Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Larz, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Larz

Larz New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Picked up my new P-3AT today.....field stripped it.....polished the ramp and slide rails using a felt circular dremel wheel with polishing compound and lubed it up with CLP. I also had to use a razor blade to knock off some of the plastic flashing on some of the edges. Taking it to the range tomorrow with a box of WWB Range Ammo. I'll give a report afterwards...

Couple of questions;

I bought the "hip-clip" to put on the pistol......but fitting it before installing, it just seemed like it was going to rub the web of my hand....I didn't install it.....any experiences?

What defensive round works best and is the most effective?

2. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Welcome. I have no experience with the clip. I always carry in a pocket holster. Remington Golden Sabres and Speer Gold Dot have both been perfect in my gun.

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I use the clip for front pocket carry, I've never had a problem with it rubbing my hand when shooting tho.

4. sr9shooter

sr9shooter New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Congrads on your new p3at. I had the belt clip on mine 1 day. Found out it was not for me. Where do you find wwb 380's. Hadn't been any im my neck of the woods in many months.

5. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Hello,

I only use a pocket holster with this gun to cover the trigger. I use the Golden Sabres too!!

6. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG :)

I use a pocket holster and like it. Never tried the clip.

CK

7. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Hi Larz, welcome. I'm looking forward to your range report and pictures. So I ask ya, when you carry that gun without the trigger covered, do you have a round in the pipe? My p3 is always with me, always with a round in the pipe, and always with the trigger covered, but that's just me. Let us know what kind of fun you have with it. It sounds like this is not your first gun, so you could post pics of the others while you are at it. Hint, hint.
    have fun, be safe, Lop

8. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Yes, I do carry both my P3AT with a round chambered, right front pocket, belt clip only.

And I carry my PF9 IWB 4-5 o'clock, belt clip only, round in the chamber.

9. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    I have had a belt clip on my 3AT for several months and I use it. I also have a leather pocket holster and an OWB holster so I have options for different carry requirements. I like the wallet holster in my right back pocket in shorts but my jeans pockets are not deep enough so I often use the belt clip only, no trigger guard, and I feel very safe with this. I believe the denim is strong enough to guard the trigger for me. This has been discussed way many times and there are as many opinions as there are members, or perhaps more, so it is a personal decision.

Billy

[​IMG]

10. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    welcome i use pocket and owb holsters also one iwb holster. pocket uncle mikes and nemisis. owb don hume jit slide. iwb highnoon mr. softy. usually carry two.

11. Nexttime

Nexttime New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I have the kel-tec clip. It doesn't bother me when I am shooting. I never have a round chambered if I am carry with the clip. If I have it in my desantsis pocket holster I do have one chambered.

12. Larz

Larz New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Thanks for the welcomes guys.... Alright........went to the range today....first off, I've shot my brothers LCP.....didn't like it.....this little guy can shoot!!!!! So happy I didn't go the LCP way. I really can shoot this thing much better than the S&W 642 I had. Very accurate..had to work with what grip seemed the best.....the ring finger on the bottom of the mag seemed to be better for me. Anyway, I polished the feed-ramp and slide rails with my Dremel Felt wheel with polishing compound prior to my range time. Well I got to about he 80th round and the first FTE occurred.....last round in the mag....then maybe the 94 round another FTE, also the last round. Not sure what to make of that.....any thoughts? I came back and cleaned it and re-polished the feed-ramp again. I also smoothed down the trigger, the bottom of the mags, and other plastic profiles that bothered me while shooting. Overall I pleased with it....will just have to get the FTE's behind me....any advise would be welcomed......

Here's the addition to mainly the XD family......didn't feel like getting the long guns out  :)

[​IMG]

13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Dirty and DRY maybe :-/

I never go over 20 rounds with out cleaning and lubeing with grease(wax)

be sure to include disassembling the mag and cleaning the follower

14. Larz

Larz New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Dirty and DRY maybe  :-/

I never go over 20 rounds with out cleaning and lubeing with grease(wax)

be sure to include disassembling the mag and cleaning the follower
    [/quote]

The mag and follower? Really?

What wax/grease...I've tried to link to the gonoli link (SP) and it dead....

15. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Welcome!!!!!!!!! Be sure you check your regulations before relying on a pocket clip, Ohio used to require a holster for carry anytime, but have since reduced it to a holster in the car. Hornady's one shot or similar dri-lube on the mag follower should help, I've been through over 700 rds, with no ftf's, and I always give the mag and follower a shot of dri-lube when I clean my auto's. I've tried about everything in mine, for practice, but used Golden Sabres and CB 90's for carry until I shot 50 rds of Hornady Critical Defense, now they are my preferred carry rd. especially in the winter. Got a drawer full of holsters but use a galco pocket holster that came with the CT laser most of the time, sometimes a Uncle Mike IWB clipped inside my cowboy boots, for deep carry, have a kangaroo high belly band ordered (backordered) even special holsters are in big demand right now. Great little pieces.  Jim  <><

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Oh Yes... the assembly pin can be used to press in the magazine base pin and assist with pushing base off.

I been using a duPont teflon/parfin lube, but can't seem to find it in liquid anymore.