Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using fifty 90 grain S&W rounds, and ten 80 grain corbon's.

No limpwrist, held firmly... with the first 50 s&w rounds the gun didn't eject twice and jammed when loading a round once. With the corbon's the gun failed to eject twice.

Is there something I am missing?

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Re: New Kel-Tec owner, 5 jams in the first 60 roun

Hi, tekno! Welcome to KtOg! Possible causes:

Make sure your button head screw is tight.

The P3AT Is very different than any other gun you may have shot, because it is very light and the .380 in this light piece is robust.

The grip may bite your hand, but a little sanding and/or a tube or hogue grip will cure that.

There WAS once a problem with dull extractors. After removing the slide, look up at the extractor tip. It should be VERY sharp and pointy. If it is dull, then you need to call KT service at 1-800-515-9983 and request the new sharp extractor.

Limp wristing tips:

It is nearly impossible to limp wrist this gun from a very firm, push-pull grip:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

Single hand grip:

1. Line up on target.
2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you are using one of these grips, and you get malfunctions, it is NOT limp wristing, but the gun that is causing them.

Packer.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Did you lube/grease it before firing?

tekno said:
Using fifty 90 grain S&W rounds, and ten 80 grain corbon's.

No limpwrist, held firmly... with the first 50 s&w rounds the gun didn't eject twice and jammed when loading a round once. With the corbon's the gun failed to eject twice.

Is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the info. I am going to clean it up, and take it back out for another 100 more rounds. I am going to pay closer attention to my grip per your instructions.

The gun ejector looked sharp, and I am going to tighten down the allen screw holding it in place.

Thanks again, I will report back with resuts.

·
Registered
4 Posts

tekno said:
I did lube it before... I am going to take it back out to see what happens, paying more attention to my grip.

Good plan. I went out last weekend with mine for the first time. One smokestack jam and one FTE in 50 rounds. I think I limpwristed both. I really expected the recoil or something to be uncomfortable about shooting this gun. I have large hands and expected to have trouble holding it. No sore spots, no biting. I think I got complacent and limpwristed a couple times. I really like shooting this little guy.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Pay real close attention to the button head screw and make sure it is nice and tight.

I mark the button head and the frame to see if it has moved at all while firing.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts

tekno said:
... I am going to tighten down the allen screw ....
The allen is 5/64th but a 2mm works better.  becareful how hard you tighten.  If it is loose, it will turn with finger pressure on an "L" wrench.  when it stops it is tight, any more is yeilding the threads and the allen fit (about 10 inch-lbs)  To keep it from backing out again, a thread sealant should be used.  Backing the allen more than one turn out may let the firing pin fly.

When clean and lubing, don't forget the magazine. I'd remove the follower and throughly clean it and the inside where it slides

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

tekno said:
Thanks for the info. I am going to clean it up, and take it back out for another 100 more rounds. I am going to pay closer attention to my grip per your instructions.

The gun ejector looked sharp, and I am going to tighten down the allen screw holding it in place.

Thanks again, I will report back with resuts.
SOme people get flawless ones out of the box, some don't. But almost any part you need can be sent to you for free and installed by your average mechanically inclined person.

My gun had trouble at first. I polished the feed ramp, had KT send me a new ejector and buttonhead screw (which I used a little Loctite on), added a Bersa finger extension, and some Wolff 13 lb recoil springs. After doing that, my gun is flawless as far as failures go. I just did a test a few weeks ago, shooting 200 rounds within about 45 minutes with the help of a friend. Not once did I stop to clean it or anything and I only had one real failure, which was due to limp wristing.

You don't always get a perfect one out of the box, but if you take the time to learn about it and tweak it here and there.... you'll love the gun not only because it is reliable and fun to shoot, but because you helped to get it that way. I love mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I had the same problems tekno, but I cleaned it and I've shot 200 more rounds. It's getting better the failures and going down.

It just needs like 500 rounds of break in and cleaning. Try that first and then go from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.