Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just picked up my KS7 last week. I haven't had time to shoot it yet, but I've already ordered the Kel Tec extended butt pad, the rubber grip from Mcarbo, a budget red dot (with good reviews online), and a Voodoo 36" tactical bag (I wanted room to spare with butt pad and muzzle break).

Holding it in position, it feels like the gun fits into my shoulder better at a 45 degree angle. What's the best way to install my red dot on the right side? Can I mount straight to the m lock, or so I need to get a m lock to pic rail adapter first and mount the sight off the rail? I like the grab handle (for now at least), so I don't want to put on a top rail.

I want the Howitzer70, but I may also want to swap in a longer barrel a few times a year to shoot clays with family. How much more complicated would adding the muzzle break add to the process? I'm a revolver guy and new to shotguns, so i don't know if it's something i should just do myself or take it to the local shop.

And lastly (for now), I've looked online but not found any company making a truck gun mount for the KS7. I'd like to mount it either under the passenger seat bottom or behind the passenger seat back on my Escalade EXT (think Chevy Avalanche).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats on the KS7.

I wish I would have thought to get a bigger case to accommodate a choke adapter . Good thinking.

As far as a longer barrel, MAYBE the KSG-25 barrel will fit. Not sure though.

If shooting clays, a choke adapter may be better than the muzzle break. There isnt a dedicated choke adapter for the KS7 that I have seen (only KSG ones, works on KS7 with a little modding).

I went with a Limbsaver Airtech size small. Works pretty good to reduce recoil.

What red dot you go with?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey all, I just picked up my KS7 last week. I haven't had time to shoot it yet, but I've already ordered the Kel Tec extended butt pad, the rubber grip from Mcarbo, a budget red dot (with good reviews online), and a Voodoo 36" tactical bag (I wanted room to spare with butt pad and muzzle break).

Holding it in position, it feels like the gun fits into my shoulder better at a 45 degree angle. What's the best way to install my red dot on the right side? Can I mount straight to the m lock, or so I need to get a m lock to pic rail adapter first and mount the sight off the rail? I like the grab handle (for now at least), so I don't want to put on a top rail.

I want the Howitzer70, but I may also want to swap in a longer barrel a few times a year to shoot clays with family. How much more complicated would adding the muzzle break add to the process? I'm a revolver guy and new to shotguns, so i don't know if it's something i should just do myself or take it to the local shop.

And lastly (for now), I've looked online but not found any company making a truck gun mount for the KS7. I'd like to mount it either under the passenger seat bottom or behind the passenger seat back on my Escalade EXT (think Chevy Avalanche).
I'd shoot it a bunch first before you spend a lot of money dressing it up. You might surprise yourself by how little it needs. I bought a red dot but replaced the carry handle with the Kel Tec pic rail. I too liked the carry handle but the sight was difficult for me to use at my range. I think it would have been fine for me in daylight conditions. Regarding the barrel, go shoot some clays before you spend that money! I never shot clays before I bought my KS7 and have since gone out several times. I did quite well. The barrel already is a standard length barrel I believe. Enjoy, and welcome to the club. You will have a lot of fun. Check out the KS7 pictures thread in the forum too. I got some good ideas there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
happy so far with vector wrath. got 2 for about $50 each. regular about $100. cheapest one with auto shut off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been a law enforcement firearms instructor since 1980. I am retired from my agency, and now own a security, private investigations, and training firm. My company does executive protection, estate security, and high value commodities transport. I wanted a compact shotgun to carry in my company vehicle, that was reliable. I have several shotguns that I have obtained over the years, so I am very familiar with them. I have a Remington Tac-14 and Tac-13V3. I have added SB Tactical arm braces to both of them. They are compact. but I was still looking for a smaller package.

I had experience with an early KSG, and frankly wasn't all that impressed. So when I saw the KS-7 released I was skeptical to say the least. I started reading some very good reviews from some respectable sources, I decided to see if maybe this little boomer might be the ticket I was looking for.

I picked one up in FDE (Hey I live in the desert, seemed legit) I went to the range the first time with a few boxes of 00 Buck in tow. I fired the first two boxes without any malfunctions. The only bad thing was this little mule kicks. So I ordered the Pachmayer slip on recoil pad and went back to the range. I fired another three boxes of 00 Buck again without a malfunction. The Pachmayer pad was a Godsend, much easier on the shoulder.

The only thing I have found that is troubling to me is the forend tends to bang the hell out of my index finger during recoil. I'm now in the hunt for a piece of cushioning material to apply to the forend to stop the assault on my finger.

I know some people hate the carry handle/sight system. I actually found it to be quick and intuitive for a defensive shotgun, I'm not one that thinks that you need to add a ton of accessories to s working shotgun, keep it light and nimble. The only additions I am looking at are a light system, and the Mcarbo single point sling pin upgrade.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Check out neoprene sheets amazon. The are stick on and hold well. I have found that when pushing the handgaurd forward I tend to keep my hand on the larger portion if the handgaurd. I put grip tape on it and it helps.
It's a minor difference In hand position. Takea a little training but once you get used to not pushing your hand all the way forward in the handgaurd the problem will go away.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Obviously the Kel-Tec engineers learned a lot with the KSG and put that experience into the KS7.
The KSG seems to be rather "gimmicky" with the complicated double magazine feed system that's given a lot of trouble to owners.
The KS7 seems to be a mature design with a far less complex and troublesome system and I think it's a top choice for a compact defense shotgun.

The Remington and Mossberg Witness Protection type cut down guns can't be used like a pistol or a standard shotgun, so getting shot on target is much more difficult.
As most any experienced combat shooter can tell you, if a butt stock isn't in your shoulder getting consistent and effective hits on a target is difficult at best.
Many people can smoke a target on a range with the small shotguns, but put them on a real combat range and the hit percentages drop fast.

The KS7's actual stock and longer barrel stands up very well on a combat course.
A standard shotgun "points" better and can be superior on a course, but when an ultra compact shotgun is needed I think the KS7 is the go-to.
It's not as bulky and heavy as a bullpup semi-auto, and avoids the usual projecting magazine most of the autos have.

The key is to practice extensively, and to avoid the common mistake of over-accessorizing the gun and slowing it down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think you'll find most law enforcement agencies are going to a 14 inch barrel on their issued shotguns. It's just easier to move in tight places and smaller vehicles. My old agency the U.S. Customs Service started issuing them in the early 90's. The difference in barrel length and accuracy at the effective range of shotgun ammo is negligible.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I found that putting the grip tape stuff on the charging handle kept me from slipping so much under recoil and that kept my finger from getting banged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts