Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

New Kel-Tec P15

20K views 282 replies 57 participants last post by  silverback 
#1 ·
#3 ·
"Other significant KelTec pistol innovations included the new P50 pistol and the now retired PF9™ and
P11™ pistols, the P11 being first sub-compact, polymer, 9 mm handgun for concealed carry. Also
slated for retirement due to P15 innovation is the P3AT™."

#4 ·
If they're retiring the P3AT, I would almost bet money the P32 isn't going to be far behind. :( But if they came up with a micro-compact double-stack .32 ACP pistol to replace it - think LCP Max in .32 ACP - then I might be willing to accept it without (much) complaint.

BUT ... heyyyyy, sounds like Kel-Tec has FINALLY gotten their act together in coming out with a (possibly) worthy replacement for the P11. Why they chose to kill the P11 years before releasing the P15, however, is beyond me - I figure they could've gotten at least a bit more in sales out of it, especially during all of the election-inspired panic-buying last year and the year before (which happens pretty much every election cycle now).

Pics of said P15 would be nice, though. SHOT Show, I guess?

#7 ·
Might be hard to pocket carry with a 15 round extended magazine. I've been looking for a "light and thin" 9mm for pocket carry, but 15 rounds? If it's double stacked, then it's not the lightest and thinnest. Hopefully it will come with a choice of mags.

#8 ·
Yea I'm wondering too, and thinking "Lightest and Thinest of it's Kind" means lightest, thinest double stack? Surely there will be a flush fit mag but even still, that's not going in my pocket. I can't figure how a 15 rd double stack replaces the PF9, let alone the P3AT. Go figure...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app

Reactions: TheKuduKing
#13 ·
#14 ·
The renders from the TTAG post make it look like KT's response to the G19 or the Ruger Security 9. If so, it's (literally) decades too late. While it's impossible to tell for sure, it looks like it is way larger than the PF9 or the P11 so it will not be a viable micro-sub-compact replacement for the P11/PF9 and a competitor to the Sig P365 and the bevy of alternatives (Hellcat, GX4, MC2sc, DVG1, MAX-9, &tc.). If true, I think it's a big mistake.

I also don't see an optics cut on that render. Also, if true, another big mistake.

If this is what George Kelgren was talking about when he said they weren't bringing back a striker-fired P11 but something "much better," then I'm very very disappointed.

A Kel-Tec version of the G19 (with no optics cut)? Pass. :(

Maybe it's actually closer in size to the Sig P365XL or the Glock 43X? I know that those two are pretty much the only ones in their class and are both very popular. If that's the comparison then maybe KT is on to something. I hope so. But it still needs an optics cut.

But I just invested in a MC2sc so I'm still not the target market.

I do like the grip safety, however.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

#15 ·
I see little in that picture that appeals to me.

The grip texture looks overly aggressive, no optics cut, and the grip safety looks like an uncomfortable afterthought.
The overall lines of the design are uninspired, even for Kel-Tec.
The only possible upside I can see is it appears the rear half of the slide looks to be polymer and hopefully modular??? Maybe a user installable optics cut rear slide module will be made available in the future?

#17 ·
The SHOT Show starts in 4 days. I'm sure we'll see some interviews/video with more details. I'll be curious to see how the P15 replaces so many KT models. Having said that, my P11/40/357, PF9/22, and P3AT/32NAA ain't going nowhere.

#19 ·
As far as optics, it could be since this is supposed to be the "lightest & thinnest" of it's kind, there may not be any optics that fit it. And they like to keep the price point down. If optics do fit it, there might be a version down the road or optics ready slide sold as a part. That's what S&W has done, introduce without optics capability initially and offer it later.
I think they are purposely not putting out much on social media right now. They are introducing it at the SHOT Show next week and once that's over, they'll put it out. I see KT on Facebook and Instagram frequently. The email they sent out was just a heads up, without a lot of details to generate some buzz I suppose and to get folks at the SHOT Show to come check it out.

#20 ·
Well, it's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, that's for sure. Looks like the mutant offspring of a Walther PDP and a Kel-Tec P17 with the grip safety of a Springfield XDS and the magazine release of a Sig P365. The extended magazine baseplate, I'm assuming, is probably for the 15-round setup and, if so, I'm assuming there's a 10- or 12-round flush-fitting magazine, which would reduce the grip length and put it more in line with something like a Sig P365XL, which is a fairly small pistol. (Definitely smaller than a Glock 19, anyway.) With the extended baseplate shown, it's probably got the same dimensions as a Glock 48, which is the same length/height as a G19 but is as thin as a G43. I'm betting this was Kel-Tec's strategy here: "Lookie, folks! With the G48, you have to buy aftermarket magazines and swap the magazine release button in order to get 15 rounds in a gun that size, but ours comes with 15-rounders from the factory! Wheeeee!" (And hopefully its MSRP is less than the G48, so at least they might also have that going for them.)

