New owner with ammo test results

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Vectrexer, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Vectrexer

Vectrexer New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Here is a repost rom a private email about my two new (new to me) P3ATs.

I like the P3AT very much. Well,,, except for the lllloooonnnngggg trigger pull.   A well known property of the P3AT.  Overall I found the Kel Tec to be much more to my liking over the Seecamp I have.   It is not just the weight difference, the overall fit is better for repeated use.  For my hand the Astra 200 is still best out of all of the mouse guns I have.   However I doubt a 25 ACP would be able to get me through any CCW range qualification every place I would take it.  At least not as a primary CCW pistol. (Whenever I move to someplace that allows a local CCW permit that is.  Stuck in a Kali big city county)

So the Kel Tec is the best balance so far for a light, thin, accurate, manageably shaped, acceptable caliber pistol. I think I like the grip more than the Ruger LCP that I have held. So much so if I get an LCP I would probably have the grip melt textured so it is closer to the Kel Tec than to a factory Ruger. So,,, except the for newness and the Ruger name there is really no reason for me to buy the LCP. But I still want it.

I found both of the P3ATs to be equally picky about the ammo. Although I have to say the one that is broken in felt subjectively better. Here is what I have shot so far. Bear in mind I have purposely avoided reading any ammo compatibility reviews so far. I am a ".380 ACP Virgin" as far as knowledge of the "right ammo" to use goes.

P3AT #1: A used pistol that has had Fluff-and-Buff treatment performed by a skilled gunsmith.

P3AT #2: I am second owner but the pistol is basically brand new.  Maybe a total of 120 rounds and that is after the end of my current testing testing.

I am at a disadvantage being a non-LEO in Kali when buying the P3ATs. But it's great I found another helpful soul that would seld my their pistols. Plus that kind person point me to KTOG as well. Very cool!

The Ammo,,,,,,

Manufacturer: Federal
    Branding: American Eagle (Red Box)
    Caliber: .380 ACP
    Type: Ball, FMJ
    Weight: 95 gr.
    Overall Kel Tec result: Worthless as practice ammo unless you intend to use it as clearing drills during live firing.  I would not use this ammo for any more practice in a Kel Tec.

P3AT #1 (used) result: FTF on every round. Needed manual assistance.

P3AT #2 (new) result:  FTF on every round. Needed manual assistance.

Manufacturer: Federal (Premium)
    Branding: HydraShok Personal Defense
    Type: Personal Defense, JHP, Low recoil
    Weight: 90 gr.
    Overall Kel Tec result: Worthless as self defense or practice ammo. (anyone want 38 rounds of 380 ACP ammo!?!) I would not use this ammo for any more practice in a Kel Tec.

P3AT #1 (used) result: FTF or slow feed on every round. Needed manual assistance. FTC on many rounds.

P3AT #2 (new) result: FTF on every round. Needed manual assistance. FTC on every round.

Manufacturer: Magtech
    Branding:Guardian Gold
    Caliber: .380 ACP +P
    Type: Self Defense, JHP
    Weight: 85 gr.
    Overall Kel Tec result: Worthless as reliable self defense round but much better than the Federal HydraShok! Ok to use as a practice round. Very flashy round. Would temporarily blind you in a night engagement. Accurate round. Felt good when they worked.

P3AT #1 (used) result: FTF and/or FTC once every 5 to 8 rounds. However, the used fluffed and buffed P3AT seemed subjectively slightly better than the new one.

P3AT #2 (new) result: FTF and/or FTC once every 5 to 8 rounds.

Manufacturer: Corbon
    Branding: Corbon
    Caliber: .380 ACP +p
    Type: Self Defense, JHP
    Weight: 90 gr.
    Overall Kel Tec result: Fairly good ammo to use for personal defense. More flash than I was expecting from a Corbon round. Would probably cause temporary blindness but much less so than the Magtech.

P3AT #1 (used) result: Fed reliably. Felt pretty good. Accurate.

P3AT #2 (new) result: Fed reliably for the most part but subjectively felt a little more "sticky" in the newer pistol. One FTE with the empty case stuck in the ejection port. Still, this round felt pretty good. Accurate.

Manufacturer: Winchester
    Branding: Supreme (Super-X)
    Type: Self Defense, JHP, SXT
    Weight: 95 gr.
    Overall Kel Tec result: The best I tested so far. I would trust this ammo to feed and cycle without worry. Of all the ammo tested so far this round has the lowest amount of flash. This round ended up being the round that is now kept loaded in the new Kel Tec.

P3AT #1 (used) result: Fed reliably. Felt great. Accurate.

P3AT #2 (new) result: Fed reliably. It fed as reliably as in the used P3AT. Felt great. Accurate.

I am happy with both of the P3ATs. They are accurate pistols for their size. And with the right ammo I would hate to be on the wrong end off the barrel. I also happen to think they are elegant in their design. Tight or a work of art? No, the Seecamp is better. The Astra 200 is more beautiful.

Too bad I already agreed to sell one P3AT to a buddy.  ;)  I know it is going to a good home.