Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
The renders from the TTAG post make it look like KT's response to the G19 or the Ruger Security 9. If so, it's (literally) decades too late. While it's impossible to tell for sure, it looks like it is way larger than the PF9 or the P11 so it will not be a viable micro-sub-compact replacement for the P11/PF9 and a competitor to the Sig P365 and the bevy of alternatives (Hellcat, GX4, MC2sc, DVG1, MAX-9, &tc.). If true, I think it's a big mistake.

I also don't see an optics cut on that render. Also, if true, another big mistake.

If this is what George Kelgren was talking about when he said they weren't bringing back a striker-fired P11 but something "much better," then I'm very very disappointed.

A Kel-Tec version of the G19 (with no optics cut)? Pass. :(

Maybe it's actually closer in size to the Sig P365XL or the Glock 43X? I know that those two are pretty much the only ones in their class and are both very popular. If that's the comparison then maybe KT is on to something. I hope so. But it still needs an optics cut.

But I just invested in a MC2sc so I'm still not the target market.

I do like the grip safety, however.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Quite obviously not, but it IS one more thing that can go wrong with the firearm. Overengineering.
Grip safeties on handguns have been around since the lemon squeezer and haven't caused any major problems. They are still a feature on many guns yet today, from the XD to the venerable 1911, and if it were such a big problem they would have gone away by now. Grip safety is a technology that has a 150-year-old track record of success.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
With the longer barrel/slide, I'd put it more in line with the G48 rather than the G43X - grip length/capacity and all other dimensions are the same between the 43X and 48.
Umm.... what? KT lists 6.6" Over all length (apparently for a shorter slide version). The P365XL length is exactly the same, 6.6" and the G43X is 6.5". Basically, identical OAL.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
MSRP of $425 for polymer and the aluminum-framed version at ... $795?!? Sheesh! That's a bit of a markup just for having a metal frame. Aside from looking nicer and not having that sandpaper grip texture, I'm not sure I see what the big advantage would be to the aluminum-framed version, except maybe existing just for those grumpy folks who are all "I won't never carry me one-a them thar Tupperware plastic guns!" Certainly not enough of an advantage to make it worth paying nearly twice the price.

Anyway. With an MSRP of $425 for the polymer, that's actually puts it at a pretty good price point, well below other guns in the same size class. Closest thing I think would be the Ruger Max 9, and I've seen those going for something like $450 to $499, last I recall. Having tritium sights right outta the box also is a pretty huge bonus, especially at that price point.
I still say it's not competing against the MAX 9, Hellcat, etc., instead, I think it's competing against the P365XL and the G43X with the Shield Arms 15-round mags.

Okay, so now the next lingering question: DOES IT WORK?
Agreed.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Has any video confirmed that? That is one of the bugaboos of all the other micro9s (hellcat, Shield Plus, 365) is the mags aren't cross compatible and are expensive. Given the weight, size, but decent sized barrel and sight radius this would be a good woods gun for backpacking where you want to stay concealed. I tried out the 4" barrel Shield Plus at the LGS and its just a bit too big. I was looking at the PSA Dagger for similar duty because it has the Gen 3 compatibility, but this has a lot going for it.
I use a S&W 59 mag in my P11 all the time. It has exactly the same catch notch and profile as the P11 mags, only longer. If the flush fit P11 mags fit flush and work in the P15, then there is no doubt in my mind that the S&W 59 mags will work too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Wasn't it the S&W Series 69 mags that were the 12-rounders that also fit the P11? They were a tad longer than the flush-fit KT 12-rounders, but not as long as the Series 59 mags.
Yes. I accidentally bought a 69 mag. Sent it back for the 59.

