Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and read some here, but still have basic questions. I bought a new P3AT last week (J9Gxx). It's my first mousegun, but far from my first pistol. I paid $269 plus tax in a shop not known for super-low prices, but I didn't have to drive far and the owner is good to deal with for the occassional transfer. He has a hard time keeping the kel-tec's in stock.

1. How often should the recoil springs be changed? Is KT the best source for replacements?

2. Roughly how many rounds of standard ammo will it handle before being worn out and unreliable? I will keep it well lubed and clean.

3. I fired 25 rounds of my reloaded ammo to start the break-in process. The load was 3 grains of W231 with a 95gr Win FMJ seated near max length. Book max is 3.2 gr of W231. Are there known problems with this load or powder in p3at's? It performed well and 8" plates at 25 yards were no problem. The worst issue was muzzle jump slightly lifting the pistol out of my grip on each shot. I ordered +1 mag extensions for each mag to give a full 2-finger grip. I'll load another 100 rounds and see how much the extension helps. Factory ammo costs way too much for this round. After 200 rounds of FMJ, I plan to switch to hardcast lead RN bullets for practice.

4. How often does the main/hammer spring need replacing? I plan on plenty of dry fire practice (with snap caps). Again, is KT the good source for springs?

So far, I'm happy with the little pistol. It points very well and the accuraccy is surprising. A buddy that fired it still can't believe the plate rack results.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
1911user said:
1. How often should the recoil springs be changed? Is KT the best source for replacements?
KT recommends changing every 1000 rounds. If you shoot hot ammo, of course, it should be sooner. They're cheap. I believe KT is the only source for .380 springs. Some use the Wolff .32 spring which is a little stronger.

2. Roughly how many rounds of standard ammo will it handle before being worn out and unreliable? I will keep it well lubed and clean.
I'm not sure anyone knows. I've heard they're good for around 5000-6000 rnds. It really doesn't matter since they have a lifetime guarantee. When it wears out just get a new one....

3. I fired 25 rounds of my reloaded ammo to start the break-in process. The load was 3 grains of W231 with a 95gr Win FMJ seated near max length. Book max is 3.2 gr of W231. Are there known problems with this load or powder in p3at's? It performed well and 8" plates at 25 yards were no problem. The worst issue was muzzle jump slightly lifting the pistol out of my grip on each shot. I ordered +1 mag extensions for each mag to give a full 2-finger grip. I'll load another 100 rounds and see how much the extension helps. Factory ammo costs way too much for this round. After 200 rounds of FMJ, I plan to switch to hardcast lead RN bullets for practice.
I don't reload for .380. RCModel should be along shortly and give you an opinion.

4. How often does the main/hammer spring need replacing? I plan on plenty of dry fire practice (with snap caps). Again, is KT the good source for springs?
I don't know of a recommended replacement schedule. As far as I know there is none.

Welcome to the KTOG Forum!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Welcome to Ktog.

I think I read on the Kek-tec website about 6,000 rounds being the limit. However nobody I know of has had their lifetime warranty turned down.

Jocko maybe close to approaching the 6,000 round mark. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 2000 bullets purchased (and a dillon 550 progressive press) to reload 380 ammo so pistol lifetime is a concern. I found the recoil not much of an issue with the stock pistol. I'm expecting the +1 mag extensions to make it downright fun to plink with. A pistol that little shouldn't be so accurate or easy to hit with. I was serious about dry-fire wearing out the hammer spring. The sole purpose of it is to protect my worthless hide. That means lots of dry-fire until the pistol is instinctive to shoot. Wearing out snap caps is not a new thing for me, but I haven't used the A-zoom brand before. Thanks for a nice board and helpful people.

G

·
TFG said:
Welcome to Ktog.

I think I read on the Kek-tec website about 6,000 rounds being the limit. However nobody I know of has  had their lifetime warranty turned down.

Jocko maybe close to approaching  the 6,000 round mark.  ;)

5400 to be exact and it looks new in every detail- actually better than new, and smoother than glass. Have replaced one broken hammer spring in 5400 rounds, and two sets of wolffs 13# recoil springs, Weapon is also ported and shoots like a 22. My 24/7 carry. When you get a good one they are a fun gun and I really see no reason for a wear out statement for these guns-if you get a good one. NOT a sign of slide peening either.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
1911user said:
 That means lots of dry-fire until the pistol is instinctive to shoot.  Wearing out snap caps is not a new thing for me, but I haven't used the A-zoom brand before.  Thanks for a nice board and helpful people.  
Definitely use A-Zoom. I wasted a lot of money on those cheapo blue, red and orange snap caps with the brass "primer" and spring. They don't last.

If it's in your budget, you might consider getting a 2nd P-3AT. One for practice and one for carry since you intend to shoot it / dry fire it quite a bit. Shoot the carry one enough to establish reliability of course.

·
Registered
726 Posts
alamo said:
Definitely use A-Zoom.  I wasted a lot of money on those cheapo blue, red and orange snap caps with the brass "primer" and spring.  They don't last.

If it's in your budget,  you might consider getting a 2nd P-3AT.  One for practice and one for carry since you intend to shoot it / dry fire it quite a bit.  Shoot the carry one enough to establish reliability of course.
+1

wyo-man

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
1911user said:
I'm expecting the +1 mag extensions to make it downright fun to plink with.
I’m sure those +1 extensions will work great for you but I find that with hotter ammo a bit of a hook is best for me. Should you need a bit more control or if you have female relatives that want to fire a few rounds, consider picking up one of the hook style extensions. (they are also prettier) :)

I keep one of my +1s on a magazine so range curiosity seekers can compare it to the NAA (gray), Bersa (black) and stock floor plate while shooting. To date, all newbie shooter like the hook style better. YMMV

(click picture to enlarge)

Wilson – who’s going to buy one of those Scherer’s when he gets some cash :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mastercrasher said:
I've looked every where in the net and no luck except for glock. Do they have a web site?
Here's a link to a good place to buy the +1 380 extensions: http://ddsranch.com/store/index.php?cPath=17_59_66

Wilson, my thought on the extension is that it should hold an extra round if it's going to stick out that far. Best of both would be a +1 extension with a finger hook. My wife carries a purse, so it's no problem for her to pack something larger. The little kel-tec is all mine (and she's buying that line, for now)

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Magazine Finger Extension Base Plates for the Kel-Tec P-3AT:
The NAA style extensions must be modified slightly.
Instructions: http://www.geocities.com/PocketGuns/P32ext.html
The Bersa (smooth) and Scherer (textured) style extensions need no modifications.
Another option is the Kel-Tec 1-Round Magazine Extension which extends the magazine and also allows loading an extra round.
==============================================

You can get Bersa and Scherer here:
http://www.yourgunparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=80&osCsid=f990bfb7dd63606aa2475a9c6148d347

NAA direct here:
http://www.naaminis.com/guardacc.html#parts
Two Finger Extension Base Plates for all Guardian magazines: $10.00
#MZ-FPK Two Finger Extension Base Plates
or here:
http://www.freewebs.com/gunsgripsnmore/guardianaccessories.htm

Bersa direct here:
http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/parts_380lt_sat.php
Part #48

Kel-Tec 1-Round Magazine Extension here:
http://www.kel-tec.com/p3ataccessories.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.