Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new P-3AT today.....field stripped it.....polished the ramp and slide rails using a felt circular dremel wheel with polishing compound and lubed it up with CLP. I also had to use a razor blade to knock off some of the plastic flashing on some of the edges. Taking it to the range tomorrow with a box of WWB Range Ammo. I'll give a report afterwards...

Couple of questions;

I bought the "hip-clip" to put on the pistol......but fitting it before installing, it just seemed like it was going to rub the web of my hand....I didn't install it.....any experiences?

What defensive round works best and is the most effective?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hello,

I only use a pocket holster with this gun to cover the trigger. I use the Golden Sabres too!!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Hi Larz, welcome. I'm looking forward to your range report and pictures. So I ask ya, when you carry that gun without the trigger covered, do you have a round in the pipe? My p3 is always with me, always with a round in the pipe, and always with the trigger covered, but that's just me. Let us know what kind of fun you have with it. It sounds like this is not your first gun, so you could post pics of the others while you are at it. Hint, hint.
have fun, be safe, Lop

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
lop said:
So I ask ya, when you carry that gun without the trigger covered, do you have a round in the pipe?
Yes, I do carry both my P3AT with a round chambered, right front pocket, belt clip only.

And I carry my PF9 IWB 4-5 o'clock, belt clip only, round in the chamber.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have had a belt clip on my 3AT for several months and I use it. I also have a leather pocket holster and an OWB holster so I have options for different carry requirements. I like the wallet holster in my right back pocket in shorts but my jeans pockets are not deep enough so I often use the belt clip only, no trigger guard, and I feel very safe with this. I believe the denim is strong enough to guard the trigger for me. This has been discussed way many times and there are as many opinions as there are members, or perhaps more, so it is a personal decision.

Billy

·
Registered
75 Posts
welcome i use pocket and owb holsters also one iwb holster. pocket uncle mikes and nemisis. owb don hume jit slide. iwb highnoon mr. softy. usually carry two.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the kel-tec clip. It doesn't bother me when I am shooting. I never have a round chambered if I am carry with the clip. If I have it in my desantsis pocket holster I do have one chambered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcomes guys.... Alright........went to the range today....first off, I've shot my brothers LCP.....didn't like it.....this little guy can shoot!!!!! So happy I didn't go the LCP way. I really can shoot this thing much better than the S&W 642 I had. Very accurate..had to work with what grip seemed the best.....the ring finger on the bottom of the mag seemed to be better for me. Anyway, I polished the feed-ramp and slide rails with my Dremel Felt wheel with polishing compound prior to my range time. Well I got to about he 80th round and the first FTE occurred.....last round in the mag....then maybe the 94 round another FTE, also the last round. Not sure what to make of that.....any thoughts? I came back and cleaned it and re-polished the feed-ramp again. I also smoothed down the trigger, the bottom of the mags, and other plastic profiles that bothered me while shooting. Overall I pleased with it....will just have to get the FTE's behind me....any advise would be welcomed......

Here's the addition to mainly the XD family......didn't feel like getting the long guns out  :)

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Larz said:
.. I got to about he 80th round and the first FTE occurred.....last round in the mag....then maybe the 94 round another FTE, also the last round. Not sure what to make of that.....any thoughts?...
Dirty and DRY maybe :-/

I never go over 20 rounds with out cleaning and lubeing with grease(wax)

be sure to include disassembling the mag and cleaning the follower

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JFB said:
[quote author=Larz link=1234659869/0#11 date=1234735566].. I got to about he 80th round and the first FTE occurred.....last round in the mag....then maybe the 94 round another FTE, also the last round. Not sure what to make of that.....any thoughts?...
Dirty and DRY maybe  :-/

I never go over 20 rounds with out cleaning and lubeing with grease(wax)

be sure to include disassembling the mag and cleaning the follower
[/quote]

The mag and follower? Really?

What wax/grease...I've tried to link to the gonoli link (SP) and it dead....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome!!!!!!!!! Be sure you check your regulations before relying on a pocket clip, Ohio used to require a holster for carry anytime, but have since reduced it to a holster in the car. Hornady's one shot or similar dri-lube on the mag follower should help, I've been through over 700 rds, with no ftf's, and I always give the mag and follower a shot of dri-lube when I clean my auto's. I've tried about everything in mine, for practice, but used Golden Sabres and CB 90's for carry until I shot 50 rds of Hornady Critical Defense, now they are my preferred carry rd. especially in the winter. Got a drawer full of holsters but use a galco pocket holster that came with the CT laser most of the time, sometimes a Uncle Mike IWB clipped inside my cowboy boots, for deep carry, have a kangaroo high belly band ordered (backordered) even special holsters are in big demand right now. Great little pieces.  Jim  <><

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Larz said:
.The mag and follower? Really?

What wax/grease...I've tried to link to the gonoli link (SP) and it dead....
Oh Yes... the assembly pin can be used to press in the magazine base pin and assist with pushing base off.

I been using a duPont teflon/parfin lube, but can't seem to find it in liquid anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.