Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
41 - 60 of 253 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
I'm in the group of people that buy KelTecs for their innovative designs you can't get anywhere else, but I understand that they might want to make some "normal" guns for practical use. After all, they really were trend setters in the modern subcompact competition that is big today with many manufacturers and those guns realistically are Gaudio simple. Maybe that's why I just keep looking for a reason for this gun to exist? I haven't seen the MSRP anywhere, that could be a reason. But it seems like this idea has been done better and the price points are already competitive. Maybe they'll just try to steal some of the pie undercutting everyone else with the cheapest entry. Just as a personal preference I would never own anything with a grip safety, I've never liked how they feel in my hand.

· Registered
738 Posts
I hear what you're saying, but they still present an extra chance for something to break and render it useless, and it has happened. I won't have any firearm with a grip safety on it, don't even like any safety at all, really.
wouldn't that same concern apply to a pretty small and delicate safety blade in a trigger? A grip safety is a pretty robust item

· Registered
7,213 Posts
is that 5" height with the 12 rd mag or 15?
I think you got it figured out - the smaller measurement is likely for the flush-fitting 12-round mag.

Having an 0.87" width and only weighing 14 ounces IS significant for a double-stack 9mm. Potentially having a smaller version with a shorter slide/barrel also would be neat. Still don't see this as a "replacement" for the P3AT, but at least it's overall a step in the right direction, even if it's not totally groundbreaking, cutting-edge stuff. It's not bad at a glance, but ... I dunno.

Also, as far as safeties go, at least a grip safety is the least obtrusive option. It's sort of a passive safety mechanism, really, because you don't even have to consciously do anything to actuate it, other than holding/gripping the pistol. It's not like a frame- or slide-mounted safety lever you have to remember to deliberately click off, or even a trigger dongle (a-la Glock) that might prevent the trigger from working if you pull it at a funky angle (early Springfield Hellcats) or if you have gloves (it's happened with me with Glocks) or if you put your finger up too high on the trigger (M&P pistols with hinged triggers). Only other option would be to have a super-heavy, long double-action trigger pull like on the now-kaput Kel-Tec P11. Can't recall a time I've heard of a pistol malfunctioning because of a grip safety, either. I have, myself, once owned a cheap n' crappy 1911 (Metroarms American Classic) whose grip safety turned out to not be functional - you could drop the hammer without touching the grip safety - until I did a bit of filing on the top of the mainspring housing that was preventing it from its full outward travel. But at least in that case, it didn't prevent the gun from firing, and the manual safety lever also prevented the trigger from being pulled, so it wasn't SUPER unsafe, and again, I fixed it pretty easily.

Personally, I'd say my biggest gripe with the P15 right off the bat is the grip texture, but again, that's an easy fix. Just don't see the P15 replacing my Hellcat or my old P11 anytime soon, though.

· Registered
7,213 Posts
Yup. A competitor to the Sig P365XL and the Glock 43X.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)
With the longer barrel/slide, I'd put it more in line with the G48 rather than the G43X - grip length/capacity and all other dimensions are the same between the 43X and 48. Again, a 15-round capacity right outta the box with a thin package the size of a G48 does put it ahead of Glock. Sure, you can poke in a metal magazine release button and Shield Arms S15 Gen2 mags and have 15-round capacity in the G48, but not everyone's willing to do that ... including me, honestly, because the Gen1 S15 mags I have don't drop free and have been VERY problematic (even just as range time accessories). So basically, the P15 has G19 capacity/barrel length from an approximately P365XL-sized package, and (presumably ... and eventually) with factory fiber-optic sights and at a lower price point. Okay, so at least they do have those positives going for it. Main questions, of course, are going to be: 1. Is it actually reliable in Gen1 form, or is it going to have a lot of growing pains and/or require the usual "fluff and buff" stuff before it runs right? 2. What's the ACTUAL retail price going to wind up being? 3. How much will the aftermarket embrace this new model and support it with holsters, sights, and so on? 4. Will my department add it to its approved pistol list? (BWAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaahahaaaaaa ... ohhh, I crack myself up. That'll NEVER happen... :p )

· Registered
916 Posts
Funny that they called it a P15 and claim it's a 15+1 round gun. It's actually a 12+1 round gun that also comes with a 15rd. extended magazine. I have no interest in this other than knowing it's true dimensions. The specs on the Kel-Tec website says 6.6in. overall length, but the description says it's 7.4 inches long. I'm guessing the height is with the 12rd. flush fit magazine.

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
With the longer barrel/slide, I'd put it more in line with the G48 rather than the G43X - grip length/capacity and all other dimensions are the same between the 43X and 48.
Umm.... what? KT lists 6.6" Over all length (apparently for a shorter slide version). The P365XL length is exactly the same, 6.6" and the G43X is 6.5". Basically, identical OAL.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Registered
387 Posts
so you're saying the 30SC needs to be in a gun built to handle 9mm and more stress?
S&W released a 9EZ modified for 30SC, so clearly they thought it was safe enough. Their release of Shield Plus in 30SC is delayed, but I don't think it's because of safety concerns. So guns at least that big work okay, with a proper metallurgy.

· Registered
2,194 Posts
I can finally answer some questions since it's finally released. Above is the ALL METAL P15. even the rear slide cover is aluminum. replaceable side panels and all the other features of the base model P15.

One unique feature is a 4 position safety setting that is internal to the gun (remove slide to adjust). This allows you to activate/deactivate the Grip safety, or internal mag safety, or both. This way you can setup the safeties to your preference or legality.... in case you can't stand grip safeties or something. disabling it will keep it pulled into the grip.

Mag catch is swap-able left or right side.
Loaded chamber indicator top of slide.

The rear slide cover can be swapped out for an optics mount cover (aluminum). the base model cover is polymer.

41 - 60 of 253 Posts