New member and range report (pix)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Mean_Bone, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Mean_Bone

Mean_Bone New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I originally posted this range report on www.GeorgiaPacking.Org,  so some of you may have seen this.  Many of those reading at GPO would not have been familiar with the P3AT so some of this will be redundant stuff for you guys.  Anyway, being my first post I thought I'd throw in my first experience with this neat little gun.

This is an outstanding forum, BTW!  Glad I found it!

The Kel Tec .380's were selling pretty good at a recent gun show here in South Georgia.  One dealer said he had had six and they were all gone by Sat afternoon.  One guy bought three of them!.  I think he had them for $269.  Said he wish he'd brought more.

I picked up this little Kel Tec for $289 plus a side clip for $15.  Haven't installed the clip, yet.  Kel Tec accessories can be found here.  Looks like I got took on the clip.  KT has'em for 11 bucks.

[​IMG]

When I got home I went on the net and looked up reviews.  Uh-oh . . . should of done my due diligence before I bought it.  Seems people are pretty divided.  Some had no problems at all, while others couldn't get through the first magazine without one or more jams and had to send their's back.

With apprehension I headed for the range.

The magazine holds six rounds.  I loaded the six, chambered a round and loaded another in the mag giving me seven.  I figured this would be a good test as this technique seems to have more feeding problems associated with it, at least in some weapons.

I fired 50 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of Remington JHP all with seven rounds in the weapon each time.

Not a single bobble!!  I'm a happy boy!

[​IMG]

Using the front and rear sights (if you can call them that) I got about an 8 inch group 6-8 inches to the left at 15 yards.  This is not a pleasant gun to shoot off the bench.  The recoil is not that bad, it's just not a comfortable gun to hold.  After 100 rounds I had enjoyed all I wanted.

Going up to the 7 yd line rapid fire (very rapid) I found I could keep all the rounds in about a 10" circle using the top of the slide as a reference point.  And regarding rapid fire, be sure you let that trigger return all the way to the front or, just like a revolver, it will not fire.

Well, I'm glad I bought it.  I'll probably keep it awhile, play with it and sell it to purchase something else. (I've changed my mind about that, now.  It's a keeper)  

This is only my opinion, but I would only consider using this little handgun up close and personal.  Probably best used by someone who has a good bit of experience shooting as it takes practice and determination to direct your hits under time constraints.  I would not consider it for someone new to firearms unless they absolutely had to carry something this small . . . then it certainly beats a .25 or .32.

The gun I carry most is my S&W Model 640 (an early "Tested +P+") loaded with +P 158 grain LHP.  It's a bit more to carry but not that much considering I can take head shots at 15 yds with confidence.  Something I would absolutely not do with this little Kel Tec.

Well, that's my take.  YMMV . .

After hanging around this forum I believe I'll be adding one of the ArmaLaser's to this little darling.  The more I play with it the more I like it!

2. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Welcome, MB

Nice Report, I think the more you shoot the little gun the more you like it...

CK

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

Nice write up and some very good observations.
    the only concern I saw was that bag of remanfacture :-/
    but if they work, great. I think the pistol functions better with hotter rounds, though they could take there toll.

Clean, lube, shoot ;)

4. Mean_Bone

Mean_Bone New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Thanks, JFB

They do well.  He told me he provides practice ammo for Valdosta, GA PD.

I've used some of his other calibers (10mm, .38 spl, 41 mag, .44 mag and .45 ACP) with no problems.

5. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Congratulations on your new KT, and welcome to KTOG!

6. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Sounds like a good day at the range to me! Glad you like the new addition. Be careful, they are addictive ;)

7. Mean_Bone

Mean_Bone New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Yes, they are!

ArmaLaser has DeSantis Nemesis pocket holsters for $119.  I know that's expensive but they are specially designed to accommodate the P3AT with their laser PLUS they will include a FREE ArmaLaser!!  Just ordered it, tonight. Couldn't pass up that deal!

. . . and on it goes.

8. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    actually, the holster is 30.00 but you get it free when you buy the laser. Still not a bad deal.

9. Welcome to KTOG Mean_Bone, and thanks for the great report.

10. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Welcome to the group..Glad you learned to enjoy the P3. Seems the KT's have a learning curve for some people. Once you shoot it awhile you do get addicted. And yes they are addictive...One leads to another to another, etc :) And remember clean, lube, shoot...

John