New member - recoil spring tube question

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by eastenn, Oct 27, 2009.

1. eastenn

eastenn New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    hey everyone, this is my first post and sorry it has to be a question.

i was following the instructions in the owner's manual for diassembly and got to the point of pulling r.s.t. toward muzzle, rotate 1/4, then let slide into receiver. well, mine doesn't slide into the receiver, it looks as though the pointy ears on that plastic piece won't let it slide through the arch. what am i doing wrong here?

2. eastenn

eastenn New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    here's what i'm talkin about
    [​IMG]

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    You probably aren't doing anything wrong. This was common in the early SU-22 rifles. The receivers are the same as the SU-16, but there are some clearance problems with the SU-22. I thought this was fixed in later SU-22 rifles. I was able to force mine to fit but I used a needle file to notch out some corners for the tab to clear.

[​IMG]

I seem to remember there could be a misalignment with the recoil spring tube when reassembling, so if it was easy to disassemble but you're having this problem with reassembly, you might want to recheck your alignment and reassembly procedure before you grab a file and hack into the receiver. I wish I could remember more, but my brain is old. If you search back through the early SU-22 threads, you should be able to find something. You might want to try to find all of ktwm's posts in the SU-22 forum. That'll narrow it down some, and his stuff is all good reading. He's the Kel-Tec engineer who has a lot of familiarity with the SU-22.

4. eastenn

eastenn New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    thanks liberty, notched it with a utility knife and it works smooth now