Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I meant to add that there is a very good reason to put a muzzle brake on either of Kel-Tec's shotguns: safety. With a muzzle brake installed it is quite a bit less likely that the shooter might get his hand out in front of the muzzle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
In shotguns, muzzle brakes are not nearly as effective as on rifles, due to the much lower pressures of shotguns.
Muzzle brakes work by a jet effect of high pressure gas venting, much like a rocket.
In shotguns the lower pressures just can't develop the jet effect enough to give a lot of reduction of recoil.

General consensus is that muzzle brakes on shotguns don't deliver anything like the advertised recoil reductions.
It appears the most effect with a muzzle brake on a Kel-Tec is mostly a cosmetic addition for appearance.

Do some reading on the KS7 and KSG areas for some past discussion on muzzle brakes and how to reduce felt recoil.
Bottom line is, you get far more actual felt recoil reduction by installing an enhanced recoil pad, and more then anything, by using reduced recoil shells.

Reduced Recoil shotgun shells are in use by law enforcement due to small or women cops having problems with the pounding abuse of standard buckshot.
The Reduced Recoil buckshot and slug loads are just as effective at normal shotgun defense ranges.
Gotcha. I won't bother spending the money on a muzzle break then. I ordered Keltec's extended buttpad and a Missouri Tactical recoil pad. I'll be trying them both individually and with the slip on pad added and see how that goes in a couple weeks. I did try some reduced recoil shells and they were pretty nice too.

I meant to add that there is a very good reason to put a muzzle brake on either of Kel-Tec's shotguns: safety. With a muzzle brake installed it is quite a bit less likely that the shooter might get his hand out in front of the muzzle.
I'm getting Hitech's lower rail mod and a vert grip so that shouldn't be as much of an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To each his own, but I think that thing is a monstrosity.
You're right, it is lol. Not gonna disagree. But I think having a vert grip would give it more control. If it's not that great I'll take it off.

It's basically what I did with my AR. I love to modify and customize my stuff and went through a bunch of different attachments before figuring out my setup. Costs some money but you never know unless you try things out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So here's what I've done so far. Nothin too fancy. I'll take it out for testing soon.

HiTech KS7 Lower Rail Mod Attachment
Barska Tactical Vertical Hand Grip which came with the picatinny rail that I mounted to the top
SeeAll Micro Open Sight
Hogue Glock Grip
Missouri Tactical KSG/KS7 Recoil Pad
Also have the KelTec KS7 extended recoil pad that I'll be trying out

Had to do some drilling and buy a whole M2-M5 screw kit to figure out which screws would work to mount the rail but it worked out. I really like the SeeAll sight but I'm wondering if this will be too high up or not.

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory
Product Air gun Black Trigger Gun barrel
Font Audio equipment Bumper Automotive tire Auto part
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Bumper

·
Registered
413 Posts
Whether the See-All fits you is something you have to decide. It fits you or not.
In my case, no amount of contortions will allow me to get my head down far enough for the front sight to properly align with the rear "sight" of the KS7 so the See-All would probably be perfect.

If it's a little too high you might look into some type of lower rail or mounting plate.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just mounted a seeall night sight to my braced tac-14. I don't understand the hate. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. I'll zero it next week. I have a sig shield on my KS-7 but wouldn't hesitate to use one in my KS-7.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Whether the See-All fits you is something you have to decide. It fits you or not.
In my case, no amount of contortions will allow me to get my head down far enough for the front sight to properly align with the rear "sight" of the KS7 so the See-All would probably be perfect.

If it's a little too high you might look into some type of lower rail or mounting plate.
I had the same problem. My buddy said he liked the sight that it came with but I have a pretty big noggin and it was not working for me. Plus with how this thing kicks I don't want to get my face that close to it. So I like the height for my eye level but I just was concerned if it's too high to be effective or something. I'm still kinda new at shooting in general and this is only my second gun and I've never seen one where the sight is so high above the barrel. But it's a shotty so maybe it doesn't really matter.

I just mounted a seeall night sight to my braced tac-14. I don't understand the hate. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. I'll zero it next week. I have a sig shield on my KS-7 but wouldn't hesitate to use one in my KS-7.
I haven't shot with it yet but I think it's great. I'm shopping around for a 9mm pistol right now and I'm strongly considering getting their pistol size SeeAll for whatever I get.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts