New owner

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Jason-s2k, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Jason-s2k

Jason-s2k Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I just picked up a first gen sub2000 so that I could learn a little about modding guns.

I’m fairly new to this so I apologize ahead of time if I ask stupid questions.

I pulled the front sight off to replace it and while I had it off I remembered that I had a spare piece of carbon fiber tube from a previous project. It slides perfectly over the adapter that locates the stock forend and would just need a bushing at the other end.

The ID of the tube is .75” while the barrel OD is about .65”. Will this get too hot to hold? Does it need to be vented so that the barrel can cool? I currently only have 10rnd magazines if that makes a difference?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    850sub likes this.
  2. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    Depends on how you use your sub.
    If just 10 rounds, and check targets. Probably won't get hot.
    Not sure how cf reacts to heat.
    Blow torch a piece and see how it holds up!

3. Jason-s2k

Jason-s2k Member

Oct 31, 2017
    The fiber itself is really resistant to heat. The epoxy (or resin) that bonds the fibers may break down if the temp gets too hot, but if it’s that hot, then I won’t be able to hold on to it.

I guess it’s pretty easy to test. I just don’t want to risk damaging the barrel to try it out.

4. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    I've heard of a lot of aftermarket 22lr barrels being a very thin barrel inserted in a CF sleeve to provide a stiffer but lighter barrel. I wouldn't think it should be a problem, but I have no empirical data to back this.

5. Bubbas308AR

Bubbas308AR Member Supporter

Sep 17, 2017
    Mandan, ND
    You shouldn't hurt the barrel with only enough heat to affect the fiber tube, but it would take enough heat to render the barrel untouchable to do damage in most instances.

6. KT9mm

KT9mm Active Member

May 31, 2016
    Jason - Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the new S2K. They are indeed a fun range toy. Visit often; we want to here how your mods are turning out!

7. Jason-s2k

Jason-s2k Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome.

I’ve ordered a couple of brass bushings to fit the carbon fiber tube around the barrel. I’ll probably order a RLP front sight, although I am considering using optics and just leaving the front sight off. So many options.

8. Jason-s2k

Jason-s2k Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Ordered a Red Lion Precision folding front site and have it installed with the carbon fiber tube. It looks pretty good, but there was a good deal on a RLP forend in the classifieds here, so I’ll probably use that instead. I think it looks a little better with the forend on it. It is a bit heavier though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 5:05 PM
  9. Jake

Jake Member

Sep 23, 2017
    I know I don't have a vote but I like it better with the RL forend

10. Jason-s2k

Jason-s2k Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Me too. The carbon fiber makes the barrel look too long.