New KSG Double Feed

Discussion in 'KSG Bullpup Shotgun' started by SteeleKSG, Apr 5, 2020.

1. SteeleKSG

SteeleKSG Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Hi All, I’m a new, proud KSG owner and happy to join the KTOG forum.

Looking for some help and insights here. I purchased a KSG a few weeks ago since falling in love with the concept back in 2011 when a buddy bought one. In that time, I figured I’d wait for refinement and had a couple other gun purchase priorities. Fast forward, I was so excited to get my KSG but had to wait 10-day CA DROS F’n BS period. The gun is new although it was on the wall at local dealer so likely had a lot of handling, but not live fired.

Anyway, I used the time to research all the tips, tricks and ways to successfully handle the gun. Finally, we went out last Friday and I shot 170 rounds through it. I was 75% successful with it not jamming. I was racking like a mo-fo as people have instructed. I was shooting 2 ¾ shot and slugs along with mini-shell shot and slugs. It was more prone to jamming with the minis. It did not double feed.

Once home, I disassembled it to clean it, oil it, and smooth the catch inner (330) and outters (331) and stop actuator (334), and loc-tite the selector and get it to a snug spec.

The issue I am now experiencing is double-feeding – if I have the right tube selected, then two shells are coming out of the right tube. It’s the same issue for the left.

I really, really want this gun to be reliable and don’t have plans to get rid of it. Any input you have would be extremely appreciated. I plan to call Keltec but fear they’ll want me to ship the gun and then who knows how long it’ll be gone. However, whatever it takes to get this pup 100% reliable!

Thanks!
    SteeleKSG

Floyd Eye likes this.
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2019
    You shouldn’t be worried about sending it to Kel Tec. From everyone I’ve heard from Their turnaround times are great. Top notch customer service.

Someone here likely will be able to help you if it’s an easy fix.

SteeleKSG likes this.

3. silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    The minis may give you trouble in the beginning. If the 2 3/4 are running fine use them for a while. Wait to do any fluff and buff for another 200 rounds or so.
    Then see how it's running.

I ran mine new for about 500 rounds of Wally world shells before I tried mini shells or any tweaking.

Make sure you mag tube nuts arent loose.

4. SteeleKSG

SteeleKSG Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Thanks Floyd Eye. I hope it's something easy and or coordinating with Keltec is an efficient process that yields the expected results of many trouble-year shots fired!

Floyd Eye likes this.
  5. SteeleKSG

SteeleKSG Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Silverback, I did take off the mag tub nuts, removed the springs and mag followers to clean the tubes today. Should the followers be oiled?

6. Floyd Eye

Dec 6, 2019
    I don’t think you should ever oil springs or followers. Clean them and I think you can use dry lube.

The Headhunter likes this.
  7. silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    I figured you took mag tubes out. Make sure you put them back according to directions . Tighten 1/4 on one side then the next. Check your manual page 14 about correct and incorrect gap.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  8. SteeleKSG

SteeleKSG Member

Apr 4, 2020
    In reference to the lubing the mag tubes, the manual does not mention it but I have seen a reputable dealer post a video online slothering a lot of oil on shiny new aftermarket followers. I also saw another few vids just thowing 'em back in without oil.

I ended up getting in contact with Kel Tec live and told them of the issue. They sent me a paid Fed Ex label so I'm going to send it in and get 'er dun!

In the meantime, stocked up on slugs for the 'next time' and will plink XD.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  9. Floyd Eye

Dec 6, 2019
    Oil attracts dirt. You DO NOT want to oil your mag springs. Believe me. If you use oil or something to clean them, be sure you wipe all that oil off. Dry lube is best if anything.

10. SteeleKSG

SteeleKSG Member

Apr 4, 2020
    I agree with the thought considering the followers are plastic and the springs are thin and float in the middle of the tube.

11. Floyd Eye

Dec 6, 2019
    You don't oil your the mags for your pistols right? When they get dirty you wipe down the outside, take them apart, wipe down the spring and follower ( with a clean cloth) and if you want, hit them with some dry lube. It's the exact same reasoning. Certain places a little bit of carbon or dirt isn't the end of the world. Magazines and strikers you definitely don't want oil on. Unless you break them down and clean them every time, then it's probably fine I guess.

12. SteeleKSG

SteeleKSG Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Wanted to provide an update on my KSG - I contacted Kel Tec and was able to speak to technical support. I told him about the issue. He quickly sent me a return label enabling me to send it in. Meanwhile, I took it down to my gun shop to get their take. They experienced the same jamming and recommend sending it in. I sent it in which took about 5 days ground. Kel Tec rec'd it Weds afternoon EST. By Thurs morning PST, I had a confirmation that repairs were done and gun was being ready to ship back to me. I called Kel Tec who basically stated they replaced the internals, swapped the plastic mag followers with aluminum ones, successfully test fired it, and good to go. It took about 5 days for shipping back to me. I'm now in possession of it and can't wait to try it out. I'm definitely impressed with Kel Tec's customer service and would recommend them. Thanks Kel Tec!

Otingocni likes this.
  13. Otingocni

Otingocni Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Glad to read about your positive experience.

Before I got my KSG, I seriously considered some other bullpup style shotguns. From the DP12 to all the different Turkish ones flooding our markets recently. I did a lot of research on customer service, support, community, aftermarket parts/accessories, etc. for the different brands.

After reading everyone's feedback on their level of customer service, owner's issues always being resolved promptly, etc. I went with Kel Tec. I'm always willing to pay a little extra, and continue to be brand-loyal, to companies who take care of their customers. This not just goes for my firearms but tools, mountain bikes and other outdoor gear as well.