New mag catch

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bro61, Jan 9, 2009.

1. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I had to brag and show pics of my new stainless steel mag catch. I've been working on this for a while off and on. Its about my 6th try but got it right this time. I'm glad I have it cause when took out the plastic one it was already worn a little. Even though I replaced it once already and have been being very careful with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. What tools did you use to make it?

3. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Wow...had one years ago. :cool:

[​IMG]

4. usdm

usdm New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Did you make that?! :eek:

I've been wondering how much that plastic mag catch can hold up against a metal magazine.

5. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I'm a machinist so I had a cnc mill at my disposal. Still it took a little hand filing and sanding to make it work properly. I'm going to tweak my programs and try again to make one that will work without any hand work. Besides I may buy another p3at that will need a stainless steel mag catch. It takes a lot of work to make these little buggers, I don't blame the guys who are selling them for charging what they do. I shot it today just to be sure everything was right. It worked perfect. The metal mag catch holds the magazine in the well much tighter. That has to be better for feeding.

6. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    I'm a machinist so I had a cnc mill at my disposal. Still it took a little hand filing and sanding to make it work properly. I'm going to tweak my programs and try again to make one that will work without any hand work. Besides I may buy another p3at that will need a stainless steel mag catch. It takes a lot of work to make these little buggers, I don't blame the guys who are selling them for charging what they do. I shot it today just to be sure everything was right. It worked perfect. The metal mag catch holds the magazine in the well much tighter. That has to be better for feeding.[/quote]

I'd be interested in buying one if you ever decide to sell them. If you could dial in your CNC so that little/no final handwork had to be done I imagine it would keep your costs down. ;)

7. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    +1

8. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Your right about the time to fabricate them. I use a mini mill to (not a CNC) fabricate the ones that I sell but it's still a LOT of hand work: grinding, filing, sanding and polishing after wards. After I mill the raw parts you have drill the hole, and the hole has to be within 10 thousands. Then I have to hand grind all the rounded edges on a grinder. Big fingers and small parts makes for grinding finger nails and skin very easy. After grinding then I use three grades of sand paper and a file to remove any machine marks and polish them. Of course the last step is to blue them. Since I don't have a CNC or the electronic measurement options on my mini mill I have to hand measure everything during the machining process which takes time.

I don't think people realize the time and attention it takes to fabricate one of these little babies to turn them into a finished product. To start with you have to invest in the equipment in order to mill one. The cheapest mini-mill that's worth a dam% is about $600 which doesn't include the tooling so you can easily add another $600 for just BASIC tooling (read nothing fancy).

Anyway glad you got it right. I'm considering purchasing some electronics for my mini-mill to cut down on the measuring time.

9. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Yes the cnc definitely speeds up the process. I am currently milling the shape two at a time but it still takes two more processes to finish them not counting hand work. Since I am using my employers equipment on my own time and pieces of scrap material I probably wont be making any large quantities. They are fine with employees using the equipment for personal projects but not if its for profit. I will probably just make a few extras for myself and a friend.

10. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Just buy your own, everything for under $4,500. Only need to sell 200 to pay it off :eek: There are tons of things to make, triggers, sights, trigger shoes, etc. Just think how many other sites and guns there are out there :cool: If one part slows down, design something else. Endless designs, endless audience.

11. Hudispit

Hudispit New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Wow, I must be really lucky to get as many to work as I did on the first try. I didn't know that these guns carried such tight tolerances.

12. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    If it's not with in 10 thousands you will have to grind less or more material on the end that catches the mag or the button. I have a pattern for where it contacts the mag so I don't have to custom fit each mag release I mill. If to much of the release goes inside the mag it will hinder the follower from rising in the mag well when firing the weapon which is something you don't want.

13. Reeks

Reeks New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    What kind of coolant are you using for milling stainless steel? I machined stainless before and it would burn my solid carbide tools up really fast without a constant flow of a good cutting fluid. They would actually glow red. That was really a messy experience.

14. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I can't tell you the brand and exact type of coolant offhand. It's the same stuff we use for everything from cast iron to tool steel with no problems as long as you use appropriate feeds and speeds.

15. sniper7369

sniper7369 New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Williston, FL
    Man, that looks GOOD. :eek: Nice job, I can't wait to get metal catches in my guns.