New owner, first time range report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mslatter, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mslatter

mslatter New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Shot 50 rounds of Blazer, followed by 7 rounds of Federal JHP. The gun ran flawlessly, with no fluff-n-buff, just a rub down and lube job (grease and oil.) I shot a little high, and will have to practice a little to get those shots lower. Recoil was tolerable, though the checkering was a little rough on the palm. I still have to sort out where all these dang fingers are going to go. My normal combat grip feels pretty good, but my left thumb rides high, and crosses onto the slide. If I move it lower, I start to crowd my other fingers. And something, maybe the checkering, or maybe a ridge or edge where the mag joins the grip, if beating up my palm.

I liked the Federal JHP, which touted "lower recoil" on the box. It was pretty soft, and allowed for better follow-up shots. I dumped 6+1 into a 8 inch circle at 15 feet as fast as I could shoot. I was surprised how well and how fast I could get those off. It was a satisfying way to finish the round.

I feel comfortable with the gun, and will trust it for daily carry. Now if ammo were more available, and cheaper.

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    With all due respect, it's your life but I won't carry a gun that hasn't had at least 200 rounds of hard ball and a box or two of the carry ammo I've selected. As far as I know, KT recommends that to ensure your gun is broken in. I prefer 400 flawless rounds down range. I've got over 2000 rounds through my P3AT and shoot it regularly. My life is worth more than the cost of a few boxes of ammo.

Seriously, I know 380 ammo is expensive. That's why handload. I literally paid for my reloading setup jut loading 380 ammo. I load 250 380 rounds for @ $37.00. That's @ the cost of two 50 round boxes of factory FMJ ammo. It doesn't take long to pay for reloading equipment at those rates.

3. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    You may want to consider tranction grips to improve the feel. tractiongrips.com ( I think) he is one of our own and offers a discount to forum members. I got them for mine and love the feel. Also check out a grip extension from the KT website. It helps too. It give the pinkie some place to rest.

Enjoy
    Dave

4. Deuce3

Deuce3 New Member

May 6, 2008
    +1 Shoot it some more. It will probably continue to be just fine, but you want several hundred rounds through any semiauto before you trust it for EDC.
    Deuce

5. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Welcome to the forum. A great bunch of helpful people here.

Yep, run some more rounds through it. Heck, if anything...it's fun! :)

Some people have ran 150 rounds through their gun only to have it jam up. Best to be sure with a couple hundred rounds.

I just ran another 50 rounds of ball ammo (Blazer Brass) through mine. Flawless as usual. These little guns just seem to know what to do.

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    That's great! Continued good luck with your P3AT.

8. mslatter

mslatter New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    No worries! I'll put plenty through it in the coming weeks, and get plenty of off-range practice manipulating the gun. That's just all I had time for yesterday. I was pleased that it ran without trouble.

9. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    That's great news. Enjoy.

10. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Over 2000 rounds- mine has somewhere around 600 through it.  Do I need to replace anything in the near future? Maybe recoil springs?  Have you done anything to yours? I've got a revolver that I've put over 5000 rounds through and an old blowback that I've put over 2000 through but that's a different story.  My p3at has become my every day carry.

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    KT uses high quality silicon springs and they generally last a long time. They'd probably tell you to change recoil springs at 2000 rounds but I have seen folks with guns that have 2 to 3 times that many rounds on the original springs. However, they only cost 50 cents from parts and service will usually send them for free, so I change them at 1000 rounds to be safe and save battering on the gun. Mag springs take much less of a pounding and should last darn near forever, assuming you have more than one mag. Occasionally, springs can fail prematurely. I suspect they were somehow defective from the start, possibly not properly tempered, etc.