Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Gen 2 Sub 2000s in .40 S and W yesterday afternoon and took it the range.

I'd read about front sight issues previously, but there was no play so I assumed that I was good to go.

Anyway, I proceeded to shoot at my target 25 yards away. 3 out of 4 were off paper.

I spent the next hour chasing the sights around without ever getting a decent group or even hitting paper.

Thinking it might be ammo related, I bought a different type of ammo this AM and went shooting again.

I was finally able to land a group on paper.

I dialed the sights slightly, but this time missed the paper altogether. I still got a nice group, though.

So, I adjusted the sights the other way and, once again was off paper. Still had a decent group.

Note: I had only clicked the windage 4 turns. I shouldn't be off a foot at 25 yards.

I was starting to get frustrated and thinking about how nasty my email would be to Kel Tec's customer service.

Still having ammo, I split the difference the other way and tried to really bear down on the sights this time - nice tight group and POA matched POI.

It was only then that I'd realized that I had not achieved the appropriate cheek weld for this carbine.

I noticed that the rear aperture seems larger than an AR and that an AR style cheek weld won't work. As I found out, my rounds were landing all over the place. Instead, I had to get lower on the buffer tube and not just settle for the first position that I acquired the front blade.

I don't claim to be a master shooter with this rifle or any other, but I have to ask myself how many others who were new to the platform come to these boards claiming that the gun is defective when it's really all on the owner. I realize that there are QC problems with this company but, at the same time, if we are honest enough with ourselves, we might find ourselves the culprit.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is your screw where it is spring loaded on the front sight loose? Mine backs out all the time. IMO a .40 will really back the screw out quicker than a 9.

You know what? It is.

I tightened it back down.

I thought the problem was cheek weld. Perhaps it still is.

I'm probably going to have to rezero now, huh? It appears as though tightening all the way shifted the front sight post a bit.

Is it possible to use loctite (blue) on that screw?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I picked up a Gen 2 Sub 2000s ...I don't claim to be a master shooter with this rifle or any other, ...we might find ourselves the culprit. Thoughts?
Welcome to the KTOG, thenewb :D

Right out of the box, mine was grouping about 2" @ 15 yards and I was low but on the paper @ 50 yards. IMHO, it's not the arrow, but the Comanchero in most instances. The S2K is a great small carbine that you need to spend some range time to get used to ~ it will be time-well-spent. :cool:

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
145 Posts
You know what? It is.

I tightened it back down.

I thought the problem was cheek weld. Perhaps it still is.

I'm probably going to have to rezero now, huh? It appears as though tightening all the way shifted the front sight post a bit.

Is it possible to use loctite (blue) on that screw?
A little blue LocTite shouldn't be an issue and will help reduce frustration.

Enjoy the new toy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Exactly how tight should this screw be? I noticed that if I tighten it all the way, the windage shifts to the left post I can no longer adjust the windage.

If I loosen it, the sight post then snaps to a new position.

I'm getting the impression that it shouldn't be snugged all the way.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Exactly how tight should this screw be? I noticed that if I tighten it all the way, the windage shifts to the left post I can no longer adjust the windage.

If I loosen it, the sight post then snaps to a new position.

I'm getting the impression that it shouldn't be snugged all the way.
Might want to torque it where the sight still moves freely. I guess it is spring loaded and designed to wiggle between shots(?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.