New P-3AT and no problems

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jjparker, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jjparker

jjparker New Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Based on the info on the list and some advice from a few LE types I purchased a P-3AT last week. After an initial cleaning and lube I took it to the range and shot 50 rounds of ball, and 20 Speer Gold Dot 90Gr HP’s through it. I had no issues at all (other than a little skin removed from the top of my right hand[ch61514]). I hope the planned improvements will aid in preventing this.

It is a neat little weapon, and I cannot wait for the accessories to arrive…

I purchased two different universal slip on grips, a sight paint kit, and two KT grip extensions. (finger not the +1).

All in all I am very impressed, though I will probably spend more time shooting my Glock 19 and Kimber SS Pro Carry.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG and congrates on getting a P3AT.

3. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Welcome aboard. Glad you like it. My first shoot on mine this week was also a happy one . No failures. I think KT has worked most of the bugs out with the help
    of a lot of people on this forum. I had a little irregularity on the trigger pull. Just didn't feel right just before release. I took it apart and buffed trigger components and feels much better now.
    thanks for the report and enjoy !

4. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Welcome aboard!!! Sounds like you have the true typical P3-AT experience!

Shoot, clean, lube, repeat!

5. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I did my first shooting of my P3AT this weekend.  It worked like a champ!  No problems of any kind.  Just what I wanted...pull the trigger and bang time after time.  I was out in the boonies without muffs so I will say that it's kind of loud but the recoil was totally tolerable and not very abusive.  If you think that these recoil a lot...you should try my 16 ounce Taurus .357 magnum revolver!  With "full house" hunting loads it's pretty "zesty" but, that's another story.  Anyway...my initial experience with the P3 was great.  I love the concealablity.  Just drop it into a pocket with a pocket holster and "poof" it's gone.  For general information, I was using UMC 88 gr JHPs.  I know that they don't expand much but the Buffalo Bore Gold Dots that I ordered from Cabela's aren't in yet.

6. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Welcome JJ and glad to hear your good experience. Even though you may shoot the Glock and Kimber more often I'd be willing to bet you carry the KT. The best part is that it is so light you wont know its there, aah but it always is.

7. jjparker

jjparker New Member

Mar 17, 2008
    You are correct; the .380 on me is much more useful than the 9mm and .45ACP in the safe. I cannot believe how easily this weapon disappears inside the waistband or inside the pocket. Great little gun!

8. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Hey, finnfur,

You mentioned the trigger feel. Did you find a need to put a trigger stop behind the trigger to cut the free travel after the trigger breaks? I shot mine the first time today and I feel the need for such. I know I read somewhere about how to install one and what material to use but of course it slips my grasp at this time. I have some plexiglass that just might get the call.

9. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    You can make a trigger stop a number of ways:

*Cement a pencil eraser to the grip behind the trigger and trim to the correct length
    *Build up black silicone in the same spot, let it dry, and trim to the correct height
    *Layer electrical tape in the same spot, then seal it on more permanently with some superglue or something

And there's probably some other ways that I've forgotten, too.

10. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I went surfing and came across the site I was thinking about
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/trigger.htm and I have a piece of eraser super glued behind the trigger on mine right now. I will probably wait until tomorrow morning to go check it to see if it corrects the little problem I had.

Thanks again,

CB

11. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Most all my guns are DAO and most KT so I think I have just adapted to the  Looooong trigger pull . The only one I could not overcome with out mods other than standard F&B is the P-40. She's a bear . In process of some PACKER mods on that now.
    But to answer your question I would try the pencil eraser first. Sounds simple and see if it overcomes the problem.

12. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Did the pencil eraser thing and it worked pretty well. Took it to the sandpit today and it seemed to help. The trigger finger was still kind of raw from the chewing it took before I did the fluff on the trigger guard so I did not spend much time popping the caps. My other two "larger" carry pistols are a Browning Hi-Power and a custom built 45. Both are too large for daily use so the mouse gun gets the daily call even though I do enjoy shooting the larger ones.

Thanks for the help.