Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New idea?  Well, not really.

Back in ancient times (mid to late '70's) when I carried a badge I used a hardened Colt Gold Cup as my carry weapon for awhile. Conveniently, the GC has serrations running the length of the top of the slide.  I used these serrations as a guide and painted a thin white line (the width of the front sight) front to back along the top of the slide.  When using the weapon in low light I used it as a sighting guide.  

Originally, I thought I would be able to look at the target and pick up the line in my peripheral vision.  However, I find it works best by actually looking at the gun and pointing the white line at the target which is slightly out of focus (just like when you focus on the front sight but in this instance your focus on the line does not have to be as acute).  While it's not as precise as using a front sight, the conditions when one would use this technique is not a situation lending itself to precise shooting, anyway (low light, etc).

Along comes my little darling, the P3AT. I find that due to their small size even in daylight I essentially have no sights.  I decided to give my old idea a try.

Since this little gun is not a target pistol and is used with targets that are large and generally close this little system works pretty well anytime.

Here's a picture to give you an idea as to what it looks like in use.  I know the laser negates the use of the white line but not all of us have lasers and being battery operated it may fail.

To do this I merely taped off what I didn't want to paint making sure the entire gun was protected.  This was after I had degreased the top of the slide with Break Free Gun Blast Gun Cleaner (there are a bunch of other products to do the same thing).  I used Krylon flat white as the paint (one might even consider using luminescent paint).

This is point shooting with a reference.  

A simple idea and easy to do!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seabear1500 said:
Looks nice, but my thoughts are that if you can see the white line you are shooting high. Just like seeing the top of the rib on a shotgun. But maybe that's just me. :-?
I agree. The further away the target the more precise one must be and the less reliable this system would be. But high might be relative in this case.  If you're aiming at the tip of the sternum and hit 1", 2", 3", 4" or even 5" high it's not going to matter much since we're not going for precision but rather hits center mass up close.

For me it helps keep the shots from going too much lateral causing a miss into something else I do not intend to hit.  Laterally there is less room for error (depending on the targets orientation, of course).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mean_Bone said:
[quote author=seabear1500 link=1227642699/0#1 date=1227643496]Looks nice, but my thoughts are that if you can see the white line you are shooting high. Just like seeing the top of the rib on a shotgun. But maybe that's just me. :-?
I agree. The further away the target the more precise one must be and the less reliable this system would be. But high might be relative in this case.  If you're aiming at the tip of the sternum and hit 1", 2", 3", 4" or even 5" high it's not going to matter much since we're not going for precision but rather hits center mass up close.

For me it helps keep the shots from going too much lateral causing a miss into something else I do not intend to hit.  Laterally there is less room for error (depending on the targets orientation, of course).
[/quote]

I'll buy that analogy. *G* I suppose if one prcticed enough to know how "low" to percievably aim it would be a great addition. Of course like any other accesory including the gun, if there is not enough practice then why bother.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It looks like a great idea for acquiring a target fast. I think that I my try it with some white electrical tape or whiteout to see how well I like it before putting the paint to my P3AT.

I have painted my sights green (back) and orange (front) and the orange over the green field is much faster to acquire the target and just the outline of the stock sights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.