Essentially, it seems pretty much aimed to compete with the G48 and P365XL. I won't go so far as to say it's useless, unwanted, or whatever else, but ... yeah. Kinda underwhelming. And as Kirk indicated, there is NO WAY that this "replaces" the P3AT in any way, shape, or form. Good luck trying to cram a G48 or P365XL sized pistol in a pocket as easily as a P3AT...

I dunno what the heck is going on with the back of the slide there. Almost looks like a .22 LR blowback setup, like the P17, unless it's just a polymer cover for an optics mount or something ... which is a really bizarre way of doing things, if that's the case. Being that it goes up to the back of the ejection port and stops is what makes me think it could be an optics mount, but again, it's weird that the piece goes all the way down and all the way to the back of the slide. Really weird. Maybe it has something to do with how the thing field-strips, which also would be a really bizarre way of doing things... :unsure:

Even from a photo, I can already tell the grip texture on the sides of the grip are stupid-excessive in aggressiveness - basically, little squares of M&P 2.0 style 60-grit sandpaper. Ugh. When are gun manufacturers going to learn that putting aggressive texture ON THE SIDES of the grip DOES NOT HELP because that's not where the majority of the shooter's grip force is applied with their hands? The front and back straps should get that sort of texture, a-la the Wilson Combat grip modules for the Sig P320. Putting it on the sides of the grip just makes it a cheese grater on skin and clothing. Easily fixable with a bit of sandpaper to dull the texture, but stupid that manufacturers keep doing this.

At least it FINALLY looks like Kel-Tec decided to start making the slide stop out of a machined part instead of a cheap, flimsy stamped-steel piece like they did with the P11 and PF9.

Anyway. Guess we'll all hafta wait for SHOT Show for more. It's sorta interesting, but also fairly disappointing.

#21 ·
love all the speculation… and no one’s even had a chance to shoot it. The ktog is my favorite corner of the internet for gun dude community.

Do you think at Keltec the design teams white board had a corner with Ktog rants heading listing all our hopes and dreams?

As cool as new keltec stuff is, I think the other message here is now it time to pick up that second P32 before they’re gone…I like my pf9 for carry compactness and have sentimental attachments as it was my first ccw gun, but it’s not a favorite to shoot. Won’t run out to find a second for my collection, P3AT was a cool design for it’s time but I’m good on .380. I just hope this new model runs and has no issues so the rest of the world will recognize Keltec is awesome.

#22 ·
As cool as new keltec stuff is, I think the other message here is now it time to pick up that second P32 before they’re gone…
From what I've seen, KT says they're discontinuing the PF9 and P3AT, not the P32. That leaves the P32 their only remaining pocket gun. With no competition from the P3AT, P32 sales will probably increase. I think it will stick around.

Reactions: Bear Claw
#25 ·
I'll definitely take a look at a P15, if one shows up at a local gun store. I've owned many of the company's center fire handguns (double digits I think), plus a Sub2k , and every single one of them has been affordable and RELIABLE. Based on what I've read around here, I've been a lot more reluctant to invest in a KT rimfire, shotgun or rifle caliber long gun...

#26 ·
I love my CMRs and my PMR. It does take a little extra care to keep them reliable, but, man, are they fun to shoot! It's just amazingly hard to make a super reliable rimfire semi-automatic (as Ruger and Remington will tell you) especially double stack, but Kel-tec has come the closest to doing it.

#28 ·
was doing some range time with my P11 and really disliking the long reset and again thinking of selling it to help pay for a different micro 9mm.... with aftermarket springs, everything else is good, but having to almost fully take my finger off the trigger to reset I do not like.
I'm OK with a grip safety on 1911's so...

#32 ·
One of the things I like about the P11 is the simplicity. There are a minimum of parts. Well, since it will function just fine without the ejector they could maybe have saved the ejector, pin & drilling step.

Also a broken off ejector tip can in rare instances lock up a slide. BTDT, PITA to get it apart.

On subject, my first impression of the P15 was that the grip looked like a cheese grater coated with 80 grit, ouch, & what is that thing sticking out of the back of the grip. Second thought was, "that barrel looks a bit long."

Maybe in person or with good photos it might look better. :unsure:

#34 ·
I saw the ad for their new gun.
I'm not opposed to trying it out and I'd give it a fair shake.
The grip safety is a meh from me.
Not excited about it, not turned off by it either though.

#35 ·
I really wish manufacturers would make their slides compatible with Glock sights, whenever possible. That makes finding and fitting the aiming system of your own choice easy and usually economical. If you call or email a sight manufacturer and ask them, "Do you have sights for my Keltec PXX?" they will generally respond with, "We MAY start making them if we get enough requests."

#38 · (Edited)
P15 - KelTec

OVERALL LENGTH
6.6in
168mm
Kel-Tec states elsewhere that the P15 is "7.4 inches long". Maybe the 6.6" figure is for the future "compact" version - or the 7.4" figure is for the future "long slide" version...
;>)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.