Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
201 - 220 of 233 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
What price? :unsure:
Interesting that when I check the two links today there is no longer prices shown. Wish I had done a screen shot showing the prices as I can't remember what they were. Wonder if they jumped the gun by posting them and were told to take them down.
You can still search by the UPC and get links to places which list prices. Still falling in about the same range as listed earlier. Aluminum frame version is "~$550-650" and the poly is "$320-350"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Tree-fiddy or less for the poly version ain't bad at all. Six-fiddy for the aluminum is ... well ... not outlandish, but still seems a bit steep to my cheapskate tastes. Other than being able to swap out grip panels, and other purely aesthetic reasons, I'm not really sure I see the appeal of the aluminum-frame version (much like the hoopla over the all-metal M&P that came out recently), but that's just me.

If they prove to be reliable, I might wind up with a poly one, myself, at some point just for giggles, since I've already got some P11 mags floatin' around.

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
Tree-fiddy or less for the poly version ain't bad at all.
It makes it less than a G-LOCK and about the same price as the G-LOCK clones. It has more features than the clones and still uses the P11/S&W Mod 59 magazines while competing in the same space as the P365XL or Glock 43X (or the others in this class).

Six-fiddy for the aluminum is ... well ... not outlandish, but still seems a bit steep to my cheapskate tastes. Other than being able to swap out grip panels, and other purely aesthetic reasons, I'm not really sure I see the appeal of the aluminum-frame version (much like the hoopla over the all-metal M&P that came out recently), but that's just me.

If they prove to be reliable, I might wind up with a poly one, myself, at some point just for giggles, since I've already got some P11 mags floatin' around.
I've heard that the greater mass will soak up recoil but I've also heard that the polymer frames flex more which soaks up more recoil. Whatever. For me, it's aesthetics for sure. The aluminum frame version definitely has a Hi Power vibe that I dig.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
725 Posts
I had a chance to hold both versions(but not shoot) and really liked the aluminum one over the poly one, both in looks and how it felt in my hand. "If" the prices hold and they turn out to be reliable, I plan to go with the aluminum one. But I hope i can test fire both at some point (yea, and pigs may fly out of my but some day too)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Like all of you i have been looking at these and comparing them to others coming out.
If they ever get to market they appear to be just like the p17.

Offering the most bang for the buck. Fibet optic night sights, 15 rounds slim and light weight out of the box.
I have shot the sccy and p11. heck even the 9mm lcr. All were very snappy and recoil unpleasant. Follow up shots slower and you have to really concentrate and practice alot to get and stay accurate.

I think the polymer version will be just as difficult as those guns to shoot.

Personally i think the aluminum version with its added weight will be my choice.
I ccw a p80 glock 17 at 3 to 4 oclock when wearing jeans. Holster is everything for iwb. I carry on the side as my muffin top makes it uncomfortable to appendix carry.

I hope we see them on the market this year. Cant wait to give one a try.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yep disappointed. I have gone to considerate on my glocks now. I picked up an advantage arms 22lr conversion kit for my poly80 17 build.

I am so heavily invested in my glocks.

The p15 will have to show me something really special for me to make the switch.

Sure is sad that they haven't been able to bring it to market.

I do like the metal version but since the polymer one still hasnt come out i think the metal version may be years off.

You think they would be giving heads up on issues or progress.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
According to Chad Enos over on the Facebook kel-tec owners group, the P15 starts shipping on Monday.
Ahhh, but which Monday is the question. ;)

Seriously KT's slowness with rolling out new products has worked well for me. It lets me get over the excitement & think things thru. In the case of the P17 it stalled long enough for the price of ammo to go up & for me to get into reloading. Rimfire is not on my priority list.

In the case of the P15 I had enough time to realize that an improved P11 is not something that I need or want, I've already got a S&W that's about the same size & weight with a sweet SA trigger.

If they had made the P15 10-15 years ago that's another story.

Reactions: RobzKT

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ahhh, but which Monday is the question. ;)

Seriously KT's slowness with rolling out new products has worked well for me. It lets me get over the excitement & think things thru. In the case of the P17 it stalled long enough for the price of ammo to go up & for me to get into reloading. Rimfire is not on my priority list.

In the case of the P15 I had enough time to realize that an improved P11 is not something that I need or want, I've already got a S&W that's about the same size & weight with a sweet SA trigger.

If they had made the P15 10-15 years ago that's another story.
I couldn't care less about the P15, so I don't care if it ever gets released. I'm just passing on what the man from Kel Tec said. Do with it as you will.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
As heavily invested in my glocks as i am. I still remain interested in seeing what the aluminium version will offer.
If and when it comes out and it proves itself reliable and durable than i would still consider it. A carry weapon with 15 rounds on board slimmer and lighter than a glock would be nice.
I think that comsideration would still be several years out. As we all know with kel tecs it seems better to wait to see what bugs need to be worked out.
Glocks have proven themselves in the field to be uber reliable. They are after all the standard that most striker fired pistols have worked so hard to meet and exceed. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
725 Posts
checked with the factory about possible date for the aluminum frame P15 and was told by the tech he had seen the frames in house so he thought they would be released "soon". I'd think other than the frames and grip panels, other components would be identical so actually having frames in house would be a good sign

·
Registered
42 Posts
At this point the only reason I would consider the P15 over other guns is price of magazines and brand loyalty. The P365 series has a customization advantage (alongside a class leading 17+1 magazine), the S&W Equalizer had a multitude of grips to accommodate how concealable or amount of grip you want, and the Hellcat/Pro series also exists as an alternative.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's frankengun-looking, which appeals to some, but a turn-off for others. The hybrid slide and allen screws in the frame are not particularly appealing to the discriminating customer.

Since the market is still fairly hot, the P15 will sell for Kel-Tec. Low price is frankly it's main selling point, and even at MSRP (which most KT seem to sell for) it's $100-150 less expensive than similar better-appearing guns (although the latter have established track records). But when you can find a S&W Shield Plus for $450.... the P15 is a hard sell.

Updating the PF9 and correcting it's few faults would have been a better idea IMHO, and maintained it's unique niche. So would have double-stacking the P3AT been a better idea than just ditching it with no replacement. The P15 is just another double stack mini-9 in a crowded field.

201 - 220 of 233 Posts