Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in January, I decided to get a small .380 to carry during the summer when wearing shorts, when the Glock was tougher to conceal. I ran across this site and all my questions were answered. Many thanks to KTOG.

I bought my hard chrome/OD green P3AT in Feb at a local gun show. I traded in another gun, so I can't post the exact price, but the sticker on the gun was $330 (which I thought was high). I picked up 100 rds of range ammo and a box of carry stuff.

A hundred years ago I worked at a gun store and learned how to do simple polish jobs to the feed ramp, etc., so I took my P3AT home and polished it up, then cleaned and oiled it.

At the range, I shot 125 rnds with 0 failures of any kind. I was very pleased with the accuracy of the gun (mine shoots a bit low past about 10yds. I ran to the store and got another 100rds of the cheap 380 and shot it with 0 failures of any kind. During the 2nd string of 100 rds, I tried to make it fail. I shot rapid fire, I tried to "limp-wrist" it, changed grip, etc...but the little 380 kept plugging away.

I have full confidence in my P3AT. I would not carry it otherwise. My Dad came into town in May....he now is a P3AT owner and has the same polish job mine does.

Since I got the P3AT, and found this forum, I've also purchased a PLR16 and just yesterday a SUB2000. So, I'm kind of hooked... I'll post pics and info in the respective sites later.

Thanks again for a great site...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm sure you'll enjoy your P3AT..Welcome to the board. There are quite a few knowledgeable people here with plenty of info to help if any is ever needed...

John

G

·
Welcome to KTOG blue- and thanks for the good report and post.. very nice looking 3AT.

I hope that good looking 3AT has a nice holster?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Glad to welcome another satisfied customer. It's nice to have folks post positive experiences. The natural tendency for these types of forums are to only post when there's a problem. Thanks for booting the statistics in the "good" direction. ;)

Welcome!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dreadnought said:
Glad to welcome another satisfied customer. It's nice to have folks post positive experiences. The natural tendency for these types of forums are to only post when there's a problem. Thanks for booting the statistics in the "good" direction. ;)

Welcome!
Thanks...I've been impressed with the 380. I also impressed a few people at the range, who looked at it before I shot it and kind of joked about its size, etc...after they saw how well it shot, they gave it a second look... ;)

G

·
The safety of the 3AT is the long heavy trigger. No holster = exposed trigger = accident waiting to happen. YMMV.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Blue - this is something I recently wrote for the Pf9 section and it looks like it fits here too:

adamsesq said:
Let me start by saying this is a

issue for me.  I have strong opinions that are not felt by others.  But they are very strong to me.   Make your own opinions.

Carrying any weapon with a round loaded in the chamber requires a great amount of detail to security of the weapon.  NOTHING should ever be around the trigger guard (including your finger) unless you want the weapon to fire.  When it is not in the safe it should be on you in a quality holster.  A quality holster is one that does not allow the trigger to be pulled no matter what unless the weapon is removed from the holster.

Carrying with the clip alone, whether in a pocket, waistband, boot etc. can allow other things to get in the trigger.  If it is in your pocket it could be ANYTHING you inadvertantly drop in the pocket or even your hand when you put it in the same pocket to grab the gun.  You cannot guarantee that you will not accidently forget and drop something in there.

In your waistband it could be your hands pulling up your pants (or dropping them or adjusting or ....)  It can also be tucking your shirt in or pulling it out.  You can be careful but you can't guarantee something won't get around that trigger.

In either your waist band or in your pocket just bumping into the corner of a desk, or a stick while you are out walking through the woods, or a pool cue, or ?????  CAN pull the trigger through the cloth.  It is easy with dockers and more difficult but doable in jeans.  

Even in your boot just grabbing for the weapon can put your fingers in the wrong place before you get a strong grip on the weapon.  

Now, the clip can be a good carry method for any of the those places AND made safe by putting it in a pocket holster before clipping it into place.  It is still easy to draw and the pocket holster will remain put.  Not easy for reholstering obviously but for self defense you won't be reholstering your weapon anyway.  And it is just as easy to "re-clip" with a pocket holster as it is without.  Safe pocket holsters can be had for as low as $10.00 from www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com and/or the Desantis Nemesis is a common choice.  There are a lot of other similar holsters out there as well.

That said, a good quality IWB or pocket holster in leather or kydex is a real piece of art and makes carrying your weapon very enjoyable.  www.kdholsters.com makes some great pieces of art and sponsors this board.  They are expensive and a long wait, but well worth it.  

And before anyone says it, I am not anti-clip.  I have had multiple weapons with clips on them and used them in all of the locations described above plus on vehicle visors and side pockets of doors etc. but in accordance with the above precautions.

Again, do what you want but IMNSHO there is no reason not to be safe given the very reasonable alternatives.  I mean it so much that I am very PRO carry 24/7 but would not want you around me or my family in my home or business without your weapon in a holster.  

-Scott

·
Registered
898 Posts
Wecome aboard!

Great gun and great range report. I also have a Glock but don't carry it nearly as much as I do the P3AT.

Don't know where I come down on P3AT IWB with the clip. My P3AT is almost always in my front pocket but I have moved it to IWB when going to sit down in a restuarant (Desantis Nemesis holster is sticky enough to allow this & the few time I've done this I've had a sweater or untucked shirt to conceal the gun and holster). Hmm, as I think of it I wouldn't dare carry my Glock - IWB, pocket or however - without a holster.

Take care...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are exactly correct. No argument from me on the safety issue...

I do actually have one of the hard leather, back pocket concealment jobs, but I don't really like it, so I don't use it. I need to look into another inside the pants/inside the pocket holsters.

Thanks again for reminding me... :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
blueyednd said:
You guys are exactly correct.  No argument from me on the safety issue...

I do actually have one of the hard leather, back pocket concealment jobs, but I don't really like it, so I don't use it.  I need to look into another inside the pants/inside the pocket holsters.

Thanks again for reminding me... :)
You'll have a hard time finding a nicer IWB holster than the one I carry every day.  It is the Galco USA (Ultimate Second Amendment) model # 404.  It perfectly fits the gun and even prevents the magazine release from being pressed.  I cannot say enough to get across my point of just how nice this holster is.  :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.