New Member-Thinking about a P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by FBtool, Oct 13, 2008.

1. FBtool

FBtool New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Hi all,
    I have been looking for a while at CCW pistols. I now have decided although I like 9mm but they are too large. I want a pistol I can put in a front jeans pocket if I want and the .380cal looks like the best choice. It seems the Bersa thunder and your little pocket rocket the P-3AT are the 2 best choices vs cost for me. I have never shot a gun this small and I don't know what to expect? I only got into shooting a couple of years ago. I have a S&W 5906 TSW 9mm I bought new and have spent many hours at the range and enjoying shooting it. I now have my CCW and so does my wife. SHe wants the Smith 442 airlite, (she has a S&W 357) but I'm hoping what I buy maybe she will like when she tries it? What I want to know is is the hard chrome model the best one to buy? What is the recoil like with this pistol? The S&W 442 stings pretty good, is the P-3at similar? Any opinions would be appreciated so I make the right choice the first time:)
    Thanks for your help

2. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    both the p3at and the bersa thunder are great guns.  I have one of each...and several more others.

the keltec isn't that bad to shoot.  Just keep in mind that it isn't designed to be a "range" gun.  the biggest complaint I have heard of people that have shot mine is that the grip is so small that they feel like they can't hold onto it that good and it wants to jump out of their hands.  I personally don't have that problem even with my pretty big hands.  the +1 mag extension is a big help in feel.

The bersa is actually a great gun to shoot.  It fits your hand really good and has much less "felt" recoil.  But...If i'm going to carry something the size of the bersa for deep concealment I'll just carry my M&P40 compact.  Its not much bigger of a gun when you sit them side by side.

I don't know if the hard chrome is any better than my blued version.  I don't carry any of my guns because of the asthetically apealing color (or lack of)  If I have to pull it out they are only going to see the muzzle end and then...well...you know.

I don't know if any of that helps you or not...but if it matters any, I will never get rid of my p3at. I love it for what it is and you can't beat the price.

Here is a pic of some of the mentioned guns to show difference in size.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z249/99ncxj/guns040.jpg

3. baa5000

baa5000 New Member

Sep 21, 2008
    I just posted about my first keltec from this weekend. I'm very happy with it and you just can't beat it for concealment and comfort. Besides legal reasons I don't think I will ever have to go anywhere without this gun! Small, light, and there when you need it. I've only had the P3AT for 3 days and it's only my 2nd gun (1st is a glock 23) but I'm very impressed and happy with it.

4. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I have a HC P3at and have shot the Bersa Thunder. Of the two I would recommend the p3at because of its size and weight. This all factors into concealment.

IMO HC is the best finish because it can handle everything I put it through and it looks great. Some people only like thier guns to be black and that's fine it you like that look. For all that a CCW will go through it is important TO ME that it stands up well to rust and other pocket hazards. The recoil is a little snappy but the gun itself is very easy to shoot. Features like a slip on grip and a mag/grip extension go a long way in improving accuracy and the feel of the gun.

Welcome to KTOG!

5. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I have had the P3AT for 7 weeks now, and it's great. I fitted it with an Armalaser, and I pocket carry it with the Desantis Nemesis holster. It has a great footprint resembling a wallet. It's very comfortable, even in tight 501 pockets. Like it so much that I caught the fever, and bought a PF-9 a week ago. As far as recoil, I read several reviews about the recoil being somewhat heavy, so I was pleasently surprised. Was not as bad as I expected, and I am 5'8", not a real big guy. Buy the P3AT....you'll love it!

6. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I just got in a new HC P3AT last Friday with an Armalaser. I fired it for the first time Saturday during the handgun permit safety class at an indoor range.

I did a lot of reading about the finish, and talked to a friend at work who owns a 1st gen P3AT, and the consensus I get is that if you use this gun for an everyday carry gun, you want chrome because otherwise it is likely to rust over time. My friend at work said his blued finished P3AT rusts rather easily and has to stay oiled down to prevent it, and he doesn't even use it as a carry gun. I also read a thread where a guy had talked to Kel-tec engineers who did an experiment by submerging all three finishes in water for a week, and the chrome didn't rust at all. I want a finish that I don't have to fuss with to keep functional.

It took me some searching long and hard to find one, but I finally did get one via Gunbroker. It cost me $316 shipped paying with a CC + local FFL transfer fee. I came out pretty good in that I wouldn't have found it for any less locally, provided I could get the chrome at all. Locally is was going to be a matter of ordering one for a bit more than what I paid and maybe it would come in eventually.

As for the recoil, it does have a snappy recoil. I have to shoot some more and get better practice on holding it stiffer. I found it a little hard to hold on to after a while once my hand got tired. But I must say that for its size it shoots very accurately. I was able to keep all shots within the lower part of the #9 point area of the target at 50ft without using the laser, which is pretty good for a gun this small. And this is only my second hangun. I've fired M16s for 19 years whenever my Army Reserve unit goes to the rifle range, but I'm new to having a handgun.

If you can find a chrome one reasonably, I say get it. You can also get a blued one and have it nickel plated for $30 + shipping by Jack Fuselier as an alternative. That is what I was going to do if I couldn't find a chrome one.

The size of this gun is exactly what i was looking for. Even with the laser, this thing easily dissapears into a pocket. I am probably going to order a small OWB holster for it also to go with the Desantis Nemesis that comes with the Armalaser.

7. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    :D
    I'm a police officer and a newbie with this gun.
    But i can tell you i like it so far.
    I've never carried off duty because of the size/weight of my guns.
    Even the little F.E.G. .380 i used to have wasn't pleasent to carry.
    This little P3at if perfect....it's a gun to throw in your front pocket when you go somewhere.
    Easy to forget your carrying it.
    I didn't add anything to mine...left it factory and small.
    I got the Desantis pocket holster from Cabelas for $20.00 and thats it.
    Small....concealable....easy to carry.
    If you want a big gun, get a 9 or 40. If you want a gun thats not a pain in the butt to take with you everywhere...get the P3at.

8. WADave

WADave New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Have had a carry permit for 30 years and have a safe full of handguns, but almost never carried any of them. Since getting a p 32 two years ago (now carried by my wife) and a p3at this year, if I'm wearing clothes, I'm armed. The little guys work in my bib overalls in the bib pocket and in the summer in the front pocket of my shorts, as long as I wear suspenders to avoid embarrassment. ;)

9. FBtool

FBtool New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Thank you all for your thoughts and experiences with the P-3at. Very helpful info and I thank you all for sharing it with me. Today I stopped at a small gun shop near me and they had 2 P-3at's. One was $309. black and the other was the tan finish. One had the laser on it and it seemed like that might be helpful with accuracy. I saw that Voigts said he got the laser with his. I may be crazy, but It seemed like the trigger did less pinching of my trigger finger with the laser version. You have given me the confidence to buy one of these and I think I may just do that very soon! I would like to give my local guy the business but I think I want the hard crome model. Oh by the way he had one of those Baretta Tom Cats-nice! if it came in more than a 32 cal, but .380 is as small as I want to go. Funny I have cheap 32 auto (Paramount-is the name) that my late grandfather got from some local gansters in New Jersey back in the 1930's for doing some "extra" work on their car (he was a master mechanic) That 32cal is almost the exact size and shape as the KelTec p-3at :)

Thank you again. I will be re reading your comments and making some notes! Please feel to add more if you think of anything else.
    Fb

10. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    I also have a S&W AirLight - I think you'll find the P3AT has less recoil so long as you are using a low recoil load. A great choice for this is the Hydrashok - another is the Gold Saber. Try them both, see what you think, and post back.

Oh, and WELCOME TO KTOG  :)

With an ArmaLaser in a moded Unkle Mike's...
    [​IMG]

11. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    What sized Uncle Mike's is that?

Just to clarify, the $316 was of course for the HC gun. That did not include the Armalaser. It was another $119+$6 for shipping. Any P3AT for $309 with laser included would be a great price, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat if that is what you meant.