Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New member to the forum and just purchased a KS7. With finding ammo and getting range time I wanted to purchase some 12 gauge snap caps to dry fire practice at home to get a "feel" for the KS7. This is my first shot gun so fortunately I have no preconceived expectations. Does anyone recommend a certain brand that seems to work well in the KS7 or is any snap cap available on Amazon fine? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
582 Posts
High marks to you for wanting to dry fire. Yes, you should.

It's not a rimfire* so despite everyone wanting to love their guns (and demonstrate that love) by using snap caps (not causing damage) no damage will be caused by just snapping on an empty chamber.

I can't tell you how many times I've dry fired a centerfire, any and all of them, over the years and I've not inflicted damage of any type. I shoot competitively and we dry fire approx' 10x more than we live fire. Or we do if we want to be any good. That's a lot of dry firing.

I understand the intent and agree with it, to not cause damage, but you simply aren't going to hurt anything by dry firing it w/o a snap cap in place. Save your money and buy some ammo. Just make sure that ammo is not in the gun when you dry fire. You probably know the drill, make sure the gun is unloaded, remove all ammo from the room, check the gun again, then commence to dry firing. Seriously, no shortcuts to the procedure. Truth be told, I've come very close to putting a hole in the wall but that was when I got so comfortable that I did NOT do as I wrote. After I caught my mistake and how close I came I vowed to not do that twice and haven't. For me it's just a hole in the wall and increased ventilation. But for others it could be someone dead in the next apartment. Learn from my mistake.

In the link below note that most items commonly found in the home will NOT stop bullets quickly. You don't want to trust to luck.
https://www.concealedcarry.com/safety/things-that-will-stop-a-bullet-and-things-that-wont/

*Some rimfires are OK to dry fire w/o snap caps but the owners manual will tell you. The Ruger 10/22 is one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the lesson on minimizing (or not actually causing) any damage dry firing this particular firearm without snap caps. My intent for using the snap caps was more for getting used to loading the magazine and also the "feel" when cycling through the pump to eject and then load the next shell. I've been reading on the forum the multiple complaints of the Kel Tecs not feeding shells properly and requiring some mild smoothing out of the lip of the magazine tube to help minimize the incidence of failure to feel. I figured snap caps would help me identify if I needed to perform this procedure on my particular weapon before I found myself at the range running into issues with real shells.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The lips on the mag tube thing is only going to affect loading the feed tube.

FTF/ FTE are usually caused by the parkerized finish in the chamber or the lifter arms or " Short stroking" it.

In any case, snap caps are a good idea.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I recommend buying snap caps with aluminum rims for actual practice.
The various brands made with plastic rims just don't stand up.

Brownell's sell several good brands with A-Zoom and Strike Industries made of machined aluminum......

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=dummy+cartridges&ksubmit=y

However, for use in diagnosing gun problems, snap caps are just "similar" to live ammo.
For use in diagnosis, buy Action Proving Dummies. These are the exact size, shape, weight, and balance of live cartridges.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Brownell's sell several good brands with A-Zoom and Strike Industries made of machined aluminum......

However, for use in diagnosing gun problems, snap caps are just "similar" to live ammo.
For use in diagnosis, buy Action Proving Dummies. These are the exact size, shape, weight, and balance of live cartridges.
Thank you. That's very good advise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve been very happy with “B’s Dummy” rounds. Got a 9-pack in “safety white” on eBay (though they have other colors too.) They look, feel, and cycle like real ammo, not solid metal or plastic, but a brass base with plastic shell, crimped at the end, but of course they’re “Dummy” rounds. They do have a soft area for seeing where/how the firing pin is hitting the primer area, but the biggest benefit is getting comfortable with loading and cycling. And in the KSG, getting used to switching mag tubes. Just be sure to cycle over carpet so they don’t get damaged when they eject and hit the floor...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve been very happy with “B’s Dummy” rounds. Got a 9-pack in “safety white” on eBay (though they have other colors too.) They look, feel, and cycle like real ammo, not solid metal or plastic, but a brass base with plastic shell, crimped at the end, but of course they’re “Dummy” rounds. They do have a soft area for seeing where/how the firing pin is hitting the primer area, but the biggest benefit is getting comfortable with loading and cycling. And in the KSG, getting used to switching mag tubes. Just be sure to cycle over carpet so they don’t get damaged when they eject and hit the floor...

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a follow up on this post. I bought the B's Dummies from Ebay and they are great! I can't compare them to other snap caps but they have the weight and "feel" of a real shell. Also the "Dummies" printed on the casing is awesome from a safety point of view. Highly recommend these for other's who read this thread. BTW, they sell them in a 6 pack which is perfect for the KS7.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a follow up on this post. I bought the B's Dummies from Ebay and they are great! I can't compare them to other snap caps but they have the weight and "feel" of a real shell. Also the "Dummies" printed on the casing is awesome from a safety point of view. Highly recommend these for other's who read this thread. BTW, they sell them in a 6 pack which is perfect for the KS7.

Thanks for the link. Just bought a pack myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts