Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, I bought a PMR-30 at the local gun store on a whim.

I am putting together a variety of ammunition for the initial range session. I have CCI 30gr. V-Max, Hornady Critical Defense 45gr.FTX, and some old Winchester Super-X 'Super Speed' 40gr. JHP.

I read that the Armscor 40gr. JHP nickel case ammunition is ' ***NOT FOR USE IN KEL-TEC PMR 30***'. Is there any other ammunition that I should not try?

Thanks,
mbogo

·
Registered
86 Posts
The other day, I bought a PMR-30 at the local gun store on a whim.

I am putting together a variety of ammunition for the initial range session. I have CCI 30gr. V-Max, Hornady Critical Defense 45gr.FTX, and some old Winchester Super-X 'Super Speed' 40gr. JHP.

I read that the Armscor 40gr. JHP nickel case ammunition is ' ***NOT FOR USE IN KEL-TEC PMR 30***'. Is there any other ammunition that I should not try?

Thanks,
mbogo
I shoot anything through my PMR-30 from Armscor to Hornady V-Max it loves what ever you put in it, BUT

It's been back to keltec twice. It's a very smooth shooting machine.

I just bought a CMR-30 and figure it will take some redoing to make it a good shooter also.

Not trying to be Neg Nancy but keltec's are not for Prime Time out of the box but you can get there with a little TLC.

I have all of mine shooting great!!!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Stay away from the lighter (30gr) loads.
Mine shoots them OK. But has failed more often with them. Also mine has become more reliable/smoother the more I shoot it. My magazines are easy to load to thirty now. I recommend storing them loaded to help speed break in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran out to the range today to test the new PMR-30. I had no failures to feed or eject.

Results with ten rounds of the old Winchester Super Speed 40gr. JHP load:

The high flyer was due to my unintentional double-tapping.

Results with ten rounds of the Hornady .30gr. V-Max:

Not bad for the first range session.

I forgot the Hornady Critical Defense 45gr. FTX on the counter at home, but will try it out next time.

mbogo

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Stay away from the lighter (30gr) loads.
Mine shoots them OK. But has failed more often with them. Also mine has become more reliable/smoother the more I shoot it. My magazines are easy to load to thirty now. I recommend storing them loaded to help speed break in.
Funny the Hornady 30gr VMAX are my favorite!!! That is a mean round and they work great even with the Burris Fastfire III on the slide.

I tested them on soft body armor and they punch right through when the armor stops the bigger 9mm and .45 bullets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had just asked something like this on the CMR section for the one I will get tomorrow. I will end up with a PMR too and ill test it out the same. What else does it say to stay away from in the manual? I put a list of 10 different kinds I was looking at.

·
Registered
705 Posts
My one is Hornady critical defense. It is designed as handgun ammo. Number two is Hornady VMAX. Never had any issue of any kind with CD.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My one is Hornady critical defense. It is designed as handgun ammo. Number two is Hornady VMAX. Never had any issue of any kind with CD.
Yea I like the Vmax loads...

I need to try to Chrono them with my Labradar and get some data. I can do some with the PMR-30 and then with the CMR-30 and see what the difference would be with the different barrel lengths.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought the pmr and was wondering if anyone ever ran into this problem. First two clips shot fine. Fast as you could pull the trigger, it would shot em. Diffrent day the third clip ever put through it started hanging up a couple times. Fourth clip ever shot through it the second round hung up. Looked like a issue with the clip i was thinking. Then the 6 round got hung up. Thought maybe ot was that particular clip. Swapped them out put about 19 rounds through it, then bam! The dam thing blew up in my face. And accually caught the whole thing on two diffrent angles. One being from my pov. Does this happen alot? The correcet ammo was used. The casing wasn't ruptured or dammaged. I just dont know what happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought the pmr and was wondering if anyone ever ran into this problem. First two clips shot fine. Fast as you could pull the trigger, it would shot em. Diffrent day the third clip ever put through it started hanging up a couple times. Fourth clip ever shot through it the second round hung up. Looked like a issue with the clip i was thinking. Then the 6 round got hung up. Thought maybe ot was that particular clip. Swapped them out put about 19 rounds through it, then bam! The dam thing blew up in my face. And accually caught the whole thing on two diffrent angles. One being from my pov. Does this happen alot? The correcet ammo was used. The casing wasn't ruptured or dammaged. I just dont know what happen.

Holy cow! :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.