new member, new p3at, first post and range report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kbizzle, Oct 23, 2008.

1. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    hey guys & gals,

i've been lurking and learning on this forum for the past 2 weeks since i bought my first p3at and discovered this site.  i bought it brand new and it's a 2nd gen model.  i have found SO MUCH useful information here re: holsters, cleaning & maintenance, ammo and accessories.  thank you so much for your help.  

i did a light fluff & buff (only did the important steps with *'s beside them on goldenloki's site) and cleaned it last week.  after reading hundreds and hundreds of posts here, i took the p3at out for its first break-in today.  i shot 100 rounds of blazer brass (not the aluminum casings) and one mag full of speer gold dots with ZERO FTE's or FTF's.  i shot most using two hands but i did drills with strong hand and weak hand only.  wow, you could feel the snappiness in the one-handed weak hand shots!  

i am one happy customer!!  zero problems on my first outing and i tore nice ragged holes in the center of the targets at 7 yards - of course there were a couple flyers here and there.  i dumped one full mag into a target at 15 yards and put all 6 shots on paper - definitely wasn't expecting that.  i honestly shoot this gun almost as well as my XD9SC.  i really do and i'm so impressed.  

it is so unbelievably easy to carry this thing in my front pocket.  so light!  i bought a blackhawk pocket holster and a concealed concepts pocket pal.  i decided to stick with the blackhawk in my right front pocket and carry the pocket pal holster in my left pocket with an additional mag.  using the pocket pal kind of like a mag-packer in my left pocket, i stuff my phone and clip a knife into the gun holster part of the pocket pal.  it keeps the additional mag, phone and knife all in the same place all the time and prevents it moving around in my left pocket.  if i can get my camera working i'll take some photos.  not to mention that now both my pockets look even and flat.

i put a KTAddons grip cover on before the range session.  i believe it really helped me maintain a good grip on the pistol.  i've got an order in with kel-tec for 2 +1 mag extensions.  i like the idea of having 8 rounds in my front pocket and i bet it'll feel even better in my hand while pointing.  

anyway... thanks again and nice to meet you all,

kb

2. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Re: new member, new p3at, first post and range rep

Welcome to the group. Glad you first outing was a good one. Always remember to lube after cleaning..

John

3. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007

Welcome!!! Shoot, clean, lube, repeat!!!

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

welcome to KTOG

clean lube shoot, repeat ;)

5. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005

No FTE's or FTF's what fun is that. ;D

Glad to here it went well for you. Don't be afraid to jump into the other threads.

6. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008

Welcome KB,

Nice report, glad your happy with the p3at, but watch out for KTF (Kel Tec Fever), they do seem to multiply.

CK

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Yawn.  How boring.  Everything went right, you already have good accessories and the +1s are on order.  NOTHING to help you with?

Except maybe:  
    How's your love life?
    What are you getting for your next KT?

[​IMG]

-Scott

8. RV

RV New Member

Apr 4, 2008

That's the truth, on the mutiply. Up to three (2 P-3AT, 1 P-32) and if I'm not careful who knows whrere it will end.  ;)
    Ron

9. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008

yeap, these guys are right when they say that they multiply. p3at 3 months ago, pf9 last week. i think i am done for a while though. just waiting for CTC to put out there laser for the pf9 then im good. cant wait to get the heck out of work here so the GF and i can go shoot our 3 kel tecs. what a date. welcome

10. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008

Yours is working out better than mine. I did a very light fluff and buff and have shot 200 rounds only to find that so far Winchester for some reason are the only rounds that will feed right out of 4 different brands of ammo I've tried. I went back today and looked at all of the areas that are really shiny from shooting and did a bunch more buffing with my dremel and some heavy and light rubbing compound. I guess I didn't sand and buff enough initially. I polished the feed ramp to a mirror-like finish with the hope that this will correct the issue. I wish mine was acting as simple as yours is!

11. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008

thanks, everyone.  hey voigts, specifically which types of ammo have you tried?  did you try speer gold dots or remington golden sabers?  hopefully the additional polishing will do the trick.  good luck and let us know how it turns out.

i ordered some new practice and carry ammo today.  i've got my fingers crossed that my next range trip will be as successful as yesterday's.  

kb

12. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008

So far I have only tried Remington FMJ, AE FMJ, Winchester FMJ, and Federal Hydrashocks. I can get Speer gold dots locally but haven't tried them yet, but no one seems to have the Golden Sabers. I picked up some more Winchester FMJ today (found out Walmart carries it for $32 for a box of 100) and a box of Corbon JHPs from Sportman's Warehouse. I was going to go do some shooting this morning with a friend to see if the polishing did the trick, but my daughter is sick so I did the chicken noodle soup run instead. I'll probably go sometime later next week.

I'm sure you will have no issues when you fire again since you didn't the first time.

13. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008

Hey guys, i'm gonna tag onto this thread. It has a range question and doesn't really warrent its own thread. My neice and her bf came by yesterday. She had never shot a gun, he gets his hair cut by uncle sam. He's going to Afganistan in January. Knows his guns, brought an ar15. We shot .22's long and hand guns, some 9mm, .44, the ar15... you know, just had fun in the yard. We were heading to the back yard to shoot some clays and I said "oh, wanna shoot my p3?". We moved up about 12 ft from the backstop. I shot 3 and passed it to him. He tried 2-3 time to shoot and it wouldn't shoot. I told him to pull the trigger all the way. He did, it did, he did again and handed it back. I said "shoot the last one". No way, he wanted nothing to do with it. Did not like it at all. His dad and brothers are have been cops, around guns all his life, didn't like the p3. To each his own. So here is the question. We passed the gun back and forth a bit, and I did not want to dry fire it, so I pulled the slide to verify it had the last round in it. It did, so I *eased* the slide back and fired. Shot fine, but did the only FTE i've ever had. I had a few (2-3) FTF's in the first 25 round, but no problems since. I'm putting this stovepipe down to operator error, and not a gun failure. Agree?

Kbizzle, welcome to the club. Good bunch of guys here.

Thanks, Lop