Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have browsed this site on and off for a few years and thought I'd join up.

So, 7 or 8 years ago I purchased a first generation P32. Had a few issues with it and had to send it back for repair. Since getting it back it's been pretty reliable with the exception of some shells not fully ejecting...and creating a jam. I do have a few guns, so I typically carry one of the others because of this reliability problem with the Kel Tec.

Being a first generation, would there be a benefit to sending the gun in again to Kel Tec and having them look it over? I've heard that Kel Tec upgrades these first gen guns to new models a lot of the time and is still able to retain the original serial number.

What's the consensus here between the different versions of this gun? Is the newer one more reliable? Have the weaknesses been dealt with, or are there still going to be some things I need to do such as polishing the ramp and things like that.

I'd really like to keep this gun because of the size, and I'd really like to be able to finally use some Cor Bon +p ammo in this thing.

Anyways, cheers and look forward to some responses.

·
Registered
823 Posts
mill personally I'd send it in. what have u got to lose? You have lost confidence in it already so it's just as good as not having it. I'd do that and/or sell it (if you are ok with that) and get a new one.

Just a warning btw: mine has shot every single type of ammo I have put thru it perfectly..except the Corbon JHP. That round shakes my gun like it is going to fly apart and caused the only failures (twice) in the gun that I ever had. I just don't use it anymore and I am fine. It does fire the Corbon Pow'R Ball well though. I don't know about their newest DPS rounds. Haven't tried those (I would like to. Great ammo).

I love this little gun mainly because of it's amazing reliability so I hope you do get satisfaction from it. You are missing out on something.

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
1st gen P32s were/are not especially problematic. They rarely had the difficulties that the 1st gen P3ATs sometimes displayed. I'd polish the chamber, try several different brass-cased rounds, and maybe call KT for a replacement extractor before I'd send it back. Those options are far easier, take very little time, and more often than not are effective. You can always fall back on the warranty.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
What Tex said. Reliability is an individual item thing, not a generation/design thing.

I wouldn't cling too tightly to the idea that if you send it to KT they'll just say "oh, what the hey. Let's send him a Gen II", unless there was something unrepairable on it/kay parts no longer in supply. They aren't going to replace it just because that sounds easy.

I'd really like to be able to finally use some Cor Bon +p ammo in this thing.
I'm not sure that's a particularly meaningful goal, compared to shooting FMJ's. It's a .32 acp. And a barrel less than 3". Pretty much you'll just make it louder, not more effective.

I'd start with replacing the recoil guide rod and spring, then a fluff & buff. After that maybe extractor and spring. Those steps are highly likely to result in your reliability issues being resolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I just finished cleaning and lubing the gun and ran a couple hundred rounds of whatever I had laying around. It ran without a hiccup. I will probably take the advice and do some more polishing. I've long since done the feed ramp. What other place or places is it recommended to do this?

Got an email in to Kel Tec to see if they'll send me out a few things for it. (under warranty of course) ; )

Getting back to Corbon. I've always loved them, but haven't tried the Powerball ammo yet. I think I'll get a couple boxes and see how she likes them.

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
that's real cool!

ya need it anyway, make a copy of that receipt ...

I have a gen 1 p32, eats anything, it's tight. 2 mags and 1 big mag I ordered for it.

They EMAILED me a UPS sticker, took 15 minutes, then I printed it off and taped it on box.

If you need to send it back press 7....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts