Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, All.

Well, took my new KSG out to the range today for the first time. Very disappointing.

I'd done quite a bit of research before buying it and heard about the FTF issues, but believed that was solved by giving it a hard, sharp rack, vice short stroking it.

Before I went to the range today, I practiced loading and feeding to make sure I knew what I was doing. A very frustrating experience. I would rack it 10 times and no shells would feed. Finally, after an hour, I thought I'd come upon the solution with hard racks. I put five in a row through and thought the problem was solved.

Went out to the range today in front of all my colleagues ready to show off my brand new toy and it was pretty embarrassing. The KSG cycled the shells probably 25% of the time. I could do it 10 times in a row and nothing would happen. I'd switch between tubes and nothing.

It appeared towards the end as the shotgun fired a few in a row it seemed to cycle more consistently, but still, major problems.

I did everything I've read online, including adjusting the selector lever to make it a little looser, then making it a little tighter. Nothing worked.

The only thing that seemed to help things was to fully load the tubes. The more shells in the tubes seemed to make it actually cycle. But honestly, there was no discernible pattern as to when it would cycle and when it wouldn't.

I'm planning to call Kel Tec, but loathe the idea of sending in a brand new shotgun for repairs already. I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm not sure what the cycle is supposed to look like, but when the bars move back, I suppose the shells are supposed to be released onto them, which lifts them into the center barrel. I didn't see this happening at all when I was watching it. The arms went back, the shells didn't move, then the arms went forward.

This newbie could really use some help. Thanks.

:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, not sure what you mean. I see the cartridge stop actuator is part #334. I have my shotgun broken down, but not sure what you mean by "manually activate" it. I see it can be moved from side to side, but that's it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Presuming the KSG is assembled you should be able to reach a thumb to a CSA and manually push it down to release a shell where the lifter would normally be...if you do that, does a shell release?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for working with me on this, BTW.

I think I'm thinking of something completely different. Regardless, you appear to be talking about the silver levers that hold the shells in place. If you press down on them, the shells release. Correct?

Don't know what you mean by "where the lever should be," but yes, when I press down on the silver levers, the shell is released. There are two of them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
...talking about the silver levers that hold the shells in place. ...Don't know what you mean by "where the lever should be," but yes, when I press down on the silver levers, the shell is released. There are two of them.
With the bolt closed the shell lifter (not "lever") is out of the way. There is one "silver lever" for each mag tube on either side of the selector lever...that is the cartridge stop...the end is serrated & can be manually activated by thumb to empty the mags.

The KSG requires a full-hard pump to cause the cartridge stop to release a shell. Apparently your KSG is not moving the cartridge stop far enough to release a shell. I wonder if a Bubba notch mod might help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
- Not sure what a Bubba notch mod is, though I presume it's in the same category as modifying something using chewing gum and bailing wire....
- Yes, I installed a picatinny rail with a vertical grip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PART II:

OK, this forum has already helped me understand the mechanics of the KSG better.

I just tried to run some shells through the KSG and here's what appears to be going on - from my rudimentary understanding of the KSG, it appears as though when the slide is racked to the rear, something is supposed to trigger the CSA into depressing slightly in order to allow the shell lifter to guide the shell into the firing tube. I don't know if it is set off by the force of the rack, or if there is some sort of button/tab that is supposed to be activated as the forend is racked rearward, but whatever's supposed to be going on is not.

I, obviously, manually depressed the CSA's with the forend pulled to the rear and observed how the shell is supposed to be guided into place, but it is not happening when I normally rack it. I hope this explains better. Sorry for my previous lack of clarity.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Try racking with no accessories on the bottom rail.....at all.
Just curious what difference that could possibly make? Please explain your thought process. Are you thinking his add on rail might be preventing full motion of the forend? If so, that is a good thought since the release occurs at the very end of the travel.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yup.

There are angled ramps that the forend (metal) pushes backward against. Those are the cartridge stops. They are rockers. Backward movement against the ramped area pushes them toward the barrel. The opposite ends of them (holding the shells) push away from the barrel (and shells) and if there is no selector arm holding the shell back, the shell is released. Its a VERY simple mechanism. You can see it work with the grip section removed, aka, partial field strip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I took the Magpul vertical grip off and did an experiment.

Left tube loaded with five shells of Federal slugs. 25 racks, no shells chambered, one fell out/was released without chambering.

Right tube - 25 racks, two shells chambered, two shells fell out.

This has pretty much been the average. Right tube seems to work better than left, but that's not really saying anything. The gun does not feed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
take off the grip

you'll see the actuating mechanism

It should be fairly obvious what the problem is

The selector should be rather tight, very little, almost no rocking in it. Too much free play in its screw is cause for problems

Both magazines "release" at the same time, the difference being that one set of shells is restricted by the selector.

That should get you close to seeing what the problem is

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I think I've figured it out. The add on picatinny rail is hitting the slide release before it can fully go all the way back to depress the CSAs. Damnit.

Let me see if i can find a workaround. I can't believe I'm the only one this has happened to...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now I'm in a pickle. I thought I had it figured out, but now I've got two shells stuck in the tubes. The picatinny rail add-on was preventing the slide from racking all the way, and things were looking up, but now you can see what's happening. I'm not sure what this part is called, but it's right between the CSAs and in front of them. Somehow, the corners of the piece of metal are preventing the shells from moving forward. I'd never noticed this piece before. There is about a 1/2 mm gap now between the shells and the CSA and this piece of metal is now preventing the shells from going forward.

I've tried breaking down the shotgun completely to pull the tubes forward of the piece of metal, but I've unscrewed the magazine bolts and the tubes are still not coming forward. I'm in dangerous territory here. I'm thinking I'd best let a professional handle it as I've reached the end of my abilities unless someone has a magic bullet. I'd really appreciate that.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts