Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello - I'm new to the forum so pardon the newbie question(s).

My new Kel Tech PF9 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll actually take possession of the gun tomorrow, but I hope so.

Obviously, much has been written about the Kel Tec PF9, so much so now that enough information on both sides of the [like - dislike] or [love - hate] fence that someone like myself has trouble figuring out what's true, implied truth, what to believe, what to not to believe. Some speak from their own experiences, others speak based on facts, perhaps unsubstantiated or not. Perhaps better said: mass confusion to new owners.

Since everyone is different and not everyone will have the same intended use(s) of Kel Tec PF9 and other firearms. It stands to reason there is still much that can be learned from those who have gone ahead and blazed the trail ahead of the new owners group. Usually, much time and money (ammo) can be saved provided that one can understand what information and who to believe as creditable.

So all that said... Is there a Top 10 [do's and don't] list for a new PF9 gun and owner that might avoid a particular issue(s) or perhaps enhance use, reliability and ownership? Much as been written regarding F/B but for example, would it be best to do that right out of the box brand new or running few rounds through beforehand to pick up on wear marks?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You bought it so you made most important decision already. When you get it take it home and clean, lube then go shoot it. So far most people say the Wal-Mart Federal red box ($20 per 100 rounds) work well for the range. Until you shoot it you will never know anything for sure about your PF9, you can read in here all day but you need to shoot it. You need to get at least 150 to 200 rounds through it to break it in. Come back and tell us how you feel after that and you can discuss anything that may not have gone right.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The best thing to do with a new PF-9 is to take it home and field strip the pistol. Thoroughly clean it (the gunk on and in it is preservative, not lubricant). Once the entire pistol is thoroughly cleaned, lubricate the pistol using a good quality grease (not oil, but grease, as oil just will not provide lasting lubrication during a shooting session). Lightly grease all critical points such as the frame and slide rails, the hammer interface (surface of the slide inside that rides over the hammer), hammer face, inside the front of the slide, the barrel, inside the barrel lug slot, and other friction (metal on metal) moving parts. Check out GoldenLoki's website for a good lubrication guide for Kel Tec pistols.

Pick up some quality brass cased ammo. Most have had good luck with such brands as PMC Bronze, Remington, and Federal. Avoid the cheap bulk ammo such as Winchester White Box as this is problematic for many PF-9s. Also strictly avoid non-brass cased (steel or aluminum). Using good ammo, run about 200 rounds of Full Metal Jacket ammo (standard pressure only) through the pistol. This will "mate" the friction parts (rails, etc).

If you have no problems at this point (most likely) then you can start trying some JHP self defense ammo that you will use. Many like Speer Gold Dots, but others like Hornady Critical Defense, and others work well also. Find one you like and which runs well in your PF-9. Run 30-40 rounds of this ammo, and if all goes well, then you are set to go.

If, on the other hand, you do have some sort of problem during break in (remember, a few failures to feed or extract during the first 50 rounds or so is not likely a problem, if they go away as the pistol wears in) but if FTExtracts continue, or feeding issues occur after the first box or two of ammo, then it may be time to look at some fluff and buff things that might help. This would include polishing the feed ramp, the chamber, and possibly working with the extractor. But save these things for and if they are needed.

You can also make the PF-9 a bit more comfortable to shoot by doing a little sanding of any rough edges or mould flash on the polymer grip if you like. A light sanding with some 400-600 grit sandpaper can take care of that.

If you have questions or issues after shooting in a bit, there is lots of advice and guidance available here on the Forum. Good luck and enjoy your new PF-9.

One more area I should mention. Shooting the PF-9 (and other ultra light high powered pocket pistols) is not like shooting a big, heavy service pistol. It really does require good technique and practice. You do need a firm (not a death grip, but firm) grasp of the grip. Hold high as your hand will fit comfortably on the grip. Be sure you keep a good, locked wrist (with a large, heavy pistol, the tendency is to absorb recoil in the wrist, by letting the wrist flex a bit-this is a "no-no" with an ultra light) and absorb recoil in the elbow and upper arm. This will keep from the so-called limp wrist effect and ensure you get the best out of your new PF-9.

Jim R

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Make double sure the frankenbolt is tight. A bit of locktite is the way to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think I Ninja'd you PF9Newbie.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good responses so far, not going to repeat them.

My recommendations for accessories are:

Buy the Hougue Handall Jr and the Northwood Trigger. Both of them make the gun feel so much better and helped me shoot it much more accurately.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd say to avoid ALOT of frustration, field strip, clean, do a minor FB ( take out the screw on the extractor spring and apply BLUE loctite, polish the CHAMBER in a back and forth motion with a scotchbrite pad,LUBE!!!) reassemble and go to the range. wish I would had done this and saved myself prolly $60-$80 in ammo. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Depending on the color be careful with sanding. Black and grey ok, tan, green, not ok if the gun is new. Keltec has started using cerakote on the grips and plastic under the color is white.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you do remove the extractor spring screw to loctite it, which I also HIGHLY recommend, make sure you don't tighten in down against the firing pin upon re-assembly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! JimR (PF9Newbie) and others who echoed the same.

Very solid advice indeed. I had previously read the [goldenloki] page prior to registering here and that was one of my main concerns as to whether or not should I go ahead and do a complete break down F/B right off the bat with a brand new gun or start the break in process first and then look for wear patterns.

I'll proceed with the initial cleaning and proper lubrication before heading to the testing grounds.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good responses so far, not going to repeat them.

My recommendations for accessories are:

Buy the Houge Handall Jr and the Northwood Trigger. Both of them make the gun feel so much better and helped me shoot it much more accurately.
I'll be ordering the Houge Jr. tomorrow and I've already checked out the Northwood Trigger too which I'd like to add soon (currently out of stock). But I also see the need to pick up a extra mag or two (rather quickly).

I'll be heading out tomorrrow to see what my local offerings might be in regards to ammo choices.

Is the Independence ammo brand worth trying?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Depending on the color be careful with sanding. Black and grey ok, tan, green, not ok if the gun is new. Keltec has started using cerakote on the grips and plastic under the color is white.
Thanks for letting me know that... As you can see, I got the park/green version.. I looked it over pretty good last night and there's a couple of ridges but overall nothing major.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Make double sure the frankenbolt is tight. A bit of locktite is the way to go.

I'd say to avoid ALOT of frustration, field strip, clean, do a minor FB ( take out the screw on the extractor spring and apply BLUE loctite, polish the CHAMBER in a back and forth motion with a scotchbrite pad,LUBE!!!) reassemble and go to the range. wish I would had done this and saved myself prolly $60-$80 in ammo. Enjoy!!

If you do remove the extractor spring screw to loctite it, which I also HIGHLY recommend, make sure you don't tighten in down against the firing pin upon re-assembly.
I'd had read earlier that a drop of blue loctite is very beneficial, seems very agreed upon and unanimous here as well. It's responses like these that keep us new guys from chasing our tails (well... at least a little less) and saving the unneccesary headache and loss of ammo from a loose/lost or overtightened screw trying to isolate an issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts