Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i`m a new kid on the block. Joined KTOG today after visiting a few times.
The reason for my post today is to report on a newly purchased 380 P3AT.
I bought it about a week ago and finally made it to the range today to test for function mainly.
I did a simple clean and buff before taking it out to shoot.
I had fifty 95gr. Remington hard ball, and fifty Winchester clean on hand to try.
I shot 40 of the Remington first without a hitch. No FTFd, no FTF. Ejected rounds good.
I purposely saved the remaining ten rounds for carry.
When I tried the Win. clean, I had a few that failed to feed. The more I shot, the gun smooth out with the Win. clean but, I had already lost confidense in the flat nosed bullets.
I did get smileys.
When I got home I did a Rampectemy.
Conclusion: I liked the gun for its size and function BUT, upon inspection of the slide, I noticed peening after only 90 rounds. That pisses me off.
KelTec should correct this problem like yesterday.
Gun purchased second week of April, 2007.
Serial # J9DXX.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Welcome to the forum ice. I`m sure the night shift will be along soon. Sorry to hear of your peening, how bad is it? Pics. would help some of the Gods as far as what your next step should be... get some washers or send slide back to KT for new one. I have read that it may take weeks to get a new one. Do not be upset, all in all these are great guns and with a life time warranty, one can`t go wrong. ;D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys.
I hate to be complaining in my first post but, this peening thing is unexceptable to me.
I have owned a lot of guns over the years and never had this kind of defect.
I bought the gun with intentions of letting my wife carry it for protection.
Now i`m concerned that if she had a serious threat, she might be standing with her spring sticking out.
Plan to shoot it some more and watch the slide. Will take pictures later.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Mine had slight peening after 150 rounds. I'm a little stuborn and am going to wait a while to make 'very' sure the replacement slides are GTG before I send mine in .

I have ordered the washers from 'Nu_Agin_Shooter' here

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2503;action=display;num=1175020076

Being a nice guy I'd be glad to send one your way if you'd like to try it ( as soon as they come in ) PM me and I'll mail it to ya.

Welcome. :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
I would say thet if you want to send the slide in because you want to carry the gun a.s.a.p then send it in and get a washer. If the new slide comes back looking thin then put the washer on before even shooting it, wait awhile and send it back when you hear people getting good slides in return.

I was told by Kel-Tec service via e-mail the bad slides are all gone. ::) Well I sent the e-mail with the slide stating I did'nt want to send in the slide over and over. We know they are not all gone yet but we'll see if my magical e-mail worked. I was told 3-4 weeks turn around time to "fix" the slide, some people have told me it might be overestimated. It seems most people get the slides back in 1-2 weeks.

G

·
ice said:
Hi all, i`m a new kid on the block. Joined KTOG today after visiting a few times.
...a newly purchased 380 P3AT.
... I noticed peening after only 90 rounds. ...purchased second week of April, 2007.
Serial # J9DXX.
First:
Glad to have you here, and thanks for the report.

Second: This peening issue is making me sick.

But please know that some of the slides seem to peen just a bit then settle down.

Even though burley is trying to snake my Tahiti retirement fund by giving my product away
burley said:
Being a nice guy I'd be glad to send one your way if you'd like to try it ( as soon as they come in ) PM me and I'll mail it to ya.

Welcome. :)
(or maybe he is like most on this board and just trying to be helpful) look at the washer burly sends you and see what you think.

If you decide you want a set of washers, check this link:
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2503;action=display;num=1175020076

Again...glad to have you here.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Welcome to the site......If there was no posting on "peening" ....would you have looked for it?? Ninety rounds?? I don't think whatever the defect is will be defined as peening....

Hope that this doesn't keep you from posting in the future I truely welcome you.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
Even though burley is trying to snake my Tahiti retirement fund by giving my product away
I don't want to mess up you retirement, but maybe if I 'hook' enfough customers for ya I'll get a Tahiti trip for all those big $$$ I send your way ! ;D

I did post over at ksccw about these , told them to come here (ktog) ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nu, I took burley up on his offer. I`m sure he is trying to be helpful and I thank him for it.
I inspected the GR hole before shooting the gun, "new purchase", and then after coming back from the range.
Before, the outside surface was nice and smooth. After 90 rounds there was a slight but, noticable raised area around the GR hole that could be seen and felt.
I hope it stays that way and does not get any worse.
I plan to shoot it more and keep a watch on it. If it continues to degrade, i`ll keep count of rounds and post pictures later on.
I guess i`ll do as others here are doing. Shoot and watch.
Sure wish KT would hurry with a permanate fix as these are desireable little guns.
I may order some washers from you later. I want to watch it for awhile and see how it goes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome, and hope you have good luck with your P3AT. Mine has a very slight raised area around the guide rod, but does not seem to be enough for concern. I have stopped using my Santa Barbara ammo though, just in case. Still have 650 of the 1000 that I bought. :p

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
ice said:
Nu, I took burley up on his offer. I`m sure he is trying to be helpful and I thank him for it.
I inspected the GR hole before shooting the gun, "new purchase", and then after coming back from the range.
Before, the outside surface was nice and smooth. After 90 rounds there was a slight but, noticable raised area around the GR hole that could be seen and felt.
I hope it stays that way and does not get any worse.
I plan to shoot it more and keep a watch on it. If it continues to degrade, i`ll keep count of rounds and post pictures later on.
I guess i`ll do as others here are doing. Shoot and watch.
Sure wish KT would hurry with a permanate fix as these are desireable little guns.
I may order some washers from you later. I want to watch it for awhile and see how it goes.
Carefully examine your recoil spring guide rod. Both visually and by feel. Run the edge of your fingernail along it. What you are looking for is slight texture or machining marks which WILL act like a file and drag some metal out of the hole and enlarge it in the process.

It may feel smooth to the touch but you can detect roughness with your finger nail. If needed smooth the rod with lengthwise strokes with 400 or 600 grit sand paper. This is what raised a slight lip on my P3.

Not all ridges are due to peening.

G

·
burley said:
, but maybe if I 'hook' enfough customers for ya ... all those big $$$ I send your way ...

I did post over at ksccw about these , told them to come here (ktog) ;)

:)......Sweet! I have salesmen now wanting commissions!

JFB.......looks like your royalty checks will have to wait a bit longer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rat76, thanks for the tip. I`ll do as you recommend.
For those that are tired of hearing about peening, I also do not like the subject and wish is was not an issue.
Please be patient with us newbies and those that may be having that problem as it is a matter of concern.
I think everyone here knows deep down what it will take to make this issue go away forever.

G

·
ice said:
For those that are tired of hearing about peening, ...Please be patient with us newbies
Ice........hope you did not take my comment the wrong way.
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
...This peening issue is making me sick.
I think most active board members are only too happy to trade information and try to be helpful.

I am not sick of the discussion about peening. I am sick of peening continuing to be a problem. But I also think some are seeing a "problem" where this is not one.

But whatever any one says or does not say to you, please feel free to contribute to the

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is Monday, April 23rd, 2007.
I am planning on going to the range tomorrow to test the P3AT for function after doing a Rampectomy to see if the smileys are gone.
I took rat76 advice and closely inspected the slide and guide rod with a magnifying glass. Also checked for rough spots and burrs on the guide rod.
Guide rod was fine.
On close inspection I noticed that I could see half a coil of the inside spring viewed from the muzzle end with the naked eye. It has the guide rod pushed to one side. Also the GR hole is oblong.
This is after shooting only 90 rounds of standard velocity ammo through a new gun.
After range trip I will take some close up pictures then send the slide back to Kel Tec.
This guns serial # is JD9XX and it is definately peening.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.