the magazine release down, putting my thumb on the baseplate and my index finger on the top of the slide, pressing in, and releasing the magazine release.

After running a few magazines of ammo through it at the range, the problem went away, never to return.

3. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello Zeus,

It sound like a faulty magazine release, the magazine release is plastic, and sometimes they can wear. Zeus instead of waiting several weeks call Kel-Tec customer service and they can send you a new one in the mail. The Tec Werks section has instruction on how to detail strip the P=32 which is almost the same as the P3AT. The other way is to have Kel-tec fix it if you are not mechanically inclined, but if you are Zeus you can save both postage and time.

Best Wishes: :)

4. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Active Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL
    Check the mag base plate and mag well for plastic flashing or rough spots, scrape these areas with a pocket knife and or sandpaper.

5. ZeusHunter

ZeusHunter New Member

May 15, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the replies. That would be great if they could just send me the replacement part. I really don't want 2 FFL charges plus shipping. That would put me back another $50 before ever firing the thing. I'll get in touch w/KT on Monday and see about ordering the part.

Happy Hunting!
    ZH

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The mag catch is not terribly difficult to change if you are just a little mechanically inclined.  Call the service department and ask for the mag catch and mag catch spring.  Although certainly not impossible, it would be pretty unusual for a new gun to have a bad mag catch.  Therefore, as others have mentioned, look for any flashing around the base plate of the mag  that might be interfering with the mag fully seating.  If you had a second mag, you would know if it were the mag or the mag catch.  FWIW, you do not need an FFL to return the pistol for warranty service but I would certainly try to take care of that myself and save some time and money.  

7. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Who is this Clip fellow everyone keeps talking about? I'd like to meet him. ;D ;D

Just kidding of course. ;)