New owner - my mini review of the P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by poppo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. poppo

poppo Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    As mentioned in another thread, I'm a new member here who purchased the P-3AT in part from the good info I got here. Mine apparently is one of the newer ones (JSZxx range) that has the newer trigger and has the 'carved' ramp. So other than giving it a good cleaning and a bit of buffing on the ramp, I have not made any other changes.

I had initially fired just a few rounds as soon as I got it just to get a general idea of the feel. But now I was ready to go and see how it handled a whole box. For comparisons, I took my AMT 380 backup (which is too heavy IMO and one of the main reasons I wanted to get the Kel-Tec).  I live on 50 acres out in the middle of nowhere (Texas), so I don't have to go to a range.  :)

So I ran 50 rounds through each. Mostly in rapid fire. Neither had any failures (using American Eagle 95gr ammo). Both had equally good groupings, but there is no doubt that the P-3AT has a lot more recoil. Of course I realize that it's light weight and the slimmer size plays a big part. But I was pretty surprised at the difference. The Kel-Tec is not something I would fire for hours at a time. But the bottom line is it does what it needs to, does it well, and will make a nice replacement for the AMT.

BTW, I also own a Beretta 92FS and a CZ85 both which I love to shoot.

2. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    welcome....this is not a target gun but rather a great self defense gun...keep it clean and lubed and you'll be a happy ktog'er.....

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard! Thanks for the range report.

I've never shot more than 57 rounds in a given P3AT practice session. Up to 57 rounds at least no discomfort what so ever. However, except for when I first got my #1 P3AT I've been shooting with grip pads, grip sleeve and mag finger extension on the guns. Now my Ruger Super Blackhawk with hot loads you're starting to feel some recoil :)

Take care...

4. Thanks for the good report poppo- and welcome to kotog!

5. Potlicquor

Potlicquor New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Welcome, you will enjoy the new K-T P3AT more and more as you 'bond' with it!  :cool: