New Hogue Grip?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Curt32, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Just read article in the July 08 issue of Guns & Ammo article on the Ruger LCP. It said that Hogue was working on a new grip for it, see page 46 just wondering because the dimensions are suppose to so close do you think it would fit the P3AT? I was going to buy a Hogue Handall Jr. for it but you have to modify it by cutting it and either gluing or warping as was suggested bicycle inner tube around the grip first. So if it would fit the Kel-Tec it would be perfect with little or no modification, just can't understand with the popularity of the P3AT why they didn't make one especially for it.

Tom j.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Other than their slip-on grips, Hogue grips are custom fit to a particular gun.  The LCP grip is probably different enough with the little thumb groove, etc, that a custom grip for it probably won't be a good fit on a P3AT.  You'll have to wait and see.  :-/

To me, the Hogue Handall Jr is too loose on a P3AT.  IMO, Sprinter's grips and pads are about the best thing going.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1197321076

3. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Hi Tx well that's why I was hesitant to get the Jr's the loose fit but what I really like about the Hogue is the palm swell got one on my PF9 and just love it. Are you suggesting putting the Sprinter grip pads on first then the Hogue grip? I really want something with that palm swell because of the thin grip on the P3AT and my somewhat large hands.

Tom j.

4. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    If I wanted to put a Hogue Handall Jr on a P3AT, I'd probably just make and install a bike tube grip on it first, then install the Hogue. That should make it fit.

http://www.ktrange.com/articles/a7/a7.html

5. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    The Handall JR. is junk. I had it on my P3AT for all of about 5 minutes before I ripped it off and threw it away. I highly doubt that a new Hogue grip designed for the Ruger would fit our grips. They are completely different in their shape.

6. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007

Just wrote Hogue and asked if they would consider making a grip for the wildly popular P3AT well we'll see what they say I'll post it here. I have seen pictures of the jr on the P3AT that was modified that looked pretty good, might have to use the inner tube trick Tx recommended, really like that palm swell on a skinny grip.

Tom j.

7. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    I too appreciate the palm swell, as well as the finger gooves in the Hogue Jr. Most folks install it upside-down to get the swell to fit the palm correctly. Various ways of making it fit on the P3AT. I've seen guys use everything from hair spray to inner tube. I used the more dramatic silicone cement approach (melts the grip plastic - sticks great).
    [​IMG]

8. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Yep like I said looks GREAT when modified, seeing believing! ;)

Tom j.

9. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
  10. GMax

GMax New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    P3-AT's are designed to be carried, ergo I opt to use the Hogue Jr. because of the superior control it provides when shooting quickly/defensively.

11. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008

Curt32,
    His sites are just painted with testors fluorescent paint. I did the same thing and ended up painting the rear site the same color as the front due to visibility issues with the green. The green really doesn't show up that well unless the lighting is just right. The testors fluorescent paint only comes in a package of 8 with numerous other fluorescent colors. Good luck finding it though because testors stopped making it. I had a time finding the package and lucked out finding it at a local craft store. It turned out though I could have saved myself some money by just using the fluorescent red for both front and rear sites. You can buy the fluorescent red by itself! I ended up drilling 3 holes in my slide to sort of pack the paint into the holes. The holes were drilled where the paint dots would be if you painted them. This way I don't have to be concerned about the paint ever coming off during cleaning. It worked out real well because the paint is actually recessed below the surface of the metal and I was able to make it pretty thick because of the depth of the holes.

I tried the nightsiters and really didn't care for them for daylight shooting. Visibility issues. In the end I used the red fluorescent paint and installed a crimson trace laser which IMO is the perfect setup for me in all lighting conditions.

12. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    If you're willing to spend a little more, Brooks A-grip is real nice. It covers the entire grip and provides a comfortable yet positive traction on the grip. A little on the pricey side, but was worth it to me.

13. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007

Curt32,
    His sites are just painted with testors fluorescent paint. I did the same thing and ended up painting the rear site the same color as the front due to visibility issues with the green. The green really doesn't show up that well unless the lighting is just right. The testors fluorescent paint only comes in a package of 8 with numerous other fluorescent colors. Good luck finding it though because testors stopped making it. I had a time finding the package and lucked out finding it at a local craft store. It turned out though I could have saved myself some money by just using the fluorescent red for both front and rear sites. You can buy the fluorescent red by itself! I ended up drilling 3 holes in my slide to sort of pack the paint into the holes. The holes were drilled where the paint dots would be if you painted them. This way I don't have to be concerned about the paint ever coming off during cleaning. It worked out real well because the paint is actually recessed below the surface of the metal and I was able to make it pretty thick because of the depth of the holes.

I tried the nightsiters and really didn't care for them for daylight shooting. Visibility issues. In the end I used the red fluorescent paint and installed a crimson trace laser which IMO is the perfect setup for me in all lighting conditions.

[/quote]

Good luck finding it though because testors stopped making it. I had a time finding the package and lucked out finding it at a local craft store.

Well..........  ;)

http://www.brightsights.com/products.shtml

Tom j.

14. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    How did you secure yours to the grip they will slide around from what I've been told, Still waiting on Hogue haven't heard back yet.

Tom j.

15. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Do you have a picture of the agrip on a p3at? I'd like to see!!!

16. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  17. Devildog341

Devildog341 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Do you have a picture of the agrip on a p3at?  I'd like to see!!!
    [/quote]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    and just to add, the 1bad69 site has a picture with the Agrip and a Hougue over it. If I were doing it with the Houge I would have put the Agrip OVER the Hougue.

-Scott

19. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    How well does the mag release work with the Agrip installed?

20. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    The A-Grip is hideous IMO, but it is not likely to snag in a pocket like a rubber grip. I personally like the reassuring feeling of the little plastic diamonds in my hand - YMMV.