Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have read thru about the first 8 pages of this forum and wanted to see if I could get some help and opinions from the masses. Now please dont flame me for not searching because I have and have found many answers.

I have a springfield xd sub 9 and I feed it anything and it shoots without hassle, but the gun is to large for comfortable conceal. That being said I bought a pf9 cause of price and the fact I read alot of bad about the lc9 trigger.

I took the brand new gun to the range yesterday, using reloads that are done at the local gun shop that I always use without issue in my xd I had FTL, FTE and FTF! within the first 150 rounds. I can possibly agree that reloads could be the problem but the shop said they have to be held to higher standards since they are a shop reloading.

I also wanted to run some of the hollow points thru that I have (fiocchi 115grs jhp)The last one FTL.

Now I have read alot that it needs to be cleaned....deburred smoothed and greased and lubed....Do you all thing that those simple things with make this gun shoot properly or is that a pipe dream? I am very welcome to all suggestions and helpful links.

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
I took the brand new gun to the range yesterday, using reloads that are done at the local gun shop that I always use without issue in my xd I had FTL, FTE and FTF! within the first 150 rounds.
The XD is a service/duty size/weight/grade pistol that is less ammo-selective, while the PF9 is an ultra-light pistol designed for ease of conceal carry. Shoot decent quality, factory, brass-cased ammo. Steer clear of reloads, steel cased and other ammo of ill-repute, including Win White Box, and you'll likely fare much better. The Federal FMJ 115 grain stuff at Walmart has been a proven good pick.

As far as SD rounds, you'll have to try them to see what works best in your gun. Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense, Win Ranger and others have worked well for most folks. The Fiocchi might be fine.

I doubt you need to deburr anything but that is a personal choice. These ultra-light guns do need to be cleaned and properly lubed, however...

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

If you are mechanically inclinded and/or bored, a little polishing won't hurt anything...

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

Enjoy your new PF9. :cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
The PF-9 is particularly sensitive to limp-wristing. Not to mention, the first 100 are pretty much void as it's within the break in period.

If you have the chance, grab a box of higher end FMJ ammo and hit the range again. Don't ride the slide when loading the first round and focus all your attention on your grip and your wrist.

If you still have problems after that, then I recommend either performing the aforementioned fluff-n-buff, or call Kel-Tec. They're quick to offer service, but it may take 6 weeks to get it back. Also, GoldenLoki offers to perform the Fluff-n-Buff for $25 if you don't feel like doing it yourself.

All that being said, I've only had a handful of FTF and I'm pretty sure they were all due to limp-wristing. I also didn't experience any jams through the break in. Maybe I got lucky.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hang with it, in the end it is a nice CCW. You might get off with some fluff and buff and/or a slight mod by adding an extractor spring or something of the sort and an ammo adjustment (although I am in disagreement of ammo of factory quality not functioning). KT will make it right, I suggest that if you isolate the problem and it is such that it has to go back, make sure you write a detailed note and enclose it and once it arrives at KT you discuss the problem and reference the note to make sure they are repairing it correctly. I think sometimes they are overwhelmed in the service repair dept.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Too bad you can't comfortable conceal carry with your XD9sc, as that (and the XDM9c) are great conceal carry weapons. Shooting technique for XDs and Kel-Tecs though, are apple and oranges. There's no way to properly compare recoil control in a Full-Sized Service weapon, a Compact Service weapon, or even a Subcompact that weighs more than 20oz (XDs range around 25oz or more).

The 15oz difference in weight, along with the difference between double stack and single stack grip width will greatly effect shooting technique between the XD9sc and the PF-9.

As mentioned, Kel-Tecs can be ammo selective. It's something that most of us learned early on and just experiment to see what our particular PF-9 likes and what it doesn't like and go from there.

I have a few XDs and Glocks, but I carry my PF-9 daily because I Pocket Carry. Now-a-days, if/when I carry IWB... It's my XDM9c.

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
(although I am in disagreement of ammo of factory quality not functioning).
Over the 6 year life of this gun, and thousands of related posts, ammo-selectivity is proven well beyond even making it even worth discussing. Before even considering anything else, let alone doing anything else, the owner simply needs to try some other ammo. Again I recommend the Federal stuff mentioned earlier because it has been stellar in these guns. As I said earlier, especially with reloads, steel-cased, and even some factory rounds, the ammo is the FIRST thing to rule out. Discussing any other means of addressing the issues described is very much pre-mature.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
if u do need to send it back, press 7,,, they have about 5 people there that love to tell ya what you need,and they wanta hear from you..... mine was there 4 weeks and it only has reloads to eat... That's all I give the kt380, but they fix pf9's too!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Over the 6 year life of this gun, and thousands of related posts, ammo-selectivity is proven well beyond even making it even worth discussing. Before even considering anything else, let alone doing anything else, the owner simply needs to try some other ammo. Again I recommend the Federal stuff mentioned earlier because it has been stellar in these guns. As I said earlier, especially with reloads, steel-cased, and even some factory rounds, the ammo is the FIRST thing to rule out. Discussing any other means of addressing the issues described is very much pre-mature.
It's my opinion as I stated, a weapon should function any factory quality ammo made for that caliber. Am I mot entitled to have that opinion? Didnt say it would just that I thought it should. I will give you the steele case ammo, those can make a good gun look bad.

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
You can have whatever opinion you like, no matter how wrong it is. Just don't post mis-information here as though it were some unrefuted fact. Ammo selectivity is a fact of life, with a LOT of different guns. To deny that is... well, where is your ostrich-head burried pic. :)

Full size/weight pistols are usually less likely to be picky about ammo, but even some of those can be finicky. Over the past 10 years on this very forum, I have seen countless posts about a wide variety of firearms that would not function with certain rounds, but worked perfectly with others. Regarding Kel-tec pistols, ammo-selectivity in these ultra-lights is so well established as to not even be worth discussing. Witness the Seecamp guns that cost 3 to 4 times what a KT sells for. At one time, the factory recommended only one specific round - Win Silvertips. When Winchester changed that round a little, they no longer worked in the Seecamps and they had to find something else. That of course is an extreme example, but it certainly makes the point. The $1200 Rhorbaugh is another very costly, ultra-light that is often very ammo-selective, moreso than the PF9, I'd say. How many old milspec 1911s won't even feed any JHP, but only ball ammo? If you want to insist that every firearm should function with every available ammunition, that is your call, but in the real world, that is far from the truth. The KISS principle solution is to use ammo that functions well in your gun.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
You can have whatever opinion you like, no matter how wrong it is. Just don't post mis-information here as though it were some unrefuted fact. Ammo selectivity is a fact of life, with a LOT of different guns. To deny that is... well, where is your ostrich-head burried pic. :)

Full size/weight pistols are usually less likely to be picky about ammo, but even some of those can be finicky. Over the past 10 years on this very forum, I have seen countless posts about a wide variety of firearms that would not function with certain rounds, but worked perfectly with others. Regarding Kel-tec pistols, ammo-selectivity in these ultra-lights is so well established as to not even be worth discussing. Witness the Seecamp guns that cost 3 to 4 times what a KT sells for. At one time, the factory recommended only one specific round - Win Silvertips. When Winchester changed that round a little, they no longer worked in the Seecamps and they had to find something else. That of course is an extreme example, but it certainly makes the point. The $1200 Rhorbaugh is another very costly, ultra-light that is often very ammo-selective, moreso than the PF9, I'd say. How many old milspec 1911s won't even feed any JHP, but only ball ammo? If you want to insist that every firearm should function with every available ammunition, that is your call, but in the real world, that is far from the truth. The KISS principle solution is to use ammo that functions well in your gun.
Well stated, and absolutely true. I had a government issue 1911 that simply would not run anything but ball ammo. Just the way it was, and true of many government issue 1911s. Unfortunately, no matter how often it is stated on the forum, and that it is simple fact (not should, or could, but just what it is), many seem to want to go on using cheap bulk ammo, reloads, steel case, or what have you and then complain that the pistol doesn't work. Can it be made to work with cheap bulk, etc. Probably, at least in most cases, but first eliminate ammo as an issue, then eliminate shooter errors as a possibility, and lastly, look at pistol issues. If folks would just follow fairly simple principles, they just might avoid a lot of aggravation.

Jim R

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
We've all (hopefully) read about the Kimber Solo's selectivity... (including 124gr minimum?)
I've read that Beretta recommends using JHP in the Nano for Break-In (c'mon!!)

Many makers, as they get into the 3" Subcompact market are finding out about ammo selectivity.

I don't care if each of my guns don't eat anything & everything...
As long as I can find a couple brands that ALL my pistols like, I'm happy.

·
Registered
589 Posts

LOL,ok, forget it, I don't want to argue about it, and don't want to side track the O.P. subject, that wasn't my intent.:)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also reloads are reloads. I don't care who loaded them the fact is they are at least once fired brass. When a round is fired the case expands to pretty much match the inside of the chamber of the gun they were fired in. Tight chamber, not as much, loose chamber more. The brass is then resized, or smashed back into specs. What this does is weaken the metal. It will not take as much force next time to expand again so it will expand faster and harder. It will also not rebound as much as it did the first time. This causes the case to stick harder in the chamber and puts more pressure on the extractor to pull it out. Anyone who has ever shot reloads in a revolver can tell you how much tighter reloads are and how much harder it is to remove them from the cylinder. In a full size gun with lots of mass in the slide this may not make much difference, in these guns it does. Before you think you have a problem try some cheap federal wally world or PMC 115 grain ammo.

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
Exactly! Not to mention, all reloads are not created equally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got some federal tonight and cleaned it up a bit....during tear down and a quick clean/polish/lube I found a bur on the bottom of the feed amp and the pin in the rear of the grip where the slide slides was scuffed....I fixed those 2 things and went to the range.

This time I only had a couple FTE and it jammed it all up good, was hard to drop the clip out but once I did I just racked the slide and it extracted the spent casing. Checked the barrel and continued to shoot. still only about 150ish rounds....maybe less cause some went thru the xd

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Mine was bit of a pain in the beginning, a couple of trips to Kel Tec and some chamber polishing, it eats everything I feed it now, WWB, Federals, my own reloads. I do think there is no reason a gun shouldn't eat whatever it's fed, reality is something else. FTFeed, especially in the beginning using less than hot Wal Mart ammo, the slide not worn in to the frame, the recoil spring still stiff, limpwristing, not hard to accept. FTExtract might be caused by a loose extractor bolt, rough chamber. Both hopefully will work themselves out during the break-in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts