Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OK, disregard. Phew.

After thinking of it for a bit, I thought that maybe the bolt activated something that caused the CTG Catch Inner to drop. Sure enough, I put the bolt back in and the shells moved forward to the CSAs and I was able to eject them.

I'm embarrassed, but I'm keeping this up here in case someone has similar issues.

Now I'm going to reassemble it and insert new shells to see if it cycles properly. I'm hoping it will. Stand by.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
SUCCESS.

OK, here's what happened. But first, thanks for everyone's help and pointing me in the right direction.

I purchased a picatinny rail from Bullpup Armory because I read the story about the guy blowing off his hand using only the plastic rail on the original slide.

Two things: one, make sure it's correctly installed. On one side, there's a barely perceptible groove that fits with the slide release. I had mine on backwards the first time. Thus, the picatinny rail was preventing the CSA's from being depressed.

HOWEVER (and here's where I don't feel like such a jack-A), even with the rail mounted in the correct direction, there's not enough space between the groove and the slide release to allow the CSA's to be depressed. I don't know why, but it's not enough. I had to move the picatinny rail one groove forward (there will be slight overlap) to get the full depression of the CSAs.

What I discovered is that it's the last 1/16th of an inch in racking it that causes the CSA's to be depressed. If you don't FULLY RACK IT (meaning ALL THE WAY TO THE BACK), the CSAs will not depress.

Consistent cycling appears to be achieved by racking it HARD and all the way to the rear. The slide will hit a certain point and you'll think it's fully back, but that's where it's just getting ready to depress the CSAs. If you don't bring it back that last 1/16th of an inch (and you can feel it if you do it slow), the CSAs will not depress and the shells won't cycle.

OK. I'm very tired but very relieved. I re-mounted my Mag Pul vertical grip and am looking forward to taking it to the range once again, but this time with a better understanding of how it's supposed to function.

Thanks again for the information and patience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yup.

There are angled ramps that the forend (metal) pushes backward against. Those are the cartridge stops. They are rockers. Backward movement against the ramped area pushes them toward the barrel. The opposite ends of them (holding the shells) push away from the barrel (and shells) and if there is no selector arm holding the shell back, the shell is released. Its a VERY simple mechanism. You can see it work with the grip section removed, aka, partial field strip.
Thank you. I was having the same problem. After reading your suggestion, I removed the fore grip I had installed to the very rear of the bottom rail. That’s when I realized it was hitting the slide release and not allowing me to fully rack it. Thanks again!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts