New owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by camoxjeep, Mar 26, 2009.

1. camoxjeep

camoxjeep New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Just got my P3AT yesterday for $260. Luckily for me the shop across the road was $290 and shop here down the road was $350 so I got a pretty good deal. Anywho, I've been trying to find "things" to do to make this a better carry pistol. I already took it apart and with a razor shaved off all the excess polymer, polished the barrel and feed ramp, and added the "White Trigger Stop". I plan on adding :

+1 grip extender "Keltec"
    Add Grips from "Sprinter"
    Paint sight posts
    Replace metal mag catch from "DaveNC"
    Trigger Shoe (is it really needed?)

Only problem I am new so cant go to the Trading Post yet to buy those items. Anything else I need to do or could do?

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Congrats on the new 3AT, you paid a fair price. ;)

Skip the trigger shoe, it can cause a ND as it is wider than the trigger gard. I would suggest a layer or several of shrink tube on the trigger to improve the feel.

The metal mag catch is optional IMO, I've owned a P32 for 7 or 8 years and it still works fine with the original plastic mag catch. Just push the mag catch when you install the magazine and that will reduce the wear.

The +1 is a good option to have but I still like to have a standard magazine also.

Find a good pocket holster like a Desantis Nemesis or give a search a try.

Good luck
    CJ

3. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    IMO the metal mag catch is a necessity. Check out all the posts from people who have had a failure due to the plastic catch wearing down.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    just a couple out of hundreds of thousands sold. Not saying its not a good idea, but its not like its a common failure.

-Scott

5. camoxjeep

camoxjeep New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    I'd rather just replace it than have to worry about it later. I dont mind. Probably wont do the shrink tubing as I like having the trigger stop there. Where I have it now its feels perfect. No overtravel whatsever. Will shoot it tomorrow and see how it does. Only prob seems to be finding ammo. None around here that I can find. Luckily a buddy of mine reloads and said he would reload some for me. Any other "mods" I can do? Am working on getting a pocket holster and know the one I want, just have to find it.

6. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Welcome to the group..I'm sure you will enjoy your new P3AT, and the other KT's you will get in the future as they can be very addictive :)

John

7. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    just a couple out of hundreds of thousands sold.  Not saying its not a good idea, but its not like its a common failure.

-Scott[/quote]

Others might be fine with the plastic catch. My personal and very subjective experience is the mag sits in the well much tighter with the metal catch. This makes me feel more confident with the gun. :)

8. camoxjeep

camoxjeep New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    well, tore it down yesterday morning and did complete F & B. today I added a bicycle tire grip, it came out really good and feels pretty good also. I also added 2 layers of heat shrink tubing to the trigger and I like it alot better also. Getting ready to paint the sights to see how I like them, yellow in back and red up front. If I dont like it I'll just take it off. Will go shoot it tomorrow for first time if weather holds out.

9. camoxjeep

camoxjeep New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    well, just got back from shooting today and it went great, with the exception of the crappy wolf ammo. Had 4 rounds that didnt shoot at all. Loaded some reloads we had and they all shot great. My buddy even had his ruger 380 there and mine was definatly easier to shoot. maybe the "grip" and heat shrink on the trigger helped. It was def better feeling than his, he also said the same thing. We also had a timer there and did some hand in the pocket already and hand out of the pocket timing. I was 1.2 seconds with hand in pocket dead center of target at 10yrds. 3.1 seconds with hands out of pants on target. Did it a few times and that was my average. Not too bad for a little pocket pistol. We also compared pistol in a pocket holster and no holster. We were definatly at least half a second to second faster with no pocket holster. So guess what, no holster for me. Just got to keep stuff out of pocket ;)