New KS7 Owner: Observations and Questions

Discussion in 'KS7 Bullpup Shotgun' started by tstetz, Jul 30, 2020.

1. tstetz

tstetz Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    [​IMG]

Hey guys, new KS7 owner here. Not new to KT though. I have a 3 digit serial number P32, had a couple P11's (including a stainless one), a PF9, and still have a PMR30.

I just grabbed a KS7 at my local police supply store. Not really a steal on it, but they had it in stock. A buddy at work grabbed one as well.

Initial range sessions have been positive. I have a bit over 100 rounds through it so far. One failure to extract, but it was an old round and I don't think my buddy racked it hard enough. It cleared when I tried it. I've used mixed low brass game loads, high brass 00 buck and slugs, and Aguila minis in both slug and shot. No issues other than that one sticky round.

I read the article on smoothing the KS7 out and need to look closer at that. The biggest thing I noticed is a sharp protrusion when loading shells. I think its the shell stop?? Not totally sure of the nomenclature of the part. My buddy and I had to watch how we loaded or we'd jab our thumb on it. Need to figure out exactly what that part is in relation to the article before I start smoothing anything. :p

Also read some stuff here on the "Gen 2" and how KT says there's no real Gen2 but they do upgrade things if they come in for repair. Any way to tell what I have? In theory the shop just got these in a few weeks ago, so it *should* be whatever the latest version is.

Other than maybe smoothing things out, I'm not looking at doing much to this one. Maybe a sling mount, and possibly a light. Any other "must have" upgrades though in you experiences? I've been reading a bit trying to catch up an what is worth looking for.

2. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    If it's a new gun it will have any upgraded parts.

I personally go with the "Simpler is better" theory so other then M-Loc sling mounts and an M16 nylon sling I've addeed nothing to the gun.
    Most accessories seem to be more for people just wanting to dress their gun up and make it more personal.
    You might read my article on defense shotguns.
    That's personal opinion but seems to be valid in the Real World..........
    https://www.thektog.org/articles/the-home-defense-shotgun-updated-2020.34/

The "sharp" part is the right shell stop. With the gun upside down that will be on the left side.
    The exposed area is just a hook-like protrusion.
    This serves to allow a shell to be ejected from the magazine into the receiver and to allow manually removing shells from the magazine without cycling them through the action.
    It may feel sharp to the finger but should not have actual sharp edges.

You might look at it and see if it does have a rough or sharp edge.
    Be very careful about doing any work on it or you could start having problems.

It's possible to disassemble the shell stops, but I don't recommend it.
    First I saw nothing in the system that needed any work at all, and second RE-assembly is difficult.
    What looks like two black steel bushings are in fact plastic and are a tight fit on the pins.
    This it to prevent the pins from walking out, and reassembly is much more difficult by having to try to position everything, position and load the spring, AND drive the pins through the plastic bushings.

So, unless you actually have a sharp edge on the shell stop and are getting cut or it's so uncomfortable you have difficulty loading the gun, I'd recommend leaving it alone.
    If it is a real problem, return it to Kel-Tec.

tstetz likes this.

3. tstetz

tstetz Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah, not looking at anything crazy. Sling, maybe a light, possibly the factory extended recoil pad, and maybe a high viz follower is what I'm thinking. Of those, the sling is my only semi priority. Figured I'd ask though, for the guys that have been running these for a while.

My house gun up until now for the past 25 years has been a Mossberg 590A1 with ghost ring sights and an M16 sling. Nothing crazy. I have a stock Shockwave as well. We use 14 inch 870's at work with the Surefire lighted forend and a sidesaddle and sling. Again nothing too crazy.

I'll have to look closer at the shell stop. Possibly just getting used to loading the gun may solve the issue. Its sort of unpleasant jabbing your thumb into it, but we did adjust our loading technique already to avoid it. I'd rather not send the gun in. It seems to be running well and I don't want to deal with that if I can avoid it.

4. WolfWings

WolfWings Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Kansas City
    Honestly learning to palm and load pairs of shells at a time helped me a lot too, only crossing that meathook with my thumb half as often.

tstetz likes this.
  5. Gliderguy

Gliderguy Member

Jan 28, 2020
    About the shell stop, I noticed if I loaded with my other hand, the whole geometry changed and I didn't bump it. Maybe not useful in a tactical sense, but if you are burning through a hundred rounds or more at the range, might be worth it. I wonder if Mcarbo or Hitech could make a slightly modified shell stop that has a blunt end there. seems like adding a little material with a 90 degree bend there at the end would give a flat surface to bump your thumb into, and maybe give a better grip to unload the magazine with.

tstetz likes this.
  6. tstetz

tstetz Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Worth trying.

7. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

[email protected] yahoo.com Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2020
    I got used to it. I found you only have to push the round in only so far, my thumb goes nowhere near the sharp part anymore. I have a position I hold the gun in, upside down with my left hand through the carry handle cradling the gun. Muzzle forward and down 45 degrees. It allows me to reload with my right hand pretty fast without my thumb getting hung up on that part. Takes a little practice but then muscle memory takes over.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    FVAL and tstetz like this.
  8. tstetz

tstetz Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Sounds good. I'll give that technique a shot.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2019
    A search of this forum will bring up plenty about the sharp corners on the loading tubes. Terry TR6 has the fix. If you go in at the right angle it's a non-issue, but....

FTE was likely caused by the parkerized finish inside the bore. Get a 12 ga. Mop, a battery operated drill and some polish and smooth it out. Problem solved.

No need to rack the gun "Hard", just make sure you go the full length of travel as all of the action occurs in the last 1/2".

I also subscribe to the K.I.S.S theory ( Keep it simple stupid). The only thing on mine that isn't stock is the Romeo 5 sitting on top.

FVAL and socrates like this.