New idea on trigger

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by risabee, Oct 27, 2007.

1. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I was beginning to despair of my accuracy with P3AT; had BF watch me closely and he said it was the length of the trigger pull and that I was not really limpwristing. Also I had a habit in more rapid-fire practice of developing a failure to feed when I had not let the trigger come all the way back to its resting point.

I looked at some of the solutions here and elsewhere for trigger stop and despaired even more; I'm not much for drilling holes and/or shaping wet, sticky plastic blobs into pretty stops. I even have trouble, after all these years, painting my own nails (see gender marker @ left).

So I gave this a lot of thought and went looking for my old stethoscope; pulled the rubber tubing from the steel tubing and snipped off about 5/8 inch and stuck it back together. You can't even tell any is missing!

This is fairly high class surgical tubing, black neoprene on the outside and coated with a layer of silicone gel on the inside. I'm not sure why they made it that way; maybe it resists kinking when you listen with it in unorthodox positions, or it improves pressure response for carrying sound to the ear pieces? Any way, I slipped it onto the trigger and the gel holds it in place with no rolling when the finger squeezes the trigger. It's MUCH more comfortable to hold, stings MUCH less when the round is fired, and BOTH of the problems, for whatever reason, seem to have gone away.

I don't know that this trigger "boot" really counts as a trigger stop, but as it seems to have saved what had been a deteriorating relationship (with Galloping Gertie, not BF :D), I offer it here for your consideration.

Does anyone know why this would NOT be a good idea? Thanks!

reebles

[​IMG]

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It has been done before with surgical tubing.  I see no problem with it, so long  as it's thickness still allows the trigger to be pulled back far enough to fire the gun.  If the thickness were just right, it may also act as a trigger over-travel stop.  Hopefully, it stays in place and is not so wide that it hangs outside of the trigger guard which could pose a snag hazard (AD) when holstering.  Probably it is just fine.  After thoroughly testing, you might reapply it using a bit of adhesive on the trigger to make sure it stays put.  :cool:

3. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Thank you. I think I was really lucky in my first choice of tubing size. It seems to help with trigger travel in both directions, and doesn't snag, and relieves quite a lot of the sting I was experiencing. My accuracy is WAY up, and with that, my confidence. :cool: Will see about the adhesive, though I'm experience no torsion of the tubing at all -- do you know of anything I should avoid -- are there kinds that would eat the gel, for example? :-?