New Owner - Now I Actually Carry!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mhiland, Dec 9, 2008.

1. mhiland

mhiland New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    I recently acquired a P3AT and absolutely love it!  I've had my CCDW license for over ten years and have never really carried, simply because I didn't like lugging around my .38 snubby.  Now I carry my P3AT every chance I get (not all the time, mind you, but quite a bit).  I don't know why I waited so long to get one!

I took it to the range a couple of weeks ago for its inaugural test firing.  It was a nasty day at an outdoor range (Know Creek in West Point, KY), so I was just throwing lead down range.  I fired 50+ rounds with it new out of the box and didn't have a single hiccup--no F&B required!  I'm a big guy with small hands, so it's very comfortable for me to fire, and I don't have any problems with the recoil.  I can't wait to do some real target practice!

I've been trolling this board for a while (even before I got my P3AT), so I bought a few accessories right out of the gate:

1) A leather wallet holster from pocketholsters.com and Desanti Nemesis for front pocket carry.  I'm not sure which one I like best yet.

2) A set of sights from nightsiters.com (haven't installed them yet)

3) A Hogue Handall grip (haven't received it yet)

4) A set of A-Zoom snap caps.  I don't know how many times I "inadvertently" dry-fired it on it's maiden voyage at the range, but I've seen the error of my ways and won't be making that mistake any more.

BTW, this is a *brand new* model with the new hammer block.  At the range, I was firing Magtech 95gr FMJ.  I'm carrying 90gr Hydra Shock Personal Defense.

2. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Welcome Mark. Sounds good but be sure to run a few more boxes of ammo through it for break in and also fire enough of your carry ammo to test feeding and cycling issues.

3. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Congrats and welcome to KTOG!

4. mhiland

mhiland New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome.  I definitely plan on many more trips to the range (it will get god and broken in very soon).   ;)

I usually fire one or two magazines of my carry ammo every time I go.

I know others say that this is definitely not a "target practice" gun, but I actually enjoy shooting it!

5. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG Mark. :)

6. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Welcome Mark. And just think, 4 months ago at that same range it was hot, humid & miserable. Did I mention humid?

7. mhiland

mhiland New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Aaaahhhhh! Gotta love summer in the Ohio Valley! :cool:

8. LittleKatie

LittleKatie New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Congrats!! and welcome.....Yes sir I know what ya mean...I have had my CCW permit and have a chiefs special .38 that I was carrying. Since I got "Katie", she has now become my #1 CCW. I have a nemisis front pocket holster that I like. Like you, I have had no problems with mine as far as FTF or FTF or FTAnything. I have done my fluff and buff with about 300 rounds of ammo. She shoots just fine, and also pretty damn accurate for such a little gun!!
    As far as humid goes,,,,come on down to Mississippi!!

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard Mark!

I know what you mean... I really should carry my Glock 26 more than my P3AT but I don't. The P3AT (I've got two) is just so much easier to carry and to conceal.

Take care...

10. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Welcome Mark, I carry mine all the time. If I can carry a full size gun (sig p226) I still have the littel kt in my back pocket. Why not? Why not all the time, every time? I only carry when I would not want to be shot. When I take a shower it is on the self outside the stall. You said you carry in the front pocket, I carry in my back pocket, easier to get to when sitting (driving). To each his own, better to have it than to wish you did.
    Take care, be safe.
    Lop