New Kel-tec owner.. few questions please help.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ReiGnMaN, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ReiGnMaN

ReiGnMaN New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Okay so I have seen people with belt clips on a keltec and did some research.. mine appears to be a first gen. Can you use a belt clip on the first gen? If so, who makes them?

Spare / extra mags, any "hot spots" to get a few?

Im really excited to issue this to my g/f as her new EDC weapon. She normally carries her xdsc9 however the kel tec is in a league of it's own in EDC capability and comfort..

Lastly, while loading some Magtech jhp's I notice it actually was trying to fail to feed even when manually racking the slide... Should I polish the feed ramp a bit or burn through some ammo? Im thinking the "power ball" jhp's would be best for this gun considering that issue...

Thanks for any help Keltec Guru's! ;)

2. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Welcome to Ktog....

1. I know for a fact that you can put a belt clip on the 1G, whether or not it's the same as the 2G I cannot guarantee 100%, but I believe they use the same clip.

2. I've had the best luck with extra mags just shopping around the local gun stores around here.

3. If the gun is brand new, try to put more than 200 rounds of a ball shaped FMJ through it, and lube it well to break it in. Shoot, clean, shoot, clean...it'll get smoother with time. Mine did the same thing when brand new.

3. ReiGnMaN

ReiGnMaN New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    thanks for the response z28! any tips on lube type?

Watcha got in that z-28? I build engines for a living, always wondering whos taking business from me ;D

4. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I don't recommend carrying it without a holster. Remember there is no safety. If the trigger is pulled accidentally it will go bang. That is what happened to Plexico Burress. A Glock is also a D/A only firearm. I use a holster that protects the trigger from being bumped or pulled. The gun shop owner tried to sell me a clip when I purchased my P3AT. He was demonstrating it to me when he dropped the gun down his pants! I told him "no thanks". You can do what you want, but those clips are worthless to me.

Craig

5. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    It is normal for the slide to rack hard manually. It will get easier with use.

Craig

6. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I just use 15w-40 chevron for lube, nothing fancy....

The car had a 468" bbc in my avatar, a 632 is on order for after the new year...

7. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    yes you can,,, belt clip is great,,,, go for it.

8. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I find that with my P3AT, and my wife's P32, if you ride the slide forward even the slightest bit, it will not go into battery. A bump on the back of the slide does the trick. The solution is to rack the slide and allow your hand to continue off the gun to the rear.

Edited to add: It could also be that your gun still needs to be broken in. I would suggest watching your technique, and shoot it some more (if you can find .380 ammo, that is).

9. ReiGnMaN

ReiGnMaN New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    awesome.. Thanks for the help guys!

10. fwm

fwm New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    NW MO
    I would go ahead and do the F&B. Saves 200 'break in' rounds. You can then use them for practice in well working gun.

11. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I second the "clip is a dangerous way to go" thinking. Carry it in a pocket holster that protects the trigger. This is my favorite (www.pocketholsters.com). I carry mine in my right front pocket.

Fluff & Buff then shoot a 100 rounds or so and light lube, don't over oil the beast it will smooth out. Mine loads hollow points without a problem.