New member and 1st impressions of P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 4eyedbuzzard, Jun 5, 2008.

1. 4eyedbuzzard

4eyedbuzzard New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Hi all,

New member and new P3AT owner.

First, thanks for all the great info here. I've been lurking for a while.

Just purchased a new P3AT and put 50 rounds of Federal AE 95 FMJ through it yesterday. The first two mags fired fine, with no problems as I got used to the length of the trigger pull and the general feel of the gun. Shooting slowly I had no problems with the weapon and managed some <3" groups at 8 paces taking my time - better than I actually expected. Rapid fire was a bit more problematic, with accuracy of course suffering, but still on the paper. I have a tendency to shoot to the right, due I think, to the long trigger pull and small depth of the gun's grip - the muzzle wants to move right at the end of the trigger pull. Had 1 FTE and 3 FTF's during rapid fire, and 1 FTF after - all on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds. The FTE jammed with the case about 3/4 out of the chamber, but cleared easily. The 3 FTF's were all nose up, 1 was a double feed with two rounds nose up. All had smileys and I suspect they were just caused during the FTF itself, and didn't happen in the magazine, but I'll be checking next time I shoot for this. I'm figuring these problems might have to do with "limpwristing", especially as I was trying to fire the pistol rapidly and they happened after several shots, but I've never fired a handgun this small or light before and have never experienced this with other guns(mostly larger heavier .22 and .45 pistols). I had the curved grip extender on during this, but will also try it without, as the gun is a bit small depth wise for the length of my palm and I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep a good firm grip on it.

Anyway, last night after firing and cleaning, I wound up doing the major * points of the fluff and buff (thanks to all here for this info)and hope to get out and also try a slightly different two handed grip method I saw described here as well to see if it's a gun problem or a "me" problem.

I have a couple of questions:

What brand grease do you recommend for the slide, etc? Is a graphite/moly disulphide type okay?
    Is getting rid of the limpwristing more learning and technique than putting on grip extensions and such?
    Are "in magazine" smileys still a problem on the 2nd gen models, or has the newer factory built rampotomy ;) cured this? [Told ya I've been lurking ;D ]
    Anybody here have any experience with Buffalo Bore's ammo? BB claims no problems, but I've read KT's warnings, and the little sucker kicks pretty good with standard velocity ball.

Thanks, nice to meet ya all, and any other tips are welcome.  :)

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

3. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    welcome...i use militec on everything and on all my firearms....limpwrisiting is a learned technique and after shooting this several times you'll learn the ins and outs...it's like having a new pair of shoes......anyway welcome ......

4. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Any grease at all will work just fine. What you have is good.

Welcome to KTOG.

5. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    I'm a new owner also.  You can read my first post on my experience here........

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1212017684

One thing I would recommend is not rapid firing for awhile.  Like I said in the other thread, I was firing about 1 shot per second and had no problems.  Once you get better reliability, you can start rapid firing and then you will see if that is the problem.

I use Slick50 One Grease.  I started using it on my muzzleloader breach plug and have since used it on everything else.  It is cheap and works great.

For me, the P-3AT was easier fired one handed.  I just took a very firm grip and pulled the trigger as smooth as possible until it broke.  I was NOT trying to hit the bull every shot or shooting for groups.  You can see what I did in the photo in the other post.

I look forward to hearing how the next shoot goes for you.

Also, I did have smileys.

6. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
  7. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Welcome!

Limpwristing is just that - a loose wrist. Don't allow the wrist to pivot during the ejection/feed cycle.

When the slide cycles the grip should be held firmly in place so the slide moves back and then forward as violently as possible. This assures a snappy ejection of the empty casing and a snappy feed of the next round.

If your wrist is held firmly the gun must push your whole arm in order to move, this avoids a soft action during the ejection/feed cycle.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Most any grease that is slippery, tacky, stays put, and doesn't dry out is good. You want the grease to stay in place and not migrate or puddle during shooting.

The key is to assure that the slide moves as smoothly and powerfully as possible during cycling.
    ------------------------------------------------
    If the trigger reach is short for you try using the pad of the last segment of your finger on the trigger. This allows more flexibibilty in your finger. You want your trigger finger to move but not your hand. I have kinda long fingers and this helped me.

I also extended the back of grip a bit by cutting hosing half and gluing three layers together, then stuffing them under a couple of layers of bike tube and a Hogue Jr. Slip-on grip.
    -------------------------------------------------
    The smileys can be helped by doing a minor rampectomy and/or sticking soft spacing material on the frame at the top/front of the mag well and at the bottom rear of the mag well. This tips the mag forward at the bottom and backward at the top away from the feed ramp.

Bobo

8. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Welcome 4EB - great to have you on board  :)

Wow Bobo, you packed all the coolest tips into the shortest space yet!

On Buffalo Bore - I use nothing but BB with Gold Dot bullets, because they yield the greatest energy with one of the best bullet designs available for the P3AT (more powerful than a 38 special +P snub). Other members of this forum commonly recommend Corbon DPX and Gold Saber.

Be aware of 2 potential problems with BB ammo. 1. May be more likely to FTE - try it before you commit to it. See if you can hold onto the weapon when using BB. 2. Adjust your site to compensate for the extra kick. I accomplish this using a laser site (hits 6 inches high at 21 feet), and/or don't worry at all about compensating for the close encounters one is most likely to be defending against.

I've shot a couple hundred rounds of BB so far with zero noticeable effect on my precious chrome P3AT. Frankly, I don't think I could afford to shoot enough BB to damage it.

9. 4eyedbuzzard

4eyedbuzzard New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies and tips.

I haven't been able to get out and shoot again yet. It's been raining everytime I've had the chance. Should be able to over the weekend. I'll post back with results.

Thanks again to all!