Or maybe they just reused the 12-round flush-fit P11 magazines and added a +3 baseplate adapter for the 15-rounders...? :unsure:
I think so. I re-read the press blurb. It's the +3 extension that is "patent pending."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Just got this fixed on the site..... 6.6" is the correct length. Not sure how the incorrect length got in there.
Yup. Like I thought; a direct competitor to the P365XL and the G43X with Shield Arms mags.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I’m most excited to see Keltec do a metal frame pistol. The departure from polymer is a pretty big deal. Now being a new product, I’d like to see how far along these pistols have been refined prior to release. Watched some Shot show coverage and Chad was pretty vague when asked direct questions and had lots of disclaimers… I’ll be impressed if we see a metal frame pistol funtioning in the wild before ‘23 and it has minimal issues.
In one video, he stated that they'd already done some low-volume production runs.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Just in case anyone wonders, I have messaged 2 or 3 corporate admins and posted in the Admin Forum asking for the new P15 board. No hint of a response, as of yet.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app
We often get the same response times from the Evil Overlords over on HPFF.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Thank god no "optic cut" or "threaded muzzle".... at least they got that right.
It does have an optics "cut." The rear sight is a shroud that can be removed and various plates used for whatever optic you choose.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
I called KelTec the other day to get the date of manufacturing for my P11, while I had them on the phone I asked if they knew when the P15 would be shipping, I was told they should be shipping out in June.
I got tired of waiting for KT to put out the replacement for the P11 that George hinted in his interview. The P11 was officially discontinued but KT didn't have a replacement yet. This was a mistake.

Because, for many reasons, I want my carry gun to be a currently "in production" model, I started shopping around. I waited a long time for KT to come out with the replacement for the P11 but after more than a year, they still hadn't. I got tired of waiting and bought the Mossberg MC2sc with a RD. I like it.

I think I would have really liked the P15 but KT canceled the P11 too soon or waited too long for the P15.

I really feel like they screwed the pooch on the timing sequence of their product churn. Frankly, I really feel like they screwed the pooch on how long it took them to come out with something like the P15. Loyal KT fans had been asking KT to re-release the P11 as a striker-fired version for 20 years, or at least release it with the PF9 trigger. It's not like it's all that impossible, as Ruger proved with their various LC9 versions.

I like Kel Tec. I own a P11, PF9, P32, Sub2K (Gen 1), and a P17. I want to be a KT fan. But daaaang... sometimes they make it hard. Well, at least the P17 works great and hit the market at nearly the right time. The P15 missed the boat by either 5 years (Sig P365) or 3 years (Sig P365XL) depending on where you believe the P15 fits in the market.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Has the factory indicated when they expect to start shipping the P15 in respectable quantities?
Rumor has it scheduled for 2052 or right after we finally get a stable, true power-positive, nuclear fusion power plant, which ever comes last.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
spoke with Keltec yesterday and the aluminum frame model does not have a release date at this time. I think they are going to be trying to sell into a pretty saturated market having missed the great covid frenzy opportunity....
I know that I got tired of waiting for them to replace the discontinued P11 with whatever they were going to (ended up being the P15). I ended up buying the Mossberg but it could have just as easily been any of the competitors ranging from the Sig P365 down to the SCCY DVG1. I can't believe that I'm the only one which KT has missed out selling to.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
FWIW through some searching, i found the following UPC #s for the P15
  • P15 Black Polymer - UPC 640832008777
  • P15 Black Metal - UPC 640832008784
No one has it in stock yet, but it looks like the pre-sale posted prices are running $320-350 for the all-polymer and ~$550-650 for the metal. Those are just posted prices, so take that with a large rock of salt.
When you say "pre-sale price" do you mean that's the Dealer/wholesale price?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
The fact that they are takung so long does concern me. Are their performances issues we need to now about?
It doesn't concern me at all. It's par for the course for Kel Tec.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
What price? :unsure:
Interesting that when I check the two links today there is no longer prices shown. Wish I had done a screen shot showing the prices as I can't remember what they were. Wonder if they jumped the gun by posting them and were told to take them down.
You can still search by the UPC and get links to places which list prices. Still falling in about the same range as listed earlier. Aluminum frame version is "~$550-650" and the poly is "$320-350"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Tree-fiddy or less for the poly version ain't bad at all.
It makes it less than a G-LOCK and about the same price as the G-LOCK clones. It has more features than the clones and still uses the P11/S&W Mod 59 magazines while competing in the same space as the P365XL or Glock 43X (or the others in this class).

Six-fiddy for the aluminum is ... well ... not outlandish, but still seems a bit steep to my cheapskate tastes. Other than being able to swap out grip panels, and other purely aesthetic reasons, I'm not really sure I see the appeal of the aluminum-frame version (much like the hoopla over the all-metal M&P that came out recently), but that's just me.

If they prove to be reliable, I might wind up with a poly one, myself, at some point just for giggles, since I've already got some P11 mags floatin' around.
I've heard that the greater mass will soak up recoil but I've also heard that the polymer frames flex more which soaks up more recoil. Whatever. For me, it's aesthetics for sure. The aluminum frame version definitely has a Hi Power vibe that I dig.